BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Continental TKC 80 tires mounted & installed 92 carbide ice studs yesterday. The front tire is weight rated for the LT but the rear is not. I used a 150 wide rear tire for a little extra swingarm clearance. The speed rating is Q & because I will not be riding over 70mph I will be well within the speed rating.

I'm not concerned with the rear tire weight rating because I will not be riding hard in the corners & I'll keep the LT as light as possible.

I put about 200 miles on the tires today. While riding home from our club breakfast I did about 30 minutes of off road riding in the mud & what a blast that was. The bike handled good up to about 65 mph on the paved roads. I'll be adding another 100 studs soon.

So kiss my ass black ice & snow. I have had enough of both this year in the early morning hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
far braver than me but you have many many more miles on the lt than me

i would never even try it(lol) enjoy ride safe :D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Dave you missed it.
Had this post been a few days earlier I would have sponsored an all expense trip for you and the LT to wallow around in some real snow 5". Plus the added benefit of not suffering through a winter hose down but only needed a warm garage and its back to new/clean. You got BRASS . . . :histerica
ride safe :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,818 Posts
RonKMiller said:
:eek:

:D

:yeah:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

:wave
Yeh, that pretty much sums up my feelings, too.

Very impressive, Dave. You are the first person I've heard of to put either - let alone BOTH - knobbies and studs on an LT.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The down side to this is that after two hours of cleaning the bike it is still dropping mud on the floor. :D With my new job I get a week off at Thanksgiving & another week off at Christmas. I hope next year to ride to the west coast & back in the winter towing my trailer with these tires in the trailer. Short of a blizzard weather should not be a problem. :yeah:

The studs are self tapping welded carbide made in Switzerland. Lee Wilson helped me install them last night. I had to grind 1.5 mm off the self tapping threads to make sure I didn't install them past the safety margin. Lee also made sure that they were installed 3 mm or less above the rubber. 3 mm is the max you want when riding on paved roads.

With Lee's help it went fairly quick. He shined the light & measured while I installed the studs. I have two LT's so my other bike is ready to ride all winter long with LT rated tires. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
saddleman said:
The down side to this is that after two hours of cleaning the bike it is still dropping mud on the floor. :D With my new job I get a week off at Thanksgiving & another week off at Christmas. I hope next year to ride to the west coast & back in the winter towing my trailer with these tires in the trailer. Short of a blizzard weather should not be a problem. :yeah:

The studs are self tapping welded carbide made in Switzerland. Lee Wilson helped me install them last night. I had to grind 1.5 mm off the self tapping threads to make sure I didn't install them past the safety margin. Lee also made sure that they were installed 3 mm or less above the rubber. 3 mm is the max you want when riding on paved roads.

With Lee's help it went fairly quick. He shined the light & measured while I installed the studs. I have two LT's so my other bike is ready to ride all winter long with LT rated tires. :bmw:

Dave, you are the man! Somewhat insane, but my kind of crazy.You got the huevos! I love it. K1200LTGS!

Robert

·
Registered
593 Posts
I love it! Any video? :D

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
amindtat said:
I like the look of the rear drive stay arm. What's the source for that?
The FD reaction link came with the bike & I don't know who makes it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
saddleman said:
The FD reaction link came with the bike & I don't know who makes it.
Another day for tire test. :rotf:
I am having the perfect day if you want to push the envelope with those tires. We have rain sleet and snow. Again no need to mess up the carpet after the ride just drip dry. My knowledge of the earlier models is limited so I thought that was normal. The holes are filled in on mine.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
billsmith said:
Another day for tire test. :rotf:
I am having the perfect day if you want to push the envelope with those tires. We have rain sleet and snow. Again no need to mess up the carpet after the ride just drip dry. My knowledge of the earlier models is limited so I thought that was normal. The holes are filled in on mine.
It was 31 degrees this morning with rain riding to work. Tomorrow morning the roads will have some ice left over from the all day long rain. At least now I don't have to borrow my wife's car anymore. Without these tires she would have been home two days in a row with no vehicle. :yeah:

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the tire temps. after my 16 mile ride home yesterday. The air temp was 42 degrees. The center of the front tire was 74 degrees & the sidewall was 55 degrees. The rear tire in the center was 80 degrees & the sidewall was 74 degrees.

Some of the pic's I've seen of GS bikes loaded for Alaska with spare tires, fuel, tool kits & luggage makes me think that I can't be too far off weight wise on my LT with empty side cases & the top case removed.

It definitely is less stable riding with these tires but the GS riders I talked to told me there bikes felt the same way with the TKC 80's.

Overall so far I'm happy with the tire & stud combo. The ride to work this morning on wet roads below freezing was a lot less intense. Right now I'm leaving for work at 4:45 am & the traffic is low. In freezing conditions I try to judge the roads for icing by looking at the spray coming off other vehicle's tires in front of me. Today only one car passed me on the way to work just before I got off the interstate. Until then all I saw was a shinny road at 65 mph.

The next test is to start creeping up on the stud count for each tire. I need to find out what I'm comfortable with on dry pavement. I should be good & ready for next winter. :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Dave, I take it you had to leave the front fender off for the tire to fit?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bikerj said:
Dave, I take it you had to leave the front fender off for the tire to fit?
The fender was out getting painted. I put it on last night.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow. I have ridden every day this year so far, except one. We had 4 inches of snow and some ice the following morning. On the way to work, I hit a spot of ice that was 15 feet or so wide. My Lt pitched me off the seat and alllllmost over the bars. (40 weight oil in damper saved me). I needed a change of clean clothes after that.
You are the MAN ! :yeah: Interesting to say the least. I would NEVER have thought anyone would try studs on an LT.
Side note: my BT 020 'Stones look cupped enough to pass for knobbies......... :histerica

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
saddleman said:
It was 31 degrees this morning with rain riding to work. Tomorrow morning the roads will have some ice left over from the all day long rain. At least now I don't have to borrow my wife's car anymore. Without these tires she would have been home two days in a row with no vehicle. :yeah:
Saddleman is your thermometer universal
I visit family in the Charlotte area and this past Christmas I was noticing that your 50's feel like 60's. So I wonder if your instrument is calibrated against the national thermometer. My trip to the BRP to see the fall colors left Chicago with a snow flake on the dash and it stayed there almost to Indianapolis road was clear and dry but fingertips were still crying out for double/double warmth. I admire your drive . . . ride.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would love to see the looks on peoples faces if you entered an Enduro and pulled up to the start with the LTGS. When I use to ride Enduros thirty years ago Sandy Lane Enduro in NJ several times was so easy that a couple guys road their street bikes in it. Of course they got the inside tip that the run would be a cake walk.
I got to take my hat off to you and say U Da Man!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts