BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,
Well sooner or later it was bound to happen. My faithful DVD player decided one day to just up and die on me for no apparent reason other then that fact it was probably the first dvd player to be ever built (well i dunno if it was or not, but it must have been close to it) and i took it to the locar dvd fixxer-upper-person and they said its not woth fixing, buy a new one.
So i went hunting. I was going to get just a plain jane unit untill i discovered a NEC HD160 unit. I thought it was brilliant. Its got a 160 gig hdd, divx playback, multiregion and memory card slots.It was about $900 bucks. The price i thought was a bit expensive, but when i looked at the features i thought ....mmmmmmm... yeah, but a bit expensive.
So i went hunting and wound up a Harvey Norman and told them what i had seen at another shop. They told me the NEC was a rebadged LG. they showed me a LG model RH7823W. It is *IDENTICAL* to what i saw from NEC, except it has Surround Sound output, only $600, and a 4 year warranty instead of the 1 year warranty the NEC did.
Would you like to guess what i bought??

So, the LG is now in my lounge room and i have connected up my sony handycam to it via the DV plug and im in the process of transferring a ton of video tapes at the highest quality to the HDD on the DVD recorder. I dont have a firewire card for my pc and i just love this LG unit. I went hunting on the net and found the codes to put in to it to make it multiregion and im really impressed. it can copy DVDs to the hdd and you can copy them back to a blank dvd, provided they are bnot copy protected, it has a inbuilt tv tuner so you can connect it to a tv aerial and it will automatically go hunting for tv channels and pre-program it self - this onlt takes a minute or too, it plays divx movies, it takes 8 types of memory cards (the nec took only 2) , it plays mps, windows media files, has DTS, i can controll my sony handy cam via the lg remote when the sony is plugged in via firewire cable, i can turn my tv on/off (pitty bout my stereo, it uses another remote)
i have been playing with this unit now for a few hours, awesome unit. looking forward to putting a top quality recording of our wedding/engagement to dvd. we dont have one yet, but by this time tomorrow we will.

Im no way affiliated with any companies mentioned above, just thought i would share my findings incase anyone else is looking for a top notch dvd player/recorder/tv tuner.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Dezrae said:
So, the LG is now in my lounge room and i have connected up my sony handycam to it via the DV plug and im in the process of transferring a ton of video tapes at the highest quality to the HDD on the DVD recorder. I dont have a firewire card for my pc and i just love this LG unit.
Congrats on the new toy. Just one word of advice: don't throw out or record over the original DV tapes, otherwise you'll be reducing the quality of all your memories.

Mini-DV (which I assume is the format used by your handycam) compresses video during recording to tape, but still requires 3.6MB/sec storage space (over 12GB/hour). Most home-produced DVD's will store 1 - 2 hours worth of video onto a 4.7GB disc, so (although generally touted as 'high quality) DVD storage will actually require your home vids be compressed between 3 - 6 times more than your original footage. Double-layer DVD's give twice the storage capacity, but still less than Mini-DV tape. We'll have to wait for the new (competing) HD formats to be released before DVD storage capacity exceeds that of tape.

The new iMac's with wide-screen monitors make pretty neat DVD players too, although a little more pricey (even in Australian Dollars) than your LG! ;) But then they do come with two FireWire 400 ports and three USB 2.0 ports, built-in double-layer SuperDrive and free (excellent) video editing/DVD-burning software, so you could load your footage, edit it and transfer back to tape or burn it to DVD. Makes for a fun hobby, but might cut into your bike-time! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts