BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was trying to plan a 306 miles ride for tomorrow through some new areas and decided to create the route to load to my Navigator VI. After getting frustrated with Basecamp and its ancient usability I decided to try and find something better. I stumbled on to MyRoute App.

This is night and day difference to Basecamp. One can get a two week trial after there are various subscription services. I signed up for the free trial (no form of payment required) and watched one 6 minute tutorial which was very well done. I planned out my ride in about ten minutes. It worked well and has a modern interface unlike Basecamp.

When one clicks on the EXPORT button there is a drop down to choose between about ten different formats (Modern Garmins, Tom Toms, BMW Navigator IV or V & VI plus many others). I chose the one for my Navigator VI and in 90 seconds it had transferred the trip to my Nav VI. It was so simple. Definitely check it out.

·
Cat Herder
1,475 Posts
Base Camp is so ancient. I can't understand why it runs so slowly yet the 5 GB worth of data and maps is already loaded. Google runs instantaneously and you can look anywhere in the world. I am definitely going to give this app a try. I can't do Garmin base camp anymore... it is just horrible.

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
52 Posts
Thanks for the lead on MyRoute-app, I will definitely give it a try.

I use Base Camp but am gritting my teeth every time I start it up as it is Sooooooo painful to work with. I always have Google Maps on one monitor and Base Camp on the other to find and nail down where I want to go.

Larry

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the lead on MyRoute-app, I will definitely give it a try.

I use Base Camp but am gritting my teeth every time I start it up as it is Sooooooo painful to work with. I always have Google Maps on one monitor and Base Camp on the other to find and nail down where I want to go.

Larry
No kidding, frustrating as hell. I only use my Navigator VI for route guidance but MyRoute-App also is available for IOS and Android so for those who use their phone for guidance it will work on their phones which is cool.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have been using My Route App for years. But be careful with the export to a BMW Nav. If you use New BMW or Gpx 1.1, unless they have fixed it, it will just give you a straight line route. You need to use Gpx 1.0, which works fine and gives you a route with waypoints. You can then go into the route and change the waypoints to shaping points if you want. There is a work around for gpx 1.1, but 1.1 just gives you a route with shaping points and no waypoints. I got an update from MRA and apparently they are doing an update in the future to allow you to plot a route using waypoints and shaping points. But it is not a hassle just changing them once the route is in the Nav

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
But it is not a hassle just changing them once the route is in the Nav
Thanks for this tip also, have been playing with My Route App this morning and think it will be a good tool once I get used to the workflow (as opposed to Base Camp where most of the workflow is yelling at the screen! :LOL:)

I'm making a trip out to Dearborn, MI in the spring and at first was trying to figure out how to make waypoints into overnight stopovers, and came across the Split-route feature which seems to be just the ticket. Exporting with Gpx 1.1 had exactly the issue you mentioned and 1.0 works fine.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks for this tip also, have been playing with My Route App this morning and think it will be a good tool once I get used to the workflow (as opposed to Base Camp where most of the workflow is yelling at the screen! :LOL:)

I'm making a trip out to Dearborn, MI in the spring and at first was trying to figure out how to make waypoints into overnight stopovers, and came across the Split-route feature which seems to be just the ticket. Exporting with Gpx 1.1 had exactly the issue you mentioned and 1.0 works fine.
I have discussed the 1.1 issue many times with the MRA team. It is apparently a Nav device issue with the import. There is a work around, but as I said, it seems pointless as I like to mix waypoints and shaping points, so I just sort out in the device after the load. The app is very good, support is good and they are moving the development forward. I do not mind paying a subscription for the tool as it is excellent and I have been using it for years.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
... I do not mind paying a subscription for the tool as it is excellent and I have been using it for years.
Very much agreed on the subscription and it is really neat to see their development roadmap as well as their courteous work with existing users on the forum.

I am leaning toward the routing-only subscription as I prefer using the GPS itself for navigation. If I do use my phone (rarely) I end up mostly using Waze to get both the nav and also some heads up on radar placements...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I rode my route this morning using the MyRoute App for the first time. I did export the 1.1 and had some initial issues. I pulled over on aside road and stop route guidance and restarted it and it worked fine.

nh1200c, I'm with you on the subscription, I'd also only need the routing only subscription.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think MyRoute is produced by Tyre, a British competitor to Basecamp. I'm a long time Tyre guy, and spent the somewhat long and a little scary task of putting a credit card up for Google map APIs. It hasn't charged my card yet, and Tyre is a good option if you're willing to invest a little time up-front. Very intuitive after that.

I suspect the new Tyre may be that way (not wanting to break anything on my end, so not ready to download the new version...). I also suspect the MyRoute is intuitive as well. Worth the 14 day trial if you can actually try it out before winter!

G'luck!

·
Registered
309 Posts
The guys that produce My Route App used to be part of the Tyre team. But they have nothing to do with Tyre now and MRA is not UK company, it is based in Scandinavia (for the US guys, that is another part of Europe ). Unlike Tyre it is produced by a full team of developers with support and a development road map. So it is a commercial application, hence why you need to pay a subscription for all the bells and whistles.

·
Cat Herder
1,475 Posts
I just updated to MyRouteapp. So far I like it and its much better than Base Camp and its faster with the map redraw like Google.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you create complex routes with other apps and other base maps, Garmin GPS sometimes give you funky results. Like having you do a 3,000 km detour.
How does that work out with MRA? Do they use the same base maps?

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
FWIW...I got turned on to Furkot a few years ago and now use it exclusively for trip planning. Very intuitive and easily loads files into my Nav IV. Base Camp is so clunky to use, it's laughable when compared with today's user friendly tech.

·
Registered
309 Posts
MRA uses HERE maps (Garmin) plus open source maps, plus Tom Tom maps. So you choose which maps to plan your route with, if you have a paid subscription, you can also compare your route with the other maps, to see if you give to someone else if there is any route variances due to their mapping. The only issue with the upload to garmin is the one I explained earlier with the two Garmin export formats, v1.0 and 1.1, the 1.1 is due to the garmin device and not MRA. But there is a work around. MRA are releasing an update that will allow in the route planning to add both waypoints and shaping points, so hopefully that will negate the issues with v1.1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts