BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So five of us met for coffee this morning at Cafe Bernardo. Raffy, John, Jim, Roger and myself. After a half hour of good conversation Jim, Roger and I left for Napa via Winters and the usual Berryessa loop (John and Raffy had family duties)

1st stop was the RV camp ground on the river just out side of Winters. None of us had stopped there before and it seemed like a scenic spot to enjoy a soda -

There were river otters splashing around and a few large trout ready to be caught...

Another brief stop at the corners for a Bloody Mary then off to Napa to the Bistro Don Giovanni. Met up with another friend there so we had four for lunch. The food was EXCELLENT, especially the salmon chowder:) In case any of you were wondering, the infamous Red Rockster has a new happy home in Napa:D

Jim valet parks the Rockster...

Scott had been unable to ride with us to lunch so we figured out our return route, 29 to 20 to 16(Capay Valley) and he was going to ride in that direction and meet us along the way.

We had a pleasant and uneventful ride through the valley and over the hill to Middletown. We had been taking our time and stopped twice for pictures and gas so by the time we turned south onto Hwy 16 it had been two hours since I had spoken to Scott and we hadn't run into him yet. Well.............8 miles down 16 there he is sitting on a rock by the side of the road. The Ducati another 100 feet further down and as I passed noticed a quite flat front tire.
No problem I'm thinking as I walk back up the road, I have my Stop and GO tire repair kit.

Well as it turns out the kit wasn't designed to fix this -

Scott had come around the last corner and found two HUGE rocks in the road, one of which he hit dead center but still managed to keep the bike up -

BIG ASS ROCKS!!

We figured that getting a tow out in the middle of BFE wasn't going to be easy so Roger and Jim stayed with Scott and I rode home and hooked up the Kendon that I've more or less permanantly borrowed from Larry M (thanks Larry) Three hours later I returned and we muscled the bike on to the trailer because the wheel is bent so badly that it won't rotate all the way round.

Everybody is home safe and sound, just a few hours later than planned:p

Scott I'm really glad you're OK. Good job keeping that bike rubber side down!!!

All of today's photos can be seen here - http://www.sealec.com/ted/album10?page=1

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw

This trailer is for sale. $1250. If you're interested, send me a PM

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Whew

:eek: :eek: :eek: Glad you're okay Scott!! Sorry to see the Duc in such a bad way.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
That is one sharp looking Rockster! Whose is it?

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dshealey said:
That is one sharp looking Rockster! Whose is it?
It now belongs to a customer of mine who lives in Napa. A&S had the bike custom painted almost a year ago. Took me awhile to find a home for it:D

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts
Thanks Raffy, It was probably one of the most scary times I have ever had a on a street bike. I came around a curve and was approaching a Toyota Forerunner at about 35 when I saw him bounce wildly in the air. There were small rocks spread from the centerline of the road to the right side but the two big ones were just right of the center line and in the middle of my lane. I had no way to avoid them based on the line I picked to so I just decided instead of slamming on the brakes I had better ride over it. Front end took it well but the back end of the bike really went sideways. I thought I was gonna do down but the bike straightened out and I rode to a safe stop up the road.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Scotty
Nice to see you still have a smile after something like that !! :D
Glad you came out of it just fine.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Bummer!! Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

Would you be willing to try that on your LT and report back as to handeling characteristics, distance in the air, last thoughts and lasting impressions.
Just wondering?

Doug

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
Perspective...

scottydawg said:
There were small rocks spread from the centerline of the road to the right side but the two big ones were just right of the center line and in the middle of my lane. ..... I thought I was gonna do down but the bike straightened out and I rode to a safe stop up the road.
I am very happy that you made it through that unscathed. :thumb:

It puts the value of the machinery into perspective. The wheel for the Duc, "moderately expensive"; Scott without injury, "priceless". :)

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts
If you give me a Michelin Man suit to wear I would be willing to do that test. I did speculate how my other bikes would have handled the same situation and I just don't know, I think the rear end of the LT would not have gone sideways as much as I felt like the Duc did but I also don't know how the front end would have taken the rock. I think in most situations this would have ended in disaster and I was just really lucky and very blessed to come out of it how I did.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Hey Dawg,
I guess we finally figured out your breed - Your a Rock Hound! :thumb:

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
amarider said:
Hey Dawg,
I guess we finally figured out your breed - Your a Rock Hound! :thumb:
Now that's funny right there:D

·
Registered
766 Posts
How lucky you guys had spoken earlier and were on the same road! So glad your O.K. Scott ! :) :) :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts