BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My storage box with vanity mirror in the lid of the top case of my 2009 K12000LT tends to come open while riding, spilling the owner's manuals into the top case. The magnet closure just doesn't do the job. Now the plastic hinge on which the lid to this doc. box has broken. It appears replacable on each side of the lid. Has anyone experienced the same issue and designed a fix?

·
Registered
439 Posts
amwingman said:
My storage box with vanity mirror in the lid of the top case of my 2009 K12000LT tends to come open while riding, spilling the owner's manuals into the top case. The magnet closure just doesn't do the job. Now the plastic hinge on which the lid to this doc. box has broken. It appears replacable on each side of the lid. Has anyone experienced the same issue and designed a fix?
I replace the plastic part for the hinge once and it broke agian after a year. May have overloaded the top case a bit :eek:
I just got some very small wood screws and put them in for the hing funtion of the mirror on my 02.

Sorry don't have a picture handy.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
My 02 might be different, but not long after I owned the bike, I removed several items because I know I would not be using them and they would be in my way or were prone to breaking. One was the mirror. ( haven't figured out the purpose of the mirror) The other was the 6 CD changer.

I prefer the space and don't have to worry about the mirror breaking. It's available for the next owner.... I keep all of the manuals, along with insurance and important documents in several ziploc bags in my tool bag. Also keep some rags and handywips there too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You may just be putting too much stuff in there. The only thing that was in mine when I bought it back in 2002 was a couple of paper funnels. I keep the manuals, all 4 of them in the side case.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
dandiver said:
( haven't figured out the purpose of the mirror).
Hey Dan, my wife knows the purpose of the mirror. :) She's gotta check herself out in the mirror before we walk into a restaurant so that she knows what to be paranoid about. :rotf:

+1 on putting too much stuff in that little cubbie. I keep my manuals in plastic under the bagliner in the top case.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
BennyBob said:
Hey Dan, my wife knows the purpose of the mirror. :) She's gotta check herself out in the mirror before we walk into a restaurant so that she knows what to be paranoid about. :rotf:

+1 on putting too much stuff in that little cubbie. I keep my manuals in plastic under the bagliner in the top case.
Has your lovely bride seen this post, Benny? :D

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
You guys should try out SCUBA and see how you look after an hour or so under water..... Nose is running all over your face and all kinds of stuff in the hair.

Maybe that's why on the last diving trip off of Venice, Fl., Beach, last week, the boat captain was spraying us down with a hose after we surfaced and before he would let us back on the boat! Talk of "helmet hair." Here are a few of the sharks teeth we found on the bottom.

The strange one below the silver dollar is a prehistoric horse tooth.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
For the repair, I tried a different approach. I found some thick wall aluminum tubing the same diameter as the pin, trimmed back the broken plastic arm. Drilled 2 or 3 very small holes in the remaining plastic arm and "stitched" it back together with high strength braided fishing line. Slathered a layer of 5 minute epoxy over the remains to create a keep everything in place.

I've used this technique over the years on a lot of small broken plastic parts with good success.

jrh

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Steve_R said:
Has your lovely bride seen this post, Benny? :D
Yepper, Steve! But if she hadn't, Dick would tell her at the next RTE, ....unless I buy him lunch. ;) :D

She's a good sport. How else would she put up with me? :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dan,
Do you sell any of those teeth for mounting into jewelry? I have seen some with friends that dive in the Keys, and they have turned out rather nicely. What type of recovery were you doing when you came across these?

I, too, am a diver and that type of "treasure hunt" is exactly the type of thing I would love. What depth and with what equipment were you able to discover such nice specimens?

John

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
jcrowleyiv said:
Dan,
Do you sell any of those teeth for mounting into jewelry? I have seen some with friends that dive in the Keys, and they have turned out rather nicely. What type of recovery were you doing when you came across these?

I, too, am a diver and that type of "treasure hunt" is exactly the type of thing I would love. What depth and with what equipment were you able to discover such nice specimens?

John
Hi John,

Naaaaaa We just keep the little ones in a jar and the Megs on a flat trey as most have several imperfections and not really jewelry grade. I can't imagine wearing one around my neck. Habit forming to gather though and make a fun diving afternoon.

The SCUBA diving is rather basic, off of a local boat in the area, no more than a mile from shore at a depth of less than 30 feet. Millions of years ago this area must have attracted the Megalodon sharks and Manatees. We also find Manatee bones with serrations from the sharks teeth. The water temperature that day was 83 and the visibility was 5-10 feet. They are just sitting on the bottom in a rocky shell rubble of prehistoric stuff and there for the picking. Some are just out in the open and very obvious. Others are in hiding with just a tiny area sticking up.

I was told that there is a layer of clay below the sand that hold them and they gradually work their way up into the sand, based upon the wave action. Here is a link to the boat that the wive off of with a little more info..... Let me know if you are ever in the area and well "Ride to Dive!" Probably get Hans to go too.....

·
Registered
261 Posts
after breaking and replacing replacing the stock hinge, the warranty replacement hinge, and a third one that i paid for myself, i concluded that the design was not trustworthy.

personally, i went to the hardware store, purchased a box marked - industrial strength velcro, and fabricated a strapping system that holds the door shut with velcro straps that run across the opening.

i keep the factory manuals, my service records in the technical manual, and the BMW supplied dealer freference and funnels in there.

havn't had a single issue since i put this 'fix' in place.

g.

·
Old Dawg
3,281 Posts
Almost everyone I know that has a broken vanity mirror had too much stuff in there. I wouldn't put much in there at all, maybe your registration and a map or something at most.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have to keep reminding my SO that there's a mirror there. She's much more practical and just takes a look at herself in my rear views.

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
The vanity mirror on my '05 broke today. :( I've been keeping the manuals, the paper funnels (I have no idea why I have kept those...), proof of insurance and registration in that little pocket. I know it's "fighting city hall", but I can't see why following BMW's lead by keeping the manuals (the heaviest of all the above items) in the vanity pocket is overloading those cheap plastic hinges.

The right hinge broke. The left is still intact. For now, the manuals are riding in the toolkit in a side case, and the magnet and the left hinge are holding the lid in place. I'll have to mock up something permanently.

Does anyone know what this part costs to replace?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts