BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lonk ride my back is killing me!! I don,t want a drivers back rest. Is there a back support belt out there that gives good support ? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,651 Posts
Motrin my friend, Keep a bottle in the trunk at all times
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John, The Backaline looks like it should do the trick i'm ordering one today. Have you used one yourself?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
I've used a bunch of different "back braces," both for construction and yard work, and for riding. The Back Align is better than most for riding, but not as good as most for working because it does not flex as much when you have to bend over. There are posts on the Web about clinical trials for these kind of elastic supports - generally they are not very effective. However, you will find people who swear by one type or another, one brand or another. YMMV. Do you know what the cause of the back soreness is? Previous injury that flares up? Muscle stiffness from sitting too long in one position? You may find that isolating the primary cause will lead to ideas about how to compensate.
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill;
My sore back comes from sitting for long periods of time. I find myself slumping forward after awhile.You know BAD POSTURE! it's a hard habit to break.Was hopeing a support of some kind would help :confused:
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,175 Posts
katnapinn said:
Bill;
My sore back comes from sitting for long periods of time. I find myself slumping forward after awhile.You know BAD POSTURE! it's a hard habit to break.Was hoping a support of some kind would help :confused:
Steve, I am not sure why you want to rule out a backrest. I know it is not the most attractive device, but when I rode my bike from PA back to CA I was very happy to have one already installed. They are easy to adjust, move out of the way for the passenger to get on/off the bike, and do not require a permanent modification to install.:thumb:
Just my $.02;)
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 reason for not having a back rest first and most imporantly I'm built close to the ground (AKA short) 5'8" I have a hard time getting on the bike anyway and it looks like the backrest would make it harder. 2nd not foundone that i like the looks of! :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I do not use the belt for the LT it's too smooth. I do have a backrest that fills the need nicely. Just rode from Fairfax Virginia to Erie Pa for a fishing trip and back. 12 hours with no problems. The belt worked(s) great when I am riding the dirt bikes. More of a kidney (beer belly) support that anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
We have just finished being a vendor at the BMW MOA rally in Vermont ( more on that in another thread), We carry Back-A-Lines and we sold many this past weekend. I can't tell you how many people came back to our booth and told us how great they worked for them. I've been using one for 2 1/2 years and I can tell you first hand that they work great for me. Used it this past weekend while loading and unloading the trailer and standing for 9 hours at a time in our booth.............you won't be disappointed with one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
back a line

nplenzick said:
We have just finished being a vendor at the BMW MOA rally in Vermont ( more on that in another thread), We carry Back-A-Lines and we sold many this past weekend. I can't tell you how many people came back to our booth and told us how great they worked for them. I've been using one for 2 1/2 years and I can tell you first hand that they work great for me. Used it this past weekend while loading and unloading the trailer and standing for 9 hours at a time in our booth.............you won't be disappointed with one!
please send me some more info on this product....
[email protected] thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Back-A-Line

I used a Back-A-Line until I bought a Backup back rest. Now it is gathering dust in the garage. If you want the Back - A - Line send me your address. Only requirement is if you don't like it or can't use it, please find someone on the list who wants it and send it to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Roadkingedout said:
please send me some more info on this product....
[email protected] thanks
You can find all the info you would like at www.backaline.com . It's a nobel gesture of the above poster to give you his, however I do not recomend Back-A-Lines be shared with other people. After the first four hours or so when worn tightly ( as recomended in the instructions) the foam pad forms to "your" back. Once formed it will not reshape to anothers.
If your in the area of the Mid Ohio race track this weekend stop by and try one on, I 'll be a vendor there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
katnapinn said:
2 reason for not having a back rest first and most imporantly I'm built close to the ground (AKA short) 5'8" I have a hard time getting on the bike anyway and it looks like the backrest would make it harder. 2nd not foundone that i like the looks of! :crazy:

I too am short and had trouble with my back do to poor posture while on the LT. I tried the seat in the upper position and it helped a lot. It tilted my hips forward and made me sit more upright. To my surprise, I found that I didn't have any more problems getting my feet on the ground at stops, as the front of the seat really doesn't raise up that much. If you ride solo, try your feet on the rear pegs from time to time, sportbike style, you don't see those guys slouching.

Give it a try.

BTW ... I did get a seat made for me and now there's no more problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
hoodoodrum said:
NECK FATIQUE??? Wearing my full face for hours hurts the back of my neck. What to do?
Is your windshield in the lowest position? When I have mine up, even just a bit, I get wind pressure on the back of my helmet and then I have to push back against it with the neck muscles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Cheap solutions

katnapinn said:
After a lonk ride my back is killing me!! I don,t want a drivers back rest. Is there a back support belt out there that gives good support ? :confused:
Maybe it's just me, but here are my 0.2 cents: I too had back pain, and pain in the neck; bought a beadrider and a throttle rocker ($35 and $4.50 respectively). The beadrider made my butt comfortable, and pain in the back was gone; the throttle rocker eased tension in my right hand and with this pain in the neck was gone (i know we all have a cruise control...).
I've just returned from a coast-to-coast trip and had no problems/pain at all (well, almost). That was a 17-day 7570 milke trip (awesome, by the way)
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,175 Posts
hoodoodrum said:
NECK FATIQUE??? Wearing my full face for hours hurts the back of my neck. What to do?
I am not sure which shield you have on your bike... My CeeBailey #2 -2 took the pain out of the neck so I can do that!:yeah: ;)
I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam and keep the shield all the way down.:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,634 Posts
katnapinn said:
After a lonk ride my back is killing me!! I don,t want a drivers back rest. Is there a back support belt out there that gives good support ? :confused:
There are several leather shops that make belts for hardtail riders, how stiff do you want it is the question.
Lutz's leather has made them with stainless plates between layers of leather. (Great on the Panhead little much for the LT).
Rock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
AHHHH HAAAAA!!!!! That's it..... It's the backdraft from behind the windshield (in the cockpit) pushing on the helmet from the rear of the bike. O.K. now if you ride with the shield down, can one hear the sound system? I wonder if there is a small "bungie" that could be attached to pull back on the helmet so you can ride with the windshield up?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top