BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About three weeks ago, I had the bike apart, while apart I changed the fuel filter. Bike has run fine since. This morning on my way to work I smell gas. When I get to work and get in the office, my right boot and pant leg smell like gas. Bottom line, I take off two hours from work, get home, take apart right side, and cannot find anything leaking (It did not have the strong gas odor as it did this morning). Started it up, ran up to 3k rpm, move the fuel hoses every which way, fans kicked on, and no leaks. I did tightened the big cap nut some and gave two hose clamps extra tightness. When I did change the fuel filter I changed the cap nut washer.
****2000 LT - NO QUICK DIS-CONNECTS****
Possibilities - Since the bike only sat for two days. Is it possible that due to the cold weather (40 degrees in the garage), that fuel could have leaked from the cap nut?
I am going to button it up and see what happens tomorrow morning.
Any suggestions appreciated!
 

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are not worm style. I got some good movement on the large cap nut. I am thinking that since the weather cooled that the gas may have been seeping through the gasket. I did not see anything on the floor, nor did I smell anything before starting the bike this morning, but as soon as I got to my first stop sign, I started smelling gasoline. I will wait and see what tomorrow morning brings!
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,257 Posts
I think you hit it on the head Mike. I have had leaks there before and a quick removal and clean up of the gasket usually fixed it. Since yours was new it most likely didn't get tight enough on the first go around. I usually use a little lube between the nut and the metal base of the pump (none on the gasket) just to make sure it does get tight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
I had a cold leak like that once. It would go away before I got to work. It was a bear to find. It was just a clamp that was a couple of turns too loose. Once it warmed up it quit leaking. I finally found it one cold morning while I had the tupperware off when I started it....Good luck...... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Probably your quick disconects on the right side of the bike are leaking. They will spray gas when under pressure and soak your right boot, as happened to me. Before you become a Budist monk replica and go up in flames, change the quick disconnects. There are plenty of articles addressing this issue.
Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
BigGeo, Mike posted that he has no QD's - so that's not the issue.


I had such mystery leak myself this October, a few days before a 6-day loop into northern Quebec. Got me really worried.

I had the bike on the sidestand when I noticed it: dripping down the left valve cover. I was warming it up after sitting in the garage for possibly a couple of months.
I took the Tupperware off, but could not see anything leaking when I restarted it.

For next couple of days, I would let the bike cool off - presumably - in the garage, then restart each morning, but there was still no repeated leaks.

My theory was that some clamp was just a bit loose and once the bike warmed up it got back into shape. I re-tightened all fuel rail clamps, changed QD O-rings just in case, and did not have the problem reoccur since. The trip was good.

We'll see in the spring, now that the bike is mothballed for the winter.
 

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far for the past two days it has been fine. I did tighten the cap nut and snugged the two hose clamps. Tomorrow morning the temperatures will be in the twenty's, so that will be the test. My darn boot still has a slight odor of gas. I guess it will take some time for that small to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
mtrevelino said:
So far for the past two days it has been fine. I did tighten the cap nut and snugged the two hose clamps. Tomorrow morning the temperatures will be in the twenty's, so that will be the test. My darn boot still has a slight odor of gas. I guess it will take some time for that small to go.
Sprinkle it (your boot!) inside and out liberally with some Baking Soda and let it sit for a few hours. Nobody likes explosive feet! :kaboom::eek: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Mine was leaking from the end of the hose where it clamps onto the 90 degree tubing outlet from the tank fitting.

Since the hoses were old I replaced them with standard fuel injection hose and new clamps with no further trouble.

Good luck.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
EncoreJoe said:
Mine was leaking from the end of the hose where it clamps onto the 90 degree tubing outlet from the tank fitting.

Since the hoses were old I replaced them with standard fuel injection hose and new clamps with no further trouble.

Good luck.

Joe
1+
Mine was shooting out toward the tupperware between the hose and the copper colored elbow. My fix was to add a second hose clamp to increase the surface area.

BTW does anyone have a cheap price on the tool to remove the big cap... I have use enormous locking pliers but they seem to do more harm than good.
If so thanks.

I know that when I first put it all back together after routing hose to the rear of the bike to put a filter under the seat, I had a leak at the cap but those are usually seen regardless of if the bike is running. If you only have a leak when the bike is running... it's your hoses.
 

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
atrovarious said:
BTW does anyone have a cheap price on the tool to remove the big cap... I have use enormous locking pliers but they seem to do more harm than good.
From my previous life in the plumbing field, I have a 16-inch channel lock pliers. The jaw can handle anything up to about 3-1/2 to 4-inches wide. The cap nut does not show any signs of damage from it. I just think that I did not put enough twist on the cap nut to fully tighten it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
650 Posts
To take the big fuel tank cap off you can use:
1. the handle end of pliers and squeezed hard together
2. one of those belt wrenches(used to remove auto oil filters) - usually at discount stores in a packet of two in small and large
I hand tighten back on or use the tools above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
I was out of town for a couple weeks and when I returned I could smell fuel. Checked and gas was dripping on right side, slow drip. Thought QD and took off side and it is dripping from cap nut. does the gasket ever just go bad? Does the tank have to be completly removed to change fuel filter if I have to go that far?
 

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The gasket should not go bad. For me, it was the third time that I had to tighten the big nut to get it to stop leaking. This week, it was in the low 20's and no leaks. I think that I am set until the next filter change. The last time I changed the filter I did not have this problem. I am wondering if I should have put some type of lubricant on the gasket, but I do not think that it is recommended????
Anyway, try to tighten the nut to see if it stops. I know that Florida has been getting some cold temperatures lately. The cold weather must have something to do with the gasket shrinking.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,257 Posts
mtrevelino said:
The gasket should not go bad. For me, it was the third time that I had to tighten the big nut to get it to stop leaking. This week, it was in the low 20's and no leaks. I think that I am set until the next filter change. The last time I changed the filter I did not have this problem. I am wondering if I should have put some type of lubricant on the gasket, but I do not think that it is recommended????
Anyway, try to tighten the nut to see if it stops. I know that Florida has been getting some cold temperatures lately. The cold weather must have something to do with the gasket shrinking.
You are right - no lube on the gasket. The gasket is between the pump plate and the tank and should be clean and dry. I always add a small bit of lube to the other side of the pump plate where it contacts the big nut. Makes getting it tight easier and less likely to twist the pump plate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
My money is on the quick disconnects. They have little o-rings that can get cripmed if you don't put them together with vaseline.

Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Well the QD are not leaking. It was coming from the big nut was dripping. I tightened it slightly last night and still dripping this morning. I took off the tank and took the nut off and fuel pump out and NO o-ring on the nut. The last service was a 24,000 mile one at BMW of Ft. Myers. I had it done at 50,000 miles. As far as I can see they owe me a gasket!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
I tried a huge pair of channel locks the first time I took the cap off but I was afraid I would chew the plastic up a bit so then it dawned on me to try one of my oil filter wrenches. I just use a regular metal oil filter wrench and it works great.

Dave
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,257 Posts
BMWWANDRR said:
Well the QD are not leaking. It was coming from the big nut was dripping. I tightened it slightly last night and still dripping this morning. I took off the tank and took the nut off and fuel pump out and NO o-ring on the nut. The last service was a 24,000 mile one at BMW of Ft. Myers. I had it done at 50,000 miles. As far as I can see they owe me a gasket!!!
There is no o-ring between the pump plate and nut. There is a sleeve gasket that inserts into the tank before the pump goes back in. The nut bears directly on the pump plate. The last time I replaced the fuel filter I couldn't get it tight enough to stop dripping. The solution was to pull it all apart and clean and thoroughly dry the gasket. Once I did that a quick snug of the nut and no leaks.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top