BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished upgrading my cockpit. The first thing I did was to reinforce my BMR shelf & extensions. I moved my Garmin 2720 to the left, Installed a new Garmin 7200 in the middle, Installed a new compass on the right & mounted my new Spot Messenger on the right handlebar. What I thought would take a few hours took a day and a half. Lee Wilson stopped & helped or it would have taken longer. :thumb:

The Garmin 7200 isn't waterproof so I'll have a cover made for it. My main goal was to have a GPS unit that I can see with out my prescription glasses & that goal was definitely achieved.

I hope to have the rest of the bike back together sometime tomorrow. I can't wait to see the difference.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,883 Posts
Looks real good. Curious about the compass though! With two GPS's, why the mechanical one? Does the sun shade help much with the 2720? Mine really gets washed out in the sunshine. By the way, I was up in SC this past weekend in the cage. Nice weather until the 26th. Left this morning for Florida and it was 37' chilly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Dandiver;

the first page of the GPS instructions always mentions to actually carry a 'compass'.

Saddleman;

we are going to have to change your handle to 'Gadget Slut'..................... :histerica
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,622 Posts
saddleman said:
I hope to have the rest of the bike back together sometime tomorrow. I can't wait to see the difference.
Now if you could only see the road! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Dave, cockpit looks great. As for a waterproof case for your Garmin, RAM Mounts makes a product they call aqua box or something close to this. It comes in several different sizes and it has a membrane front cover so you can use the touch screen on your GPS.

If I ultimately wind up with a non-waterproof GPS I plant to get a regular mount for those sunny days and an aqua box thingey for the other 362 days.

Loren
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dandiver said:
Looks real good. Curious about the compass though! With two GPS's, why the mechanical one? Does the sun shade help much with the 2720? Mine really gets washed out in the sunshine. By the way, I was up in SC this past weekend in the cage. Nice weather until the 26th. Left this morning for Florida and it was 37' chilly.
A lot of days I have no idea where I want to go & I'll leave the gps off. If I decide to head nnw for 6 to 8 hrs. I'll use the compass then I'll use the gps to get home. As far as the sun shade it doesn't help much at all. The angle of the screen & polarized glasses work best for me. It does keep most of the rain drops off though.
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RocketRon said:
Saddleman,
Why are you keeping both GPS's?
Because I can. :rolleyes: They are programed different so if I decide to change the type of roads I want to ride on one or the other will keep me on track without having to stop & change the priority settings.
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Voyager said:
Now if you could only see the road! :)
I have yet to ever look thru the windscreen. I sit high enough that my eyesight is over the windscreen.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,948 Posts
Do a couple of trips to check for interference between the two GPS's. I was messing around with two Garmins in the cage and found that there was some negative interaction. These are microwave receivers with very sensitive circuits that generate some RF hash. That can cause some false readings.
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PMitchell said:
Do a couple of trips to check for interference between the two GPS's. I was messing around with two Garmins in the cage and found that there was some negative interaction. These are microwave receivers with very sensitive circuits that generate some RF hash. That can cause some false readings.
I leave for a six day ride tomorrow. I'll try it with both on now & them just to see what happens.
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
david_yancey said:
Where did you get your shelf support extensions? I need a set like that for a shelf I have (not BMR).

Thanks in advance!
Five Star Race Car Bodies: part # 807-3 Body Brace I replaced everything with stainless steel fasteners except the right & left hand threaded aluminum hex rod & the swivel fasteners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts
Wow. The extra brace looks really good. Very clean install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
Ya really gotta put a DVD/Blueray player on that 7200.... Sheesh! :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
saddleman said:
A lot of days I have no idea where I want to go & I'll leave the gps off. If I decide to head nnw for 6 to 8 hrs. I'll use the compass then I'll use the gps to get home. As far as the sun shade it doesn't help much at all. The angle of the screen & polarized glasses work best for me. It does keep most of the rain drops off though.
I was curious about the compass also. Does not one of both of your GPS units have a compass screen display available? My old Garmin Streetpilot III did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
It's so ridiculous looking I'm just sitting here laughing..... thinking about all the people that have asked me why I need ONE gps..... which btw displays direction......

I thought I was crazy with my radar detector and two laser jammers....

Gotta have a hobby!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,681 Posts
Very nice setup!
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top