BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking the bike before I got gas for the week and had 15psi air in the back tire .. upon further investigation I found the nail..

I have 6k on the bike since I bought it... so its time for new...

Is it easier to take the tire off and take it in .... or try to ride it in?

Is it complicated to take the tire off? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
Leave the nail in the tire; for the time being it acts as a plug. You can fill up with air to a decent pressure and ride to the shop if you only have a slow leak. If after filling with air you can hear the leak then forget riding. In fact you may find it easier to remove the wheel from the bike while in your garage and take the car to drive to the shop. Also your exhaust will be cooler...;)
To remove the rear wheel put the bike on the center stand. You will need a Torx25 screwdriver and the lug wrench that comes with the tool kit. Remove the mud flap assembly (just 2 screws) that also holds your license plate.
Then remove the 4 outer bolts and the center bolt that hold the wheel to the final drive. The wheel can then be pulled to the left and rolled off the bike. You may have to wiggle a little with the wheel at an angle to get it completely out, but that is an easy task.
Re-installation is just reversing the steps. It may be a bot of a pain to keep the shim in place when you put the wheel back in, just be patient. Torque the wheel lugs per the manual (sorry I don't have that value handy at the moment but I know it is listed somewhere on the forum as well).
Oh, and be sure to re-install the mud flap (that also holds the license plate). Last time I didn't bother with it and took the bike for a test drive... without a license plate!:eek:
Then wash your hands, pat yourself on the back for saving money (Yes the dealer or tire shop will charge for labor if they have to remove and re-install the wheel for you. Enjoy a cold beer while admiring your bike in the garage...!;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
nail in tire

Cheaper too if you just bring them the wheel and the rear is a snap to remove and re install with the single sided swing arm. Got a torque wrench? The front is a bit more involved with twin disc brakes but still not hard, and I am not very mechanically inclined. Get a Clymers repair manual. Even if you don't want to do any of the work, you will learn a great deal about the bike.
Mike

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
If you ride it, I suggest not taking the interstate or other typical death road.

Removing the tire is quite simple.. even I did it. Just don't lose the spacer between the wheel and final drive.

To hold the wheel still have someone apply rear brake pressure... of course, have the bike on the Center Stand and the rear panel (where the license plate is mounted) removed... pull the bolts, slide off to the left ... gently lower and roll aft.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tire off

Thank you all .....

I have the tire off and will take it in tomorrow for a replacement. :dance:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
gaghai said: