BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,
A friend of mine and myself are planning a trip from Nashville, TN. to Jackson, WY. We plan to make the trip next summer in July. He lives in Atlanta and I live in Greensboro, NC. We plan to meet in Nashville then ride together to Jackson and spend several days touring Jackson Hole and Yellowstone park. I was in Yellowstone last year (air and car) and thought this would be a great place to visit on a bike.

We tentatively plan five days out, five days there, five days back. I’m sure some of you have made all or part of this trip and perhaps can suggest some routes. I don’t really want to spend five days on the freeway.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Smith ’05 Dark Graphite

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stop in West Yellow Stone for the night. There is a micro brew called the Wolfpack on main street. Very good beer. We rode a rented K1200LT through Yellowstone on our honeymoon this past July. Great area.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Two other places to consider here in WY, my 'favorite' two to visit on the way to somplace else.

Thermopolis - State Hot Springs park
Shoshoni - home of the Yellowstone Drug store, worlds greatest shakes and malts.

Don't plan on more than a lunch stop in Shoshoni - there ain't but nothing else there.

Holler on your way through - better yet, a couple days a'fore - got a garage for whatever and if needed, even a place to park, coffe, etc, etc.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Jackson / Yellowstone

Check out the ride report from our 2004 Yellowstone trip for some ideas. The ride from the Northwest gate of Yellowstone to Redlodge MT is one of the most beutiful in the country

I heard Beartooth still wasn't open due to the mudslides but should be open again by the time of your trip.

Heading out from MN we take the freeway and make as many miles west as fast as we can to get to where the really fantastic riding is. Don't get me wrong we have taken just about every back country road there is to take in the last 30+ years of riding west from MN, I'd just rather get there ASAP.

PM me if you have any questions.

Dave

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you get a chance go through the Black hills, Sturgis, Spearfish, Rapid City areas. All in the S.W. Corner of South Dakota. From there it a short trip to Devils Tower in the N.E. corner of Wyoming then shoot up to Sheridan, Wy which will take you to 14 ALT. That road is very nice. Riding along high bluff areas and that will take you into Cody (East Entrance of Yellowstone) or you can ride up to Beartooth pass and come down into Yellowstone from the North.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts