BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Mystery 6th Gear?

3K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  messenger13 
#1 ·
With colder weather here (20s in the morning when I leave for work), I've noticed 2 things:

1. The first few shifts are very difficult. Transmission feels very sluggish and those first shifts are way too tough. There's another thread already about that, so I'll let that one go.

2. During the same temps, and before the bike warms up, I've noticed a very clear "6" displayed on the dash's gear indicator. It's random, but it's there. I've seen it when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and downshifting into 3rd, 2nd, and 1st. It displays briefly, right before displaying the correct gear.

Kind of neat. Makes me wonder if they use the same chip/circuit board/LCD or whatever for a bike with a 6th gear. Anyone ever seen this on an LT?

#4 ·
The K1200RS has a very similar motor and transmission with a sixth gear. Sixth was removed on the LT to allow room for Reverse.

#6 ·
Howard, does the cold temp hard shift continue throughout the ride or just till the trans oil warms up? Mine exhibits similar hard shifting on cold MI mornings but goes back to normal smooth shifting after a few miles and trans oil is warmed. I use synthetic and it is not a noticable difference in cold morning hard shifts from previous non-synthetic.

#9 ·
I've been using synthetic for the past 4,000 miles in the trannie, and with the 45-50-55 degree mornings lately, it is NOT making any difference..........well, maybe I should say that while the degree of difficulty may be less....the stiffness/slamming into gear is still there.............my .05cents.

#10 ·
hdfan said:
I'm more concerned that you are looking at your dash while you shift...:)
Good point, but my attention was definitely focused on the display when I realized that there was NO indication of gear. The LCD refreshes very slow at colder temps. Apparently, I'd forgotten this since last winter.

#11 ·
mostlyirish said:
Howard, does the cold temp hard shift continue throughout the ride or just till the trans oil warms up? Mine exhibits similar hard shifting on cold MI mornings but goes back to normal smooth shifting after a few miles and trans oil is warmed. I use synthetic and it is not a noticable difference in cold morning hard shifts from previous non-synthetic.
Once the tranny is warmed up (just a little is all it takes) it shifts much smoother. I'll switch to synthetic at my 24k service, which is due very soon.

#12 ·
ATFLT said:
It could be a little moisture in the cool morning air. I had a Suzuki GT750 with a gear indicator that showed 8th gear one time in the rain. In a few miles after the rain it was back to 5th.
It was a definite reading of a big ole fat "6". Very clear -- no moisture on the LCD or behind the display.

#13 ·
Thought you might like this Pic
I looked at adding a 6th gear to my Triumph legend, in fact someone had done the job to his bike.

Attachments

#14 ·
hschisler said:
With colder weather here (20s in the morning when I leave for work), I've noticed 2 things:

1. The first few shifts are very difficult. Transmission feels very sluggish and those first shifts are way too tough. There's another thread already about that, so I'll let that one go.

Mine was like that as well, till it got someohwere around 50k miles on it, then it seemed to shit smooth all the time, still does even at more than 132k

#15 ·
Just can't stop myself

tmgs said:
... till it got someohwere around 50k miles on it, then it seemed to shit smooth all the time, still does even at more than 132k
Mine smoothed out more after a dietary adjustment ... Sorry, it just had to be commented on.:)

#16 ·
Good Morning Howard:

Riding in the 20's has its quirks. Yes the tranny shifts a lil harder at lower RPMs when its that cold. Try up-shifting later when the engine gets into the higher RPM range, say about 6-7K. This does 2 things; it increases gear speed for a smoother mesh, and it warms the tranny up faster.

The other thing you may notice is that the cruise control wont work. At least on the '02 with replacement cables at under 45 degrees F.

Hope this helps.

#18 ·
I would love to have a sixth gear on the LT but not on top. I would like to see a lower first, one that would make it easy to take off on a hill with two up or pulling a trailer. Would let the clutch last forever also. Who needs a first gear on a touring bike that reaches almost 60mph at 8K? Fifth is just fine as the bike loves to purr along at 4 to 5K all day long and still get 45 to 50mpg.

#19 ·
Howard, We had BMW install that just for you. We knew it would drive you nutz. :D

#20 ·
dmatson said:
I would love to have a sixth gear on the LT but not on top. I would like to see a lower first, one that would make it easy to take off on a hill with two up or pulling a trailer. Would let the clutch last forever also. Who needs a first gear on a touring bike that reaches almost 60mph at 8K? Fifth is just fine as the bike loves to purr along at 4 to 5K all day long and still get 45 to 50mpg.
Man do I agree with that! If my bike wasn't under warranty, I’d explore gear rearrangement options....would also help slow speed maneuvers. Wouldn’t even need 6, just a lower first and having to shift to 2nd sooner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.