BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Well I finally got my new to me 99 Lt, 44k miles and in very good condition.

Even after careful measurements:( when I got the bike home I discovered it is about an inch and a half/four cms too wide at the mirrors to bring into the shed. But that inch and a half is concrete on both sides so the bike just won't fit!!

My solution so far has been to clip off the mirrors but from reading about how easy it is for the mirrors to pop off I expect I am not doing the clips any favours by doing that every day.

So my question is are there narrower mirrors available to fit the mounts or some kind of folding mirrors from one of BMW cars might fit (long shot!!). Has anyone else had this problem and what kinds of solutions have you found.

Thanks for your help.

Gerry

·
Registered
285 Posts
The only option I know of is the RS GT mirrors that mount on the handle bars

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would work but it still means removing the original mirrors. It wouldn't look right with the original mirrors removed.

I just thought someone might have had a similar problem to me and found a good solution.

And here's a photo of the bike in the garden :)

I had problems trying to post on the forum for the last week or so.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
The fittings on the mirrors should be well lubricated with grease to allow the wires to grip the pins. With good lubrication it should not be an issue to remove and re-install. But I would not want to do that every day I rode the bike. Maybe rent a small air chisel and carve an opening in each side of the doorway?

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
+1 on widening the doorway…. I originally wanted to be able to move my LT into the backyard to do routine maintenance under my patio cover. Unfortunately, the two gates it has to pass through are too narrow (currently) to do so, and am thinking about widening the gates a little to accommodate it. :wave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have the mirror fittings well lubricated and also have them secured in case they do pop off but still can't help feeling it won't be good to remove and attach them every day.

I think I might go with the widening of gate idea if there is no other option.

Thanks for your help and any other ideas welcome.

Gerry

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
I do have the mirror fittings well lubricated and also have them secured in case they do pop off but still can't help feeling it won't be good to remove and attach them every day.

Gerry
You needed a wider gate anyway. :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Can you make an angled approach to the entryway?

If you can, then one mirror will cross the threshold before the other. This may allow you to tip the bike just enough to clear the mirrors and get in. It may be sporty on the way back out, but hey...you only talked about getting in! :D

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Can you make an angled approach to the entryway?

If you can, then one mirror will cross the threshold before the other. This may allow you to tip the bike just enough to clear the mirrors and get in. It may be sporty on the way back out, but hey...you only talked about getting in! :D
Interesting idea. If it works, and if the shed is big enough, he could go with one of those metal turning disk things; you park the bike on it, then spin it 180 degrees and ride out.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Bruce Wayne May have a spare in the Bat Cave

·
Registered
57 Posts
Diamond blade on a 4.5 inch angle grinder, about $30.00 US, bury the blade on both sides all the way down. Then chisel away, a roto hammer is good for this. Holding a soaking sponge against the blade helps with the dust, but wear eye protection and a good dust mask. Make sure you add a couple of extra inches, read that a foot, sometimes I seem to need more room, just saying. Really won't take long and it helps if you have a friend that is a tile setter,(he already has the tools), but a BFH and a steel chisel will do a lot of work, just be careful. Enjoy your bike and remodeled shed.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts

Gerry
Not really much help here, but it sounds like you only have to remove one mirror to get through the door. It's at least half the wear of removing both.
Maybe some kind of hinge/latch setup instead of the current mirror fittings.
The only reason to remove the mirror is to get it out of the way for removing
other items. With a hinge placement that allows for that, seems like it could work. Mirror may not be as stable is the downside.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am surprised, as long as these bikes have been around, that no one is making a cover for the mirror mount areas. Looks like it would be pretty simple and would narrow the machine down by almost a foot (I think. I would have to look again at the width of the handlebars).

I replaced the radio control head in front of the sting-ray with a nice piece of redwood burl shaped to take the place of the control head when I removed all the radio and commo gear from the bike (as I never have used it)(makes a very large glove box). Perhaps that would be a way to remove those troublesome mirrors and dress the area up somewhat. I will see what I might be able to build and put some pictures up here the next couple days. (I have and use the RT mirrors instead of the LT originals).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts