BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the NAPA Gold 3032 fuel filter kit as mentioned by Kurt in the Northern Illinois BMW Club service video. My BMW dealer wanted $32.50 for the OEM fuel filter and an additional $1.99 per clamp. The NAPA kit cost $2.94 and included four clamps and two hoses. I'll assume the included NAPA fuel hoses are not fuel submersible.

Before I venture into unknown territory, are the clamps in the 3032 kit (photo attached) recommended for use with the fuel system or should I purchase identical clamps to the ones used by BMW?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
I purchased the NAPA Gold 3032 fuel filter kit as mentioned by Kurt in the Northern Illinois BMW Club service video. My BMW dealer wanted $32.50 for the OEM fuel filter and an additional $1.99 per clamp. The NAPA kit cost $2.94 and included four clamps and two hoses. I'll assume the included NAPA fuel hoses are not fuel submersible.

Before I venture into unknown territory, are the clamps in the 3032 kit (photo attached) recommended for use with the fuel system or should I purchase identical clamps to the ones used by BMW?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

Rob,
I used these over the course of owing the LT. If your LT is older I would look at replacing the hoses in the fuel tank. I also replaced the BMW clamps with screw hose clamps for fuel line.
Never had any troubles.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Rob,

Are you positive Kirk recommended use of the fuel line and clamps pictured, or just the Napa Gold 3032 fuel filter? I wouldn't use the fuel line and clamps shown in your pictures, as they look like they're designed to be inside the engine compartment for a carburetor equipped car.

The fuel lines inside the tank must be submersible and the clamps sufficient to handle fuel injection system pressures. My previous filter was a Napa Gold 3032 (cost in 6/13 was $4.29), but I re-used the old fuel line and Oetiker clamps. After serving as the 2015 CCR donor bike at John Zeiler's maintenance demo, I now have genuine BMW filters and fuel line and new Oetiker clamps.

Go ahead with the 3032, but buy good submersible lines and I'd recommend using the Oetiker clamps instead of the screw on versions. :bmw:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob,

Are you positive Kirk recommended use of the fuel line and clamps pictured, or just the Napa Gold 3032 fuel filter?

Go ahead with the 3032, but buy good submersible lines and I'd recommend using the Oetiker clamps instead of the screw on versions. :bmw:
Dave,

Kurt's video made no mention of using the clamps or fuel line with the kit, only the fuel filter. I spoke to the NAPA sales clerk and he did not believe the kit hose was submersible based upon the inexpensive price. I guess fuel submersible hoses are expensive. I will not use the provided hoses.

My concern was whether the 3032 kit provided clamps would handle the fuel pressure versus reusing the Oetiker clamps? The safe bet is to make another trip to the auto parts store.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dave,
I'm curious why you would say this:
I wouldn't use the fuel line and clamps shown in your pictures, as they look like they're designed to be inside the engine compartment for a carburetor equipped car.
I spoke with my local NAPA store manager, someone whom I trust, and he said that the short hoses are indeed intended for in-tank use.

As for the idea of only using Oetiker clamps, well, I guess I have been lucky. I've used screw-type clamps in 4 fuel injected K bikes and have never had an issue. Of course, I've only put about 600,000 miles on them, so maybe my time is coming.....

And, just a side note, if you ever need to change a filter in bum f$%k Montana in the middle of the night, you'll be glad you had screw type connectors.

Just sayin.... :)

GB

·
Registered
315 Posts
The clamps should be EFI type that don't get into the hose. I would not use those in the kit cause they don't grip hard enough.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The clamps in that kit are not screw type. I would not trust them in an EFI system. I have used the worm gear type in EFI systems with no issues but never on an LT. Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts