BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sweet ride, though it needs a front that's making it handle funny at low speeds. It was 38 degrees and wet in some of the farm areas I had to cross, didn't feel a thing between that huge shield and my BMW Rallye 2 jacket. I don't imagine there's any temperature I can't ride in with this thing, short of snow and slush.

First thing I noticed that I need to mod immediately...that eye-piercing cruise control light. WTF were they thinking?

Number two will be tunes and three will be communications.

Woohoo!

The kid was excited to ride home with me despite the weather.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I like that color. Mine's silver. Or as I call it, the middle of the road color. Not as pretty as some, but prettier than several others. JM2CW

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really wanted the champagne, but that just didn't work out. Color played a pretty small factor when all of the preferred colors were either beat up or $1k more.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
As some have said, "Welcome to the Zoo."

It should be easy to drop the intensity of the CC light. A while back I noticed that my gear indicator light was out and I could only replace it, at the time, with a brighter bulb. In that case, I liked raising it a little. It also made the clock a little easier to read.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Enjoy, welcome to the "hood"!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point, the clock/gear light is quite dim. I'm really shocked at how bright the cruise light is, particularly when you're on a dark back road. I see multiple glaring copies of it between the screen on the bike and on the helmet.

I've promised the wife to avoid buying moto crap until we recover from stretching the budget on this one, so for now I'll be concentrated on zero-cost or $1 upgrades like this.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
calvarez said:
Good point, the clock/gear light is quite dim. I'm really shocked at how bright the cruise light is, particularly when you're on a dark back road. I see multiple glaring copies of it between the screen on the bike and on the helmet.

I've promised the wife to avoid buying moto crap until we recover from stretching the budget on this one, so for now I'll be concentrated on zero-cost or $1 upgrades like this.
An easy "Ghetto Mod" is to place a small piece of black tape over the light. it will cut down on the brightness but you will still see the "Glow" from around the tape. This will work till you can fix it right.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that was my first thought, but I haven't read the service manual to see if bulb replacement is a ten minute job or one of those four-beer, three hundred curse word jobs. The level of annoyance with doing it right will guide me.

Of course, since I can never resist taking apart a perfectly functional <insert product here> I'm sure I'll be driven to start tinkering straight away.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nice Bike I wish I had one.....oh Wait i do :rotf:

Welcome and congrats.....Ton of Information here to learn.....

·
Registered
656 Posts
Now you've gone and done it you'll never get that grin off your face.

Grats

·
Registered
117 Posts
"Now you've gone and done it you'll never get that grin off your face."

People will always be wondering what you are thinking. :rotf:

·
Registered
150 Posts
You won't be sorry, that is for sure. Despite all the talk about being a beast it is an awesome motorcycle. The open road will be calling your name :wave I got mine in April and have already put 10K miles on her. My wife has ridden more with me since I got the LT than on all the other bikes I have owned in the last 35 years put together, and that is saying a lot.
Hope to see you on the road sometime. Come on down to the Georgia Mountain Rally in Hiawassee, GA, the first week-end in May. www.bmwmoga.info
Look for me at the Rally Store. My wife and I will fix you up with a T-shirt.
Ride Safely,
Steve

·
Registered
237 Posts
Enjoy your beamer in the same way like many of us do :) :) :)

Always have some easy going and safe Miles on your beauty!!! :bmw: :bmw: :bmw:

best regards from the "Winter Wonderland" in Northern Bavaria (20 in. of snow already) :wave

·
Registered
131 Posts
I put a piece of white electrical shrink wrap in front of the CC light and that took it down to a good level. After I got the bike back together I realized that I forgot to do the same over the High beam light. Oh well, next time.

John

·
Registered
313 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. If you like yours half as much as I do mine you'll never quit smiling. 93,000 miles on mine now and other than a clogged cannister while on the way to Death Valley, I've not had any issues.

As for the CC light, the best work around I've seen is to place a small square piece of window tinting over the light. It still shines through but much dimmer. The shading comes in several different intensities so you can pick what you need. Chances are that a window tinting shop will give you a small square to cover the light for nothing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Frankly, I found the CC light annoying at first but now I don't even notice it. Congrats on your new LT, I have a feeling you are going to really enjoy it!!
:wave

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Carlos Carlos, Carlos! You apparently don't realize that the bright bulbs in the indicator lights are necessary components of the K1200LT 'Heads Up Display' feature! It's a feature man! :cool:

Seriously, I don't even notice the annoying glare er.... HUD feature anymore.

You got yourself a very nice bike that will take you anywhere you want to go in un-paralleled comfort. If only it had air conditioning it would be PERFECT!!!

Have a great time on your new ride and be safe! Welcome to the forum.

One last thought. You will need to get yourself a nice lift to make maintenance a lot easier to do. Easy to convince your wife on this one. Just get a written quote on an engine, gear box, final drive oil change with a good brake bleeding thrown in just to pad the bill a bit. Then get the quote for the air and fuel filter change and you can save enough $ to buy a 1250 # Harbor Freight pneumatic lift twice over! I love mine!

Loren

1 - 20 of 30 Posts