BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just working under the seat on my 2000 LT and found a aftermarket toggle switch underneath the right side fuse holder. It has a red wire and a black wire that come from under the top case on the back. As far as I can see it turns to the right side of the bike and disappears. They are factory wires and they are the only two wires in the sheath. They are wired so when the switch is on the circuit is closed between the two wires, in the off position the circuit is open.

I don't know when it was added or by whom as I am the third owner. I have had the bke for 8 months but had never noticed the switch. It is pretty hard to see under the fuse holder.

There is also a single factory brown wire with a white stripe coming from the rear of the bike. It ends with a male single post plug. I don't see the other half of the plug any where.

Anyone have any ideas what either could be? I am work and don't have a camera with me. Any swags would be greatly appreciated. I didn't change the position of the switch and won't until I know what it is. It might be an ejection seat switch or something cool like that. :D

Thanks,

Sean

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,934 Posts
Sean,

I don't think the red/black sheathed wire is factory since there was never a toggle switch under the seat. One thing if it goes to the top case is it could be for the interior light as I think the early bikes did not have a lid interlock.

If you don't have the BC computer that could the reason you have the Brown with White stripe as it plugs into the BC switch on the right side switch cluster.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

The toggle switch is not factory but the wires that were cut and put on the switch look like they are a part of the factory wiring, same black casing with the same printing on it. The switch looked like it was positioned (jammed) under the fuse block so it could be reached just by lifting the riders seat.

I have a BC and it is operational, so I figure the brown wire wasn't a part of that. I figured it was a shot in the dark but was hoping someone might have done whatever mod one of the po's did...

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,934 Posts
The only other circuits I found with a Brown/White wire were the Turn signals and side stand switch. But then BMW's wiring diagrams leave a lot to be desired. Especially the electronic version.

The red wire on BMW's is usually unswitched power so I am sure that switch turns something on. You will just have to experiment with it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for checking for me. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Perhaps someone used the switch to control power to a ICE, DICE or whatever to play an ipod in place of the CD changer. Without a power switch, the battery would be drained

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
rspyder said:
Perhaps someone used the switch to control power to a ICE, DICE or whatever to play an ipod in place of the CD changer. Without a power switch, the battery would be drained
the battery would drain if the ipod was left connected, if you are having a battery issue, i can only assume the you would simply disconnect the ipod. unless you really wanted to remove the tupperware we all have grown to love!!!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Addendum: I mis-read the post. What I state below refers to a red/black wire (single wire) not a red and a black wire (two wires).
So....."Never mind."

Original reply:

Question for those who do have an anti-theft alarm: Do the lights flash and does the horn sound when the alarm is activated?

If the answer is yes, then I am even more confident that this wire is the power source for the alarm.

Under the topcase, back where the charcoal canister is/was located is a connector which is used to plug in the alarm system. If you don't have the alarm this plug will be present but unconnected.

Your prior owner may have used this wire to power something else and switch it under the seat. Some folks have installed a tire pump back there, seems reasonable to me that prior owner may have used the switch to power a tire pump or something.

Have fun.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Do you have an alarm system on your 2000?
I suspect (using the process of elimination looking at the schematic) that this is the power source of the alarm system. Even if you don't have the alarm, you will have the connection.

Question for those who do have an anti-theft alarm: Do the lights flash and does the horn sound when the alarm is activated?

If the answer is yes, then I am even more confident that this wire is the power source for the alarm.

Under the topcase, back where the charcoal canister is/was located is a connector which is used to plug in the alarm system. If you don't have the alarm this plug will be present but unconnected.

Your prior owner may have used this wire to power something else and switch it under the seat. Some folks have installed a tire pump back there, seems reasonable to me that prior owner may have used the switch to power a tire pump or something.

Have fun.
yes the horn honks & the lights flash when alarm is set or turned off

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think I remember reading somewhere that several owners had cut the brown engine mapping wire and put in a switch. Most people simply cut the wire and taped the ends. I wonder if your switch could be related to this.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
drifter36 said:
I think I remember reading somewhere that several owners had cut the brown engine mapping wire and put in a switch. Most people simply cut the wire and taped the ends. I wonder if your switch could be related to this.
That was my guess too. But without taking the top case off I won't know where the wires go.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
ipokebadgers said:
That was my guess too. But without taking the top case off I won't know where the wires go.

Thanks.
Hey, Sean - take a read in this post and it might help in your diagnosis. I did a search on *brown wire* and got 7 years worth of reading material :eek:, butt you should be able to get to the root of the situation with a leetle help from others who have performed the 'mod' on the earlier year model LTs. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts