BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey NW Riders! Spring is coming! It's time to plan for a season of fun riding and saving money enjoying our economical motorbikes. ;) Here is a brief ride report of a fun trip I made last Fall, and if you happen to be in the area be sure to check it out.

Last September I rode our LTE with my friend Mark H, he on his 2001 Honda VFR, and went for a little week long ride to Tennessee and North Carolina. We were actually going to see my daughter's new home in Tuscaloosa, AL but it made sense to make a trip to see what the hub-bub was all about on the Tail-Of-The-Dragon. We also made a stop at the Barber Motorsports Museum that is a must see if you are ever in the area.

The road is well paved and fun to ride when the slowpokes are not in your way. We had one close call coming around a corner and finding a tractor trailer high-centered in a turn and blocking the road. :wow:

Comparing the "Dragon" with the many roads here on the west it ranks well but not a highway 12 in Idaho or 36, 3 and 299 in northern CA where we don't have the mega bike traffic and lookie-loo drivers that the "Dragon" seems to be plagued with. If you are in the area though be sure to check it out!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hello Ernie. How are you?
The last time we talked you said you had diagnostic tools to check my O2 sensor. Last year on my 8,300 mile ride to the BMOA rally, my gas mileage seemed to drop and Sturgis BMW said the code told them that the O2 sensor was toast. I installed a new one that was recommended in the forum (one intended on a BMW auto) and the mileage still seems quite low at about 40 for very calm, smooth riding.
Can you help?
Larry Kniess

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ernie,

Great post and pictures. Just what I needed on a rainy day to help me think, and plan for riding this year. :D

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lkniess said:
Hello Ernie. How are you?
The last time we talked you said you had diagnostic tools to check my O2 sensor. Last year on my 8,300 mile ride to the BMOA rally, my gas mileage seemed to drop and Sturgis BMW said the code told them that the O2 sensor was toast. I installed a new one that was recommended in the forum (one intended on a BMW auto) and the mileage still seems quite low at about 40 for very calm, smooth riding.
Can you help?
Larry Kniess
PM sent...

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clayton said:
Ernie,

Great post and pictures. Just what I needed on a rainy day to help me think, and plan for riding this year. :D
As I recall you made a lap or two on the Dragon a couple years back, eh?
:bmw:

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I've driven the Dragon many times when it was one of the boundaries of my ranger district, but sadly always by pickup truck. Thanks for the nudge to put it on my radar screen again. Art made the run a year or two ago and enjoyed the ride.

Denny

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
clayton said:
Ernie,

+1 for sure! Had snow on my commute home today. I am ready to plan a long spring ride.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
+1 on Hwy 12 in Idaho!

TOD is great to ride if you were the only one out there, otherwise the risk of being hit by a truck (as almost in your case) or by an out-of-control biker is pretty good :(

·
Registered
279 Posts
Taking the Dragon to the Tail of the Dragon in May this year. Haven't been there since 2003. Looking forward to it. The Dragon should be an instant celebrity.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GoldenDragon said:
Taking the Dragon to the Tail of the Dragon in May this year. Haven't been there since 2003. Looking forward to it. The Dragon should be an instant celebrity.
Where is that picture taken Randi?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ernie, That picture was taken at the rest area on I-5 just south of Wilsonville.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GoldenDragon said:
The "Dragon" on the Dragon will be a hoot! Take a lot of pictures will ya? We'll be riding in TX, LA and AL about the same time that you will be back there. We'll have to keep in touch. are you going to take in the Barber motorsports museum in Birmingham? I can't get enough of that place. I only wish I can take my bike out on the track. :D

·
Registered
474 Posts
I found the most fun on the dragon was slipping past a particular Harley and a Goldwing. I swear that the Goldwing did not even know that I was behind him. I believe he must have rented the bike. I could see him physically jump as I Zipped past him.

Too many bikes and vehicles that do not know what the pull outs were for if you ask me.

I had more fun on the back roads in Southern Missouri to be honest. Kind of depressing though when going through the nearly abandoned towns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.