BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new 2009 LT last week. It was still crated when I went to see it. The day I rode it home the wind was very high. I had trouble controlling the bike. I had to take the back roads and at one time I had to pull over to rest because I had been fighting it so much. I was ready to take it back and demand my money. I called the dealer but they were already gone for the day. I never read where anyone complained about the problem so I started looking for information on the internet. The first post I read, a guy was talking about the same problem and he said he checked suspension adjustment under the seat and it was set very high. He cranked it all the down and it was like magic. The bike handled totally different. I made the same adjustment and got back on it and couldn't believe how much difference that made. Now I'm very happy with my new girl. I'm amazed at how nimble it is for such a large bike and how easy it is to handle. I was concerned about it being so top heavy but I'm yet to notice it when I stop. My wife picked up her 2010 F800ST the next day and she is very happy with it. I was riding a Honda VTX 1300 and she had a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 SE. After riding the LT, I may never even sit on another cruiser. We will spend the next few months getting used to the bikes then we are planning some distance trips in the spring, summer and fall next year. I can't wait to get out on the open road or the winding back country roads. i think we picked the right bikes.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I think ya did choose well... Welcome aboard!

As for the breeze... the LT does offer a "sail" when the wind hits from the side... Second, you just started riding the bike... perfectly understandable for you to be "tense"... Third, you just spent a lot of money.. you should enjoy that =)

Ride on, y'all!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
You have chosen wisely. :bmw:

(Howard will follow up with a pic of the knight from last crusade) ;)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Congratulations, Jerome. :cool:

Oh yeah - I almost forgot:

You have, indeed... chosen wisely. :D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welcome aboard Jerome. I know you will love your LT more every day. Try lowering the windshield a bit, that helps sometimes in high wind.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I live in Southwest Washington State, just across the Columbia River from Portland, OR. Some of my favorite rides are in the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area. Beautiful views but the wind she does blow. Hard and often! I have had times when I literally could not get off the bike. It would have instantly been blown over. The only solution was to keep riding.

Another time I was parked between two vehicles and backed the bike up using reverse gear. As soon as the top case got past the wind shadow of the upwind parked pick-up it was all over. Down she went. No holding her up!

No damage but I was sure thankful that I knew how to pick her up by myself. Watch the youtube video. Actually surprisingly easy to pick up.

Enjoy your new ride!

Loren

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase & welcome.
The first thing that comes to mind about windy conditions is to not tense up and keep a loose hold on the hand grips. Wind on your shoulders will cause you to make slight steering adjustments you don't want. Another way to combat a direct wind coming from the side is to have the lower wing, on the windward side, in the out position and the other wing pushed in against the tupperware. Seems to help, if only in my mind, but I do it.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
656 Posts
Grats on the new ride!!

Just wait until you get back on a cruiser you're really gonna wonder what's wrong

·
Registered
9 Posts
After awhile you will hardly notice the wind (compared to the first time you hit wind on your new LT).

+1 on the riding a cruiser. I jumped on a friends cruiser a couple of weeks ago, I didn't know where to put my feet, it was like I didn't know how to turn.... and I never realized the roads were so rough! I went running back to my LT :bmw:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts