BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

First time removing/installing front wheel(and rear for that matter). 2004KLT. Watched one of Kirk's videos. Removed wheels and local Cycle Gear shop installed
new Bridgestones and the FOBO TPMS bluetooth components for balancing. FYI - FOBO TPMS kit comes with steel stems that appear identical to the short straight Kurvey Girl stems. Everything went great with the tire mounting and balancing.

So I cleaned up the axle, bearing cap and spacer, applied new anti-seize to axle. I'm working kneeling on the left side of the bike, so I can work alignment on that side. Get the axle in to the point I need to tap gently with a mallet. All is going well and then this part drops from the right side of the bike about just rear of axle location. I have the axle fully in place and the bolt in hand tight.

I've gone through Clymers, can't find reference to this part. I've checked calipers, caliper mounted lights, fender mounting points - nothing jumps out at me.

It's just under 1" long and appears to be Aluminum.

Any help identifying appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
This is what the axle looks like.
Weird. You’re right. What’s that part?

IMG_1022.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I think that is one of the front fender spacers. #8 shows a tube spacer with no flair but the real picture shows it properly. It goes under the fender to support the bolt being tightened against the fork.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
I think that is one of the front fender spacers. #8 shows a tube spacer with no flair but the real picture shows it properly. It goes under the fender to support the bolt being tightened against the fork.
Is it perhaps #10 rather than #8?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Is it perhaps #10 rather than #8?
The picture isn't assembled correctly as parts go on both sides of the fender. The picture is of part #8. #10 has no separate picture but I do recognize it as one of the two fender spacers that are on the sides. Not taking my fender off to get a better pic but the only thing you can see from the outside is the bolt head. The rest is under the fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mystery solved then.
Awaiting confirmation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I had considered the fender mounting, but couldn't understand why only one. I found where it goes, it is inserted in the right side and left side bold hole locations for the fender and when the fender is in position this spacer prevents the fender from being crushed/cracked by the longer bolts. I couldn't figure why only one, then started thinking I'm going to have to find a source for the 2nd one. I moved aside a rag that has been at my knees on the left side of the bike when this happened, and out rolled the 2nd piece! It happened to fall at the same time but I never heard it or saw it. If I had seen 2 drop, I'd like to think I would have figured it out!

Thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts