BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd introduce you all to my little riding buddy. He's 3, almost 4, and loves motorcycles. He usually gets to ride on either my, or his dad's Harley, in front of us, but only on the "little" roads. Got him a DOT helmet, gloves and a suit, put him on back and strapped him in. We did about 20 miles of back roads, and he was pissed when we got home, wanted to go a 'really long ways'. Note the "Ghostrider" helmet he picked out. Yep, he's my grandson. You may have guessed that I like him a little bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good deal. Have fun ,ride safe ,and "will" him the Beemer. :bike:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
fpmlt said:
Thought I'd introduce you all to my little riding buddy. He's 3, almost 4, and loves motorcycles. He usually gets to ride on either my, or his dad's Harley, in front of us, but only on the "little" roads. Got him a DOT helmet, gloves and a suit, put him on back and strapped him in. We did about 20 miles of back roads, and he was pissed when we got home, wanted to go a 'really long ways'. Note the "Ghostrider" helmet he picked out. Yep, he's my grandson. You may have guessed that I like him a little bit.

I don't know about Oregon, but in Maine, the passenger MUST have full foot contact with the rear foot pegs. that would be a really spendy ticket where I live...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Good for you...them little ones sure wrap us around the fingers dont they?;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
My "Little Buddy" is 7 now! Grandpa, you are creating memories and mentoring our future America.

God Bless!

·
Registered
607 Posts
How young is too young?

I would love to take my grandson (he's 4) out on the bike, but I wonder: how young is too young for riding on a bike?
I think if he's old enough to reach the rear pegs, and hold on by himself, it may be okay. But, strapping him to the bike? Makes me shudder.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Believe me, I agonized over that too. I'm building him rear pegs, but with regard to strapping him in, I reasoned that he was best protected by preventing him from sliding off with the seat belt that I controlled, and not foot pegs that he would have been required to control. Nice part, though, is that I can see him in my mirrors at all times.
And I thought long and hard about the consequences of dropping the bike and/or him. I also left the decision to his parents.
If you look in the background of that photo, you'll see a paint horse. That's his too. And he rides in his own little saddle. That too scares me, as I've probably less control over that horse than my bike. But in the end, the memories and pure joy of the time spent together like this seem to have paid off.
Again, I really do understand anyone's opinion that it might not be the smartest thing to do, but it's been awesome so far. I would never cause him undo risk.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Most of us know you thought it out and kudos to you....I'm still working on the details for my grandson cus he always wants to sit on "papa's bike"
play around and, of course, I let him kill my battery repeatedly......in my presence :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great Picture, my grandson is only one but I'm sure he will be asking for rides. If you don't mind my asking, The passenger arm rests on your bike, are they a BMW option or aftermarket. And approximate $$$?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Re: How young is too young?

Tat_n_Telle said:
But, strapping him to the bike? Makes me shudder.
Yea - me too. What does a skydiving instructor use with newb's? I've thought that I would rather have a kid securely attached to me rather than the bike, as if I'd have more control over the situation...

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 2 kids were only a year old each when we started putting them on our 2 bikes (wife's and mine). We used a very long belt and a harness until they were old enough to sit in back. Even then you got to watch out for them dozing off and possibly falling off. They got a lot of fingers in the sides waking them up! But nothing stopped us. Couldn't have more than 2 kids because that's all we could carry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts