BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
75 Posts
I also like the digital speedometer, but I generally select it on the display as opposed to having it on the phone. (However, I do like that app you are using and will check it out.)

Are you concerned about the vibration effects on that ram mount with the vibration effects on the phone out there on the arm? I have my phone mounted to the handlebar (Ilium barbacks) to provide a solid support and would be inspecting that mounting plate often to watch for any cracking.

Nice video and two good looking bikes in your garage!

Ride safe -

Larry

IMG_2842.jpeg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also like the digital speedometer, but I generally select it on the display as opposed to having it on the phone. (However, I do like that app you are using and will check it out.)

Are you concerned about the vibration effects on that ram mount with the vibration effects on the phone out there on the arm? I have my phone mounted to the handlebar (Ilium barbacks) to provide a solid support and would be inspecting that mounting plate often to watch for any cracking.

Nice video and two good looking bikes in your garage!

Ride safe -

Larry

View attachment 172107

For the vibrations, I plan to add a tether of some sort, just in case it comes flying off. Having the digital speedometer up high and in your line of sight is nice. I like the factory digital speedometer but having to turn off the radio to see it makes no sense at all, I can't believe BMW thought that was a good idea.

Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I used for the mount. You will also need a longer stainless steel screw M5 - 0.8 x 30mm, a stainless washer and lock washer, and a drop of Lock-tight. I also put some double-sided tape on it to keep it in place. Along with the Ram Mount items. Cost was around $60.00.

Steve

RAM 9mm Angled Bolt Head Adapter Ball Base

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

618NSCgmhiL.AC_SL1000.jpghttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055PH0XA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51kIL285pGL.AC_SL1000.jpghttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KWPJ04/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
75 Posts
This is what I used for the mount.
My concern would be for the mounting used to the top of the dash as I think that is where the vibrations from the weight of the phone/mount will be most severe in strength.

However, I have never disassembled that area on my bike so it might be a very strong assembly up there well suited for that loading. Just don’t know myself and seeing any amount of weight cantilevered on an arm always makes me think about the stress at the mounting point.

Larry

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Hey Guys,

I installed my Ram Mount next to the Nav V and the speedometer app I like. Let me know what you think?

Steve

This is what I used for the mount. You will also need a longer stainless steel screw M5 - 0.8 x 30mm, a stainless washer and lock washer, and a drop of Lock-tight. I also put some double-sided tape on it to keep it in place. Along with the Ram Mount items. Cost was around $60.00.

Steve

RAM 9mm Angled Bolt Head Adapter Ball Base

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

618NSCgmhiL.AC_SL1000.jpghttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055PH0XA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51kIL285pGL.AC_SL1000.jpghttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KWPJ04/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Motor32,
Thanks for your vid & links to sourcing the Ram mount parts. I've placed on order.
I intend using the Ram mount on the RHS of the instrument panel, close to the phone compartment (cubby hole), which is barely big enough to take my phone let alone the cabling to charge and play music from the phone and stream from Spotify. But with the Ram mount all that is possible, though I guess I'll have to leave the lid/door of that compartment open/ajar.

Having ordered the parts it's probably too late to ask this BUT .....
I have my iPhone 8 paired to the GPS so I can make/receive phone calls through the Communicator system in my helmet. In this bluetooth paired mode the phone can be in my pocket/tankbag/tailbag or wherever. But this bluetooth paired mode doesn't allow me to play music or stream Spotify from my phone. The only way I can play music or stream from my phone is to have it in the cubby hole and connected with chunky cables. The cabled up phone won't fit in the cubby hole and allow me to close the lid.
tempImageUJrze7.png
I don't pretend to be on the cutting edge of technology (What was wrong with the stone age anyway!)
Could I have played music/streamed from my phone without having to go with the cubby hole, cabling & Ram mount?

Ian

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motor32,
Thanks for your vid & links to sourcing the Ram mount parts. I've placed on order.
I intend using the Ram mount on the RHS of the instrument panel, close to the phone compartment (cubby hole), which is barely big enough to take my phone let alone the cabling to charge and play music from the phone and stream from Spotify. But with the Ram mount all that is possible, though I guess I'll have to leave the lid/door of that compartment open/ajar.

Having ordered the parts it's probably too late to ask this BUT .....
I have my iPhone 8 paired to the GPS so I can make/receive phone calls through the Communicator system in my helmet. In this bluetooth paired mode the phone can be in my pocket/tankbag/tailbag or wherever. But this bluetooth paired mode doesn't allow me to play music or stream Spotify from my phone. The only way I can play music or stream from my phone is to have it in the cubby hole and connected with chunky cables. The cabled up phone won't fit in the cubby hole and allow me to close the lid.
View attachment 172148
I don't pretend to be on the cutting edge of technology (What was wrong with the stone age anyway!)
Could I have played music/streamed from my phone without having to go with the cubby hole, cabling & Ram mount?

Ian
I have two other posts showing a Bluetooth receiver that can go inside the RHS glove-box closed and then you could listen to Spotify or anything streamed from your phone. The other post I show a USB cable I attached from the battery and have it mounted on that same RHS with Velcro or in my tank bag. Both work great. Links below.

Steve

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
OK, its taken a while (What was wrong with the stone age anyway!) but I can finally set off on a trip and be able to switch between music streamed through my phone (eg Spotify) and music on a thumb drive. I still have the problem that the phone and the cabling won't fit in the cubby hole and at the same time allow me to close the lid. I understand the cubby hole on the 2021 model is larger and may accommodate a phone & cables with the lid closed. Anyone know for sure? The Ram mount set up the OP showed will sort the problem until I update to the new model. Surely that's a good enough reason to update!

Ian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts