BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following a stripdown (the bike not me) I've been examining my clutch friction plate.

Oh OK then, I was naked during the examination. It doesn't make me a bad person. Honesty is the best policy.

The friction material appears to be a mixture of fibrous material and sintered copper.

Streaks of copper are clearly visible on both friction surfaces merged between the other friction material.

Tiny slithers of copper which have worn off the surface can be found within the clutch bellhousing.

I'm not that familiar with dry clutches, is this a normal wear pattern?

The friction plate is dark in color but is dry with no apparent oil contamination.

Also - my leaking input shaft seal.........somebody on this forum posted a photo showing the seal having a felt upper surface. Mine is not like this. Could mine be the wrong seal or have the seals been updated or changed over the years?

I'll get dressed now before anybody replies.

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Some "transfer" of material is "normal". As the clutch material wears off you'll have some in the bell housing...like a dust. As the pressure plate breaks in, material is transferred to it from the clutch plate. There will also be material on the flywheel (that the pressure plate bolts to).

The felt is to help oil that seeps to transfer to the sides of the opening rather than "creep" down the shaft to the clutch... better to leak down the inside than get on the clutch... but, alas, eventually it will probably get to the clutch if it leaks enough... or if enough is slung around in the housing...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts