BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new Droid Turbo 2 a few weeks ago & now have a mount for it. I have 2 LT's one for in town & the other for trips. My trip LT is a 2000 & it has 3 Garmin GPS's, a Satellite tracker & a donut shop locator.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got a new Droid Turbo 2 a few weeks ago & now have a mount for it. I have 2 LT's one for in town & the other for trips. My trip LT is a 2000 & it has 3 Garmin GPS's, a Satellite tracker & a donut shop locator.

My humble opinion. Toooooooo much load man. It looks like a fighter plane. Can you really see the road ahead of you? One GPS and one DVR camera recording everything happening in front of me are enough I believe.
Anyway, it's your choice.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Wow... first glass-cockpit LT I've ever seen :surprise:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I saw your mount on the FB group, I like to repurpose existing items myself and the layout is nice. I am curious about what is the need for three GPS units? I'm not criticizing, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning. I believe you're using the 4" as a speedometer but doesn't the 5 or 7" do that as well? I don't use one on the bike and may be missing something.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
If you get lost with that setup, it will be a result of what is in the cup holder rendering you incapable of interpreting the data from all your instruments.

That is my favorite though. >:)

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
215 Posts
one phone, waze and pandora, is all I need

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Umm ... Why?
:smile:

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Where is the paper map in the pouch on the tank bag? :histerica

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the 5 & 7 inch GPS I set them up differently & can change one or both while riding if I'm looking for a different route. I bought the 7 inch GPS for riding in Nicaragua on a rental dirt bike & when I got back home I mounted it on this bike.

I've had 2 GPS units on my bikes for years now & 1 more doesn't seem to busy for me. The 7 inch is not waterproof & I can put it away while riding. I can also switch it to my other LT in a few seconds.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where is the paper map in the pouch on the tank bag? :histerica
I study paper maps for weeks before a trip & have them with me when I travel. Very rarely do I put a trip in a GPS. I zoom one in & the other out & use them for a map.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I study paper maps for weeks before a trip & have them with me when I travel. Very rarely do I put a trip in a GPS. I zoom one in & the other out & use them for a map.
I much prefer paper maps for trip planning. Much easier to get the big picture. However, I do like using the route feature of the GPS. I generally plan the routes in Basecamp and then load to GPS. Although, I have found that Basecamp and my new Nav V don't always play well together, at least with the Europe map.

I had planned out my full UK trip, but when I got to Scotland I found that the GPS had only coarse route points in it and had to recalculate each route each day. And it often chose a different route than I had created in Basecamp. To sure why it did this.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I use a route I made in basecamp the GPS looses a lot of detail on the map. With a second GPS I still have all of the details.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
When I use a route I made in basecamp the GPS looses a lot of detail on the map. With a second GPS I still have all of the details.
I was surprised at how poorly Basecamp interoperates with my Nav V. It seemed much better with the Nav III.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For the 5 & 7 inch GPS I set them up differently & can change one or both while riding if I'm looking for a different route. I bought the 7 inch GPS for riding in Nicaragua on a rental dirt bike & when I got back home I mounted it on this bike.

I've had 2 GPS units on my bikes for years now & 1 more doesn't seem to busy for me. The 7 inch is not waterproof & I can put it away while riding. I can also switch it to my other LT in a few seconds.
That makes sense. I can see where it would be easy to see the close up of the route as well as the larger overview of the route on two different units. I've been thinking about adding one of my older Garmins to the bike for speedometer and general location use. I tend to use my phone and the map for directions and have it play through the stereo. So far it works pretty well but it's difficult to review my location while moving.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts