BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What nice trick have you found in case of bump against a car mirror to let your mirror jump from its place without falling on the ground and break in pieces?
I had a few years ago a Honda Pan European and the mirror was loose tightened with a kind of plastic strap. In case of bump, the mirror was not falling but kept hanging to the strap.
Have you tried to install anything similar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Chris:

Go here http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39112 and get these tethers. I have them and they have already paid for themselves 10 times over when I hit a big bump and the mirrors flew off. They were left dangling by the tethers instead of hitting the ground. Very much worth buying and easy to install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
neodoc said:
Chris:

Go here http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39112 and get these tethers. I have them and they have already paid for themselves 10 times over when I hit a big bump and the mirrors flew off. They were left dangling by the tethers instead of hitting the ground. Very much worth buying and easy to install.
AMEN! I'll second those tethers wether bought or handmade. They've paid for themselves several times over for me too.

Ride safe,
Steve S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Tie wraps work fine, for pennies too.

My dealer installed mine before I picked it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
Ty-wraps cut too easily. I had my first ones tethered with them, clipped a mirror lane splitting, and the mirror went flying. When I got home, half of the Ty-Wrap was still in the bracket, looked like it had been cut with a razor blade on the sharp edge of the hole in the bracket.

I switched to 135 pound test stainless steel nylon coated fishing leader, threaded through the mirror housing then crimped into a 1/4" ring tongue electrical lug, put that under the 6MM button head screw in the middle of the area where the mirror fits. That way it is easy to remove and replace the mirror completely by removing that screw, without cutting the tether.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,563 Posts
Um Dave, I don't think they have Wally-World in Paris. At least not yet, anyway. Maybe at Carrefour?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Nasty LT Mirrors

Go here and check out these mirrors. I have them and my mirrors don't drop on the ground. The electrical wires keep them from falling. AND, the mirrors are a great safety feature. Let's the person to either side see your intentions when cornering. Let's them see something beside the tail lights.
http://www.customdynamics.com/Signal_mirror.htm
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nasty LT mirror

Thanks to all of you for having shared your precious (mirror is rather expensive!) experience with me.

Just read the following for fun and tell me what you think about it:

Each time I tell the people that I ride motorcycles, you can bet the first reaction is " oh, motorcycle, that is so dangerous!"
My answer is always the same : "the most dangerous thing is life, there are 100% dead in the end!"

Ride slow, ride fast but ride safe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Triker said:
Go here and check out these mirrors. I have them and my mirrors don't drop on the ground. The electrical wires keep them from falling. AND, the mirrors are a great safety feature. Let's the person to either side see your intentions when cornering. Let's them see something beside the tail lights.
http://www.customdynamics.com/Signal_mirror.htm
:D
Was looking at those for a while, you just tipped the scales in their favor. True that the wire will act as a retention cable. Ordered my set!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
chris1951 said:
"the most dangerous thing is life, there are 100% dead in the end!"QUOTE]

or mine "Why is it no one want's to die, but everyone want's to go to heaven?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
Don't trust the electrical connections

edonthenet said:
Was looking at those for a while, you just tipped the scales in their favor. True that the wire will act as a retention cable. Ordered my set!
I have the same units on my LT. Forgot to to attach the tethers to the bike after pulling the tupperware on a maintenance. Walked around the bike bumped the mirror and it went all the way to the floor. :eek: The electrical connection did not hold the mirror. Thankfully I didn't bust the glass. :) I always double check that my stainless steel fishing line tethers are attached now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
My mirrors used to often pop off on a hard bump. I replaced the balls that the mirror snaps onto (at the suggestion of Chicago BMW) and re-bent the clips in the mirror base. I use wire tethers, but have not had a mirror pop off since the mods. Actually, not quite true -- I popped the left mirror when I ran into the ranger gate at Rocky Mt. NP; but that was my own fault.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
LTsaddledance said:
AMEN! I'll second those tethers wether bought or handmade. They've paid for themselves several times over for me too.

Ride safe,
Steve S.


Ditto. Have the Signal Mirrors with tethers, and the plastic casing holding the mirror to the frame broke-- and the tetheres kept the mirror in tact. Worth the small time and investment of installing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Well, unless struck with some very heavy force, I would find it hard to understand why the electrical connector would pull off :confused:
Regardless, a set of Eagle Claw 30 lb test fishing leaders purchased at Walmart for $1.66 a 10 pack in addition to the signal mirrors could be added for some insurance. I just find it hard to fathom anyone paying almost $20 for some wire that cannot cost over $1 in it's worst scenario to manufacture.
Ed
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top