BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a 2000 model K1200LT that's in really good condition. After 4 days I am really happy with it. Big difference than my Honda VTX 1800R.
Seems like a real highway plus twistie bike.

My bike came with an Autocom installed - there are cables for both driver and passenger - but the folks I bought it from didn't have any info on model etc. And the previous owner didn't leave the helmet headsets (not that I would have placed a huge value on used headsets anyway ....)

Can someone help me get started? I need to know what I have, how to use it, and what to buy to make it work for me & the missus.

Bruce

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was able to get the microphone/headset combos for helmets from the dealer (Big Sky in Missoula,MT). I assume you have the extension cables with the unit. I also changed the speakers out for a much improved Radio Shack product. Check some of the archives here for that swap.

Good luck

·
Registered
596 Posts
Possession or possessed

Am picking up bike today ,2000,
it is -3 degrees this morning, should warm up to 9 degrees C
Have 2 1/2 hour ride on Honda shadow and 2 1/2 return trip on the mothership

Eric

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott,

How did you figure out which model you have and how it is connected? All I know is there are two cables sticking out of the front and rear seats that have round multipin connectors, and the dealer told me they went to an Autocom unit.

Bruce

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've had an autocom unit (I think its an Easy Plus) which I've transferred from bike to bike for about 12 years now. It's excellent and I would say that the mike and speakers are perfectly good . Positioning is important to get the best sound. One neat thing is that the unit stays off until you plug in the driver's lead, so no running down your battery.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
bdad57 said:
How did you figure out which model you have and how it is connected? All I know is there are two cables sticking out of the front and rear seats that have round multipin connectors, and the dealer told me they went to an Autocom unit.
Does your leads have 5-pin or 7-pin connectors? If it has 5-pins, you most likely have the pro 3000, if it has 7 pins, it might be the pro 1 (?) system.

·
Registered
694 Posts
After I got home from the dealer, I was a bit skeptic, thinking that salesman may have confused my bike with another concerning the Autocom. I searched high and low, using an LED flash light, located the unit under the passenger seat. I took the seat off and the labels clearly identify it as being Autocom Pro 7 Sport. There are three cables coming out of the unit.....two with 7-pin connector and one with 5-pin connector.
There is also a shunt looking device in one of the ports on the unit.

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Munmi said:
After I got home from the dealer, I was a bit skeptic, thinking that salesman may have confused my bike with another concerning the Autocom. I searched high and low, using an LED flash light, located the unit under the passenger seat. I took the seat off and the labels clearly identify it as being Autocom Pro 7 Sport. There are three cables coming out of the unit.....two with 7-pin connector and one with 5-pin connector.
There is also a shunt looking device in one of the ports on the unit.

Scott
Scott,
This is the Manual for that model. If I recall the "shunt" increases the volume by 9db (300%), a significant amount!

From the Manual: Speech level high/low socket (side-tone adjustment)
Adjusts speech only - all other inputs are adjustable at source. Plug 3.5mm jack plug (supplied) into socket to boost rider and passenger speech volumes by approx 9dB (300%) when using earplugs. An optional handlebar remote high/low speech switch is available from your dealer. The high volume setting should only be used when using earplugs - do not use it to compensate for incorrectly positioned speakers.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts