BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me please what this connector is for? The bike is a 1999 LT and the connector is mounted on the sub frame tube just behind the fuel pump connector, right hand side just below the fuel tank. The wires are Red, Yellow, Green to one side and thinner Yellow/Violet, Yellow, Brown to the other side.

I have the impression that when I took the plastic off (some time ago) the two halves were not connected.

I have connected them and run the engine (to heat up the oil for an oil change) and all seemed ok but as the wires are thinner on one side and not the same colours I'm wondering if it should be connected at all.

I've looked at the various wiring diagrams in the Clymer manual and can't find any clue there.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Not positive what you're describing, wiring color-wise, but there is a connector for a spare power outlet on that side. That is, should you decide to purchase the plug holder and install.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yep.. wiring for right side power outlet...

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but no, it's not for the power outlet, the power outlet plug has two wires red/yellow and brown and I have identified that.

The mystery one is both a plug and socket connector, if you have the Clymer book you can see it on page 240 figure 6.

Figure 6 shows the fuel pump connector and my mystery connector can be seen just to the upper left of it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Was reverse working ok? There is a Y, Y/V,BR shown in the wiring diagram for the reverse speed sensor. Odd that the colors would change at a connector.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
It is the reverser speed sensor. The wires are smaller on the bike side and different colors. I just went out and looked at mine(it is apart for shock change).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help guys, knowing that it should be connected has stopped me worrying about it, I was concerned that I might have connected two things that were not meant to be connected.

Bit of background regarding my old LT if anyone's interested:

The bike hasn't been on the road since the brake light failure some time ago (corroded connection now fixed) and I've finally got around to some servicing while the plastic is off.

This is my first attempt at servicing this bike and over head cams and bucket tappets are new to me so I've been putting it off. All filters changed now and I'm just about to re-fit the cams (only one bucket needed replacing).

As the ABS fault lights had recently come on when the bike was on the road I took the opportunity to fit the re-set wire in the ABS unit and it re-set OK but the fault code (using the meter method) said the unit itself is faulty so I've flushed some fresh fluid through (including the unit bleeders) but I'm not expecting the fault lights to stay off. If the fault does persist I plan to do an ABSectomy.

I've also noticed a slight corrosion weep on the core of the left rad, (does it ever end? No? thought not, ho hum). Hoping to be able to solder/braise that.

Thanks again to all. Great forum.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
UACT said:
If the fault does persist I plan to do an ABSectomy.

Thanks again to all. Great forum.
No need to do that as a faulty ABS II unit is transparent to the brake process. You will see no difference in brake performance with it in or out. You just won't have the anti-lock feature (which you don't have with the fault anyway). Just disconnect the electrics to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts