BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Planning a trip from Az to the wine country in California the end of April. Could use any suggestions on what one should do and see. We will be traveling with a group of bikes and would love to make this an exceptional trip.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I patrol that area. There is alot o great riding, food, wine tasting, in the Napa Valley. The surrounding bay area also has great scenery, museums, etc. Give me an idea of what you would like to do? More riding, wine tasting, etc.

Mike Ericson
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400

·
Registered
197 Posts
Things to do

Mike are you one of those guys on the RTP's. I loved it, every corner I turned there was one. Alpharetta, GA north suburb of ATL they have 4 or 5 rtps now, but in the bay area they were all over. CHP's mainly.

Just got back from a week vacation in the Bay area. Lots of awsome things to see and do, specially on a bike, saw a lot fo rented GS's riding all over. Muir Woods was nice, great riding roads on the area, North of San Fran, west of Sausalito, ride 1 north close to the ocean very cool views. Napa Valley, from Sausalito take 37 west to 121 North follow 121 till 29 North and all the vineyards are there, BUT Silverado Trail runs parallel to 29 and that was an even better and more scenic road. Another road we took and it was great is Dry Creek Road, connects Napa and Sonoma, awsome twisties.

Now if you really have the time, 80 to Sacramento, than 50 to Tahoe, man while driving our rental with the wife I could just imagine us on our LT going up that road (50). One day I will truck my LT to Vegas and do all of those magnificent road.

Now if mikerd400 patrols the area he will know even more than me. Like I said I just spend a week there with the wife so all the road names and numbers are fresh on my mind. Hey mike btw is the rd400 means you have or like Yamaha RD 400's. I have rebuilt 3 of those love them.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey Darcy,

Yeah, I'm a CHP Officer. I can't complain that I get to patrol the Napa Valley. We only have one motor, so I can't get on one yet. I get to patrol in the white camaro, so not too bad. I get paid to drive the Napa Valley in a sports car.

We have alot of great riding here (the whole bay area). I'll provide any info on riding, or whatever activities someone would like.

And yes, I have two RD400's left. I have twin 7 year old boys, so I am going to give the RD's to the boys. I have owned a few over the years. Thet are a blast to ride. I do love my GS though.

Mike

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Also check Pashnit for great info on the local roads.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey, Darcy, I live in the Vegas area and ride just about everyday..I'm retired so riding is now my passion and avocation..Just got back from a 170 mile ride via the Lake Mead north shore to Mesquite and back..Nice road to ride with a a couple of rough spots but very enjoyable with minimal traffic..Give me a holler if you get out this way..Ride safe..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Napa Valley Wine Train

If you have the time and the bucks - take a lunch ride on the Napa Valley Wine Train. Also, don't forget to check out the other side of Napa - going thru the city itself. And the Sonoma area is great, Petaluma......

Skylark's wife, Beady aka Victoria

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
1933 said:
Planning a trip from Az to the wine country in California the end of April. Could use any suggestions on what one should do and see. ....
Howdy Greg,

I just want "second" Ken's recommendation to go to PASHNIT .com and it will be a great resource. After you go to the this link, scroll down a bit and there is a list of roads with links to information.

Another recommendation is to "hang out" on the LT NorCal regional board. You can fling ideas out and we'll be happy to share ideas.

Our group rides Napa and the Sierra's quite frequently and extensively. Depending on what your groups needs are, we can make recommendations that make sense.

Note: it looks like Tim has added a subscription to get to some portions of the site. $20 is a great deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts