BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...not the club of riders doing the iron butt thing, I've done that several times. It helped me join the club of people that have layed their LT down for a little nap.
I had just installed my Russell seat and went to pick up a girlfriend for a little Sunday lunch. I had noticed on the way to get her that I was sitting a little higher in the saddle (at 235# I got the fatboy springs/wings installed). I've put over 10K miles on my LT and have been riding my whole life, so I didn't think a new seat would make such a big difference.
We pulled into a Mac's Speedshop, a new barbeque place in downtown Greenville, SC, and I noticed the parking lot was fairly narrow so I went to execute a 180 degree turn with shriner like precision. I went to put a foot down and it didn't reach... the new seat forced my leg out at an angle that I wasn't used to. By the time my foot touched the ground the bike was at an lean that was beyond saving. I calmly told my passenger that since the bike was now laying on it's side it was safe to get off! The only part of the bike that touched the blacktop was the floorboards that I put on the bike.
Needless to say nothing was hurt but my pride.... I haven't made any long trips yet to praise this new Russell seat but I can attest to a hazard that I never saw coming!!!
Maybe it wasn't the Russell... but I gotta blame laying her down on something... there's no way it could have been my fault !!!!

:bmw:
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,257 Posts
Yup. I get a cramp in my leg if I don't remember to "slide forward" in the seat as I come to a stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
I have to do the same thing as John has to ;slide forward on the seat on stops; because of my short legs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Welcome to the Club Randy my 09 OEM seat was causing such hip pain and discomfort I came close to selling the bike because of it. Enjoy the ride!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
I've got a Corbin. It doesn't matter if I slide forward, I'm still on my tip toes. I've had several close calls on slippery sand, gravel, leaves pavement.

I did lay her down in a gravel parking lot when my left foot slipped out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
dthogey said:
I've got a Corbin. It doesn't matter if I slide forward, I'm still on my tip toes. I've had several close calls on slippery sand, gravel, leaves pavement.

I did lay her down in a gravel parking lot when my left foot slipped out.
I too am slightly vertically impaired. Actually, not me, my legs, lol.
So today as I came to a stop at a traffic light I stopped in the space where the wheels of heavy vehicles have made a slight dip in the blacktop. I think it was a good three inches deep. What a difference! My feet were flat on the road! It felt so comfortable and safe, as safe as sitting on my VStar with that 28 inch height seat.
Oh, if only my legs would stretch three inches. Or even one. But alas, that won't happen, so I guess I'll have to tippy toe forever. Or change the Corbin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
EddieLo said:
I too am slightly vertically impaired. Actually, not me, my legs, lol.
So today as I came to a stop at a traffic light I stopped in the space where the wheels of heavy vehicles have made a slight dip in the blacktop. I think it was a good three inches deep. What a difference! My feet were flat on the road! It felt so comfortable and safe, as safe as sitting on my VStar with that 28 inch height seat.
Oh, if only my legs would stretch three inches. Or even one. But alas, that won't happen, so I guess I'll have to tippy toe forever. Or change the Corbin.
Easy - just get a pair of these :D

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Woolly said:
Easy - just get a pair of these :D

How would you shift?
Actually I went to a cobbler and showed him a pair of new boots and asked how much to add an inch to the sole. He said $120. The boots brand-new were $69. Ridiculous to pay for a small piece of leather that's almost as much as the boots cost. I passed.
I think I need to change the seat.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,569 Posts
The LT seat can be set to Low at 30.3" (770mm) or High at 31.5" (800mm) by flipping the metal bar under the back of the rider's seat. Some riders have removed that bar altogether to gain (lose?) another 1/2" or so.

Or you could go with the GTL, which offers the Low 29.53" (750mm) seat as Standard, or the High 30.71" (780mm) seat as an Option. I know 3/4" (20mm) doesn't sound like much, but combined with the lower weight and much lower CoG, the GTL is much easier to handle at parking lot speeds than the LT, especially for those short of inseam.

Might be worth a test ride . . .

And yes, several riders have had good luck getting a local cobbler to ad 1/2" or 3/4" to the bottom of their boots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
meese said:
The LT seat can be set to Low at 30.3" (770mm) or High at 31.5" (800mm) by flipping the metal bar under the back of the rider's seat. Some riders have removed that bar altogether to gain (lose?) another 1/2" or so.

Or you could go with the GTL, which offers the Low 29.53" (750mm) seat as Standard, or the High 30.71" (780mm) seat as an Option. I know 3/4" (20mm) doesn't sound like much, but combined with the lower weight and much lower CoG, the GTL is much easier to handle at parking lot speeds than the LT, especially for those short of inseam.

Might be worth a test ride . . .

And yes, several riders have had good luck getting a local cobbler to ad 1/2" or 3/4" to the bottom of their boots.
My LT has a Corbin seat that with the passenger seat and arm rests cost almost $2K. I understand the Corbin adds height and cannot be adjusted. See my post where a cobbler wants to charge $120 to add to the sole. Too much for me for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
EddieLo said:
My LT has a Corbin seat that with the passenger seat and arm rests cost almost $2K. I understand the Corbin adds height and cannot be adjusted. See my post where a cobbler wants to charge $120 to add to the sole. Too much for me for now.

Yikes......

Reckon if we all stop paying this kind of money for stuff..the prices would come down. Might not help the tip toeing issues but still.....2Grand?? Not gonna happen in this house!!

Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
PATTERSON said:
Yikes......

Reckon if we all stop paying this kind of money for stuff..the prices would come down. Might not help the tip toeing issues but still.....2Grand?? Not gonna happen in this house!!

Pat
But - they are both heated.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top