BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm going to suggest you assume 1 it was an unintended error and 2 they will make it right. obviously heads will roll internally but mistakes happen. Tell them what you expect

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's not just BMW. I had service issues with a Concours and service issues at a different dealership on a Tracer 900 GT. Little sloppy things that shows no pride in workmanship....

FYI, I'm shopping for a 2022 RT and hope to ride one at Biketoberfest.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, talk about incompetent workmanship. Don't know your level of mechanical skill, but this sure makes a good argument for doing the work yourself! (Besides learning about your bike, it can be kinda fun if you're into it.) Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you can get them resolved satisfactorily.
Congrats on the new ride (y). That is a frustrating and disappointing new purchase experience.
How about dangerous?

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's roughly 150 miles from Scottsdale to Tucson. I used to have a winter home in Tucson Estates.
I can strongly recommend Iron Horse BMW in Tucson. They did a lot of maintenance on a few of my bikes and never once did I have any issues with them. As a member of SEAT [South East Arizona Touring riders], I'm still in touch and never have heard anything but good about IH.

My dealer here in NM is Sandia BMW in Albuquerque - 400 miles from me here in Clovis, NM - round trip. They're generally okay but there have been some problems recently. In the past, very few issues.

The point is, select a good dealer, encourage a good relationship and generally you'll have a pretty good experience.

Good luck getting it squared away.
Wow !!! Clovis NM. FOR years and years I visited my grandparents at 109 Green Acres Rd. It was very well maintained home with beautiful landscaping. My grandfather was a cattle cop back in the 60’s. I’ve never forgotten those memories.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A little over a month ago, I bought a 2021 R1250RT in Manhattan Metallic. I left it at the dealership, GO AZ Scottsdale, for installation of engine guards, bag guards and a new seat. It was ultimately completed and I picked it up last Friday. rode it a little bit on Friday and a little more on Sunday. Below is the email I sent to dealership Sunday evening:

"Before I got out of your parking lot on Friday the cover on the right side mirror fell off. I snapped it back on. I rode 25 miles on Friday with no issues. As you know I subsequently found the fog lights in the left side saddle bag. The service manager, whoever that is, should have told me about that. As you know, I never heard from anyone in service. And I did not mention to you that while the bike was being worked on I called the service guys twice, left messages, and did not hear back.

"Today I rode to Bartlett lake. I was halfway to the lake doing about 45 when the side fairing piece blew off. Fortunately there was no one behind me. I turned around and found it. It’s ruined. All scratched and a piece is broken off.

"Just before I tried to put it back on. Not possible because of the broken piece. I also noticed it needs some screws, which are missing. The right side seems to be fastened properly and tightly with its screws. It’s obvious to me that whoever put the engine guards on had to take off that fairing piece and did not put it back on properly, not to mention the fog lights.

"I’m sure it’s going to take forever to get a new fairing side piece.

"This whole situation is unacceptable. Please send me the name and phone number of the dealership manager."

I'm waiting for a call from the dealership general manager.

Ride safe.
A little over a month ago, I bought a 2021 R1250RT in Manhattan Metallic. I left it at the dealership, GO AZ Scottsdale, for installation of engine guards, bag guards and a new seat. It was ultimately completed and I picked it up last Friday. rode it a little bit on Friday and a little more on Sunday. Below is the email I sent to dealership Sunday evening:

"Before I got out of your parking lot on Friday the cover on the right side mirror fell off. I snapped it back on. I rode 25 miles on Friday with no issues. As you know I subsequently found the fog lights in the left side saddle bag. The service manager, whoever that is, should have told me about that. As you know, I never heard from anyone in service. And I did not mention to you that while the bike was being worked on I called the service guys twice, left messages, and did not hear back.

"Today I rode to Bartlett lake. I was halfway to the lake doing about 45 when the side fairing piece blew off. Fortunately there was no one behind me. I turned around and found it. It’s ruined. All scratched and a piece is broken off.

"Just before I tried to put it back on. Not possible because of the broken piece. I also noticed it needs some screws, which are missing. The right side seems to be fastened properly and tightly with its screws. It’s obvious to me that whoever put the engine guards on had to take off that fairing piece and did not put it back on properly, not to mention the fog lights.

"This whole situation is unacceptable. Please send me the name and phone number of the dealership manager."

Ride safe.
I have used a company in Phoenix called "Moto Ghost". They only work on BMW bikes and have done wonderful work for me in the past. They came highly recommended by a former BMW mechanic in Phoenix who had retired. They are located near 7th and I-101 at 21628 N. Central Ave., Phoenix. Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have used a company in Phoenix called "Moto Ghost". They only work on BMW bikes and have done wonderful work for me in the past. They came highly recommended by a former BMW mechanic in Phoenix who had retired. They are located near 7th and I-101 at 21628 N. Central Ave., Phoenix. Good luck
I plan on visiting them as well. When I went to GO AZ they quoted me (approximately) $850 to do the 24K service. My local BMW shop in Milwaukee quoted me $1200, so it seemed like a bargain at $850. I'll see what Moto Ghost charges. Not that the cheapest price is the only goal. Naturally quality comes before that. But if they are both good, why not save $$ if possible?

·
Registered
2017, R1200RT
1 Posts
Sorry to hear of your experience; another fine example of "customer no service" as Clark Howard likes to say. I've always performed my own maintenance on other motorcycle brands and thanks to @Boxflyer 's youtube videos I've started preforming maintenance on my new to me 2017 R1200RT. Also, my riding buddies have recommended MotoGhost as an alternative to the dealership shops in Phoenix.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's roughly 150 miles from Scottsdale to Tucson. I used to have a winter home in Tucson Estates.
I can strongly recommend Iron Horse BMW in Tucson. They did a lot of maintenance on a few of my bikes and never once did I have any issues with them. As a member of SEAT [South East Arizona Touring riders], I'm still in touch and never have heard anything but good about IH.

My dealer here in NM is Sandia BMW in Albuquerque - 400 miles from me here in Clovis, NM - round trip. They're generally okay but there have been some problems recently. In the past, very few issues.

The point is, select a good dealer, encourage a good relationship and generally you'll have a pretty good experience.

Good luck getting it squared away.

Last year I tried to buy an RT from Sandia. They didn't have the color I wanted and the sales manager was very disorganized. He was going to see if he could get what I wanted and just left me hanging for more than a week without answers. Santa Fe BMW didn't have my color either but at least the sales person was straight forward and didn't leave me waiting for an answer. I decided to do a fly and ride and was communicating with GO in Scottsdale and Iron Horse in Tucson. Iron Horse was much more professional and eager to do business. The salesman actually picked me up at the airport. Smaller dealerships like Iron Horse always seem to have ownership that is more "hands on" and the customer service reflects it. I'd recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Ride safe.
Most likely, they are clone of Kissel Motorsports in Tyrone, PA.
Same strategy of utmost incompetence. This is the conclusion after buying 2 1250 RT (me and a friend) and the subsequent relationship dealer-client.
It's a long story and it is so sad BMW Motorrad USA allows such people to do business under their flag.
And yes, I service my bike alone. Though I cannot reset the oil interval. I tried GS 911 wireless and returned it after successive failures to get anything out of it. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Yup. I had a recall done at GOAZ last March and they chipped the paint on the front fender. They made good on it by repainting it, but it wasn't the first time. I had a warranty repair done in 2012 or 2013 and they didn't route the fuel lines right when putting it back together. My impression is that they are so motivated on flat rate that they rush everything. The mechanics are pressured to make time. Could be they have inexperienced people as well. Victory BMW was very good when they were independent, but when they sold to RideNow, they went down the drain. I wouldn't let them work on my lawnmower. The only other choice is Ironhorse, which I've heard is great, but it's a 120 miles for me each way. While they made right on the chipped fender, their pricing is high on bikes and then there's the addendums they try to sell too and I'd never buy from them. Bob Parsons has his business model and it's not with the customer's best interests at heart, it's about the upsell, always.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Same strategy of utmost incompetence. This is the conclusion after buying 2 1250 RT (me and a friend) and the subsequent relationship dealer-client.
It's a long story and it is so sad BMW Motorrad USA allows such people to do business under their flag.
And yes, I service my bike alone. Though I cannot reset the oil interval. I tried GS 911 wireless and returned it after successive failures to get anything out of it. Any ideas ?
I'm taking it that you have a 2021 RT. Get in touch with Hex and ask them to put you on the list of beta software users and the GS 911 will work on a 2021 RT

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
85 Posts
I got it to work to reset the service warning without any beta software on my 21. The 911 is a bear to deal with. I’ve owned it for 5 years and I’m still not sure how to get it to work. In the end I hooked the 911 to my laptop via usb. I updated the software for the tenth time and somehow the option to reset showed up. Let’s say the software is not user friendly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I plan on visiting them as well. When I went to GO AZ they quoted me (approximately) $850 to do the 24K service. My local BMW shop in Milwaukee quoted me $1200, so it seemed like a bargain at $850. I'll see what Moto Ghost charges. Not that the cheapest price is the only goal. Naturally quality comes before that. But if they are both good, why not save $$ if possible?
My local BMW dealer here in Austin TX just quoted me $875 for my 12K mile service (same service items I believe between 12K and 24K) so its ball park to your quote. They said it includes a valve check/adjustment. $1200 sounds insane.

OP, that sounds like worst possible experience when purchasing a new bike and totally lets the wind out of your sails. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My local BMW dealer here in Austin TX just quoted me $875 for my 12K mile service (same service items I believe between 12K and 24K) so its ball park to your quote. They said it includes a valve check/adjustment. $1200 sounds insane.

OP, that sounds like worst possible experience when purchasing a new bike and totally lets the wind out of your sails. Let us know how you make out.
thanks - That's what I figured. GO AZ quoted me about $875 as well. The $1200 sounded like a money grab from the get go. I had 19K on the bike and the service guy said I should just go ahead and do it sooner than later. But it was serviced at 12K and at 18K, so I'm just going to do it after only 1000 miles? I don't think so.

I will say that this place is new to BMW and their mainstay is Ducati, so maybe he's going by that pricing. Regardless - nope.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
The 12K service is such a rip off. It's not like a K1600 where you have to take half the front end apart to get at the valve cover and spark plugs, and they charge about 800 for that. One screw to take the cover off the spark plug and 3 bolts to remove the valve cover. Then everything is right in front of them. There's only 8 valves to check not 24. If it takes a mechanic longer then an hour to do this task he needs to find a new job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Flo, sorry to hear about your experience with Kissel Motorsports. I picked up a new to me 2014 R1200RT from them last Thursday with less than 16K miles on it. I traded an 02 K1200RS on it. The RS was the most fun of the 4 BMW's owned to date (R75/5 in Germany in 19975 until a shiny new R100RT in 79 until a preowned LT with 1K miles in 2000 until the RS 4 years ago). The RS was by far the smoothest shifting but a recent knee injury made that position in riding painful. Put over 1000 miles on the RT in 3 days last weekend, from Pittsburgh two lane riding north to Lake Erie then along the lake to visit sisters in Lockport, NY. Came back through the Allegheny National Forest. The RT ran flawlessly. Only small issue was the Corbin seat became a little uncomfortable after 3 hrs/ 200 miles. Moved the seat to the higher position which helped but it wouldn't latch in that position. Corbin confirmed by email that their seat can only latch in one position. I've order a set of Kuryakyn highway pegs which I hope will allow shifting positions sufficiently to address the one issue.
About Kissel, they were actually very good to work with when I let them know exactly what I wanted to do. BTW, they had about 50 Beemers in stock compared to one, yes 1, preowned at the Pittsburgh dealer. They probably could have negotiated harder when we examined the bike and realized the previous owner had added over $5k in accessories many of which they had missed in their description. But they stuck to the agreement. We found in addition to the Corbin seat, color coordinated top box, crash bars all round, and custom brake and valve covers, that the owner had put the Corbin riders back rest and bike cover in one of the bags. I noticed, but didn't tell them, that it had a Werks Quiet Ride windshield and headlight cover and an air horn upgrade.
And they financed at a lower rate than BMW offerred for preowned. As far as their service department, I can't say. In over 160K miles, I've never actually had a dealer service my bikes.
I hope those of you experiencing problems can get through them and enjoy the bikes doing what they're designed to do. Any advice from '14 RT owners is appreciated. Really like this forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

Ride safe.
UPDATE:

My salesman, who is a really good guy, forwarded my message to the general manager stating the manager would contact me. Didn't hear from him. I emailed my salesman telling him I hadn't heard and he gave me the GM's phone number. I called him and left a message. On Friday, 10/8, I called the salesman, told him I had not heard from the GM, and wanted his suggestion on what to do about the bike, as I could not ride it in its condition. Half hour later, the salesman had a dealership delivery guy in my driveway with a trailer to take the bike back to the dealership. Several hours later, the GM called me and we discussed the issues. He told me he would look into the matter and make sure arrangements are made to repair the bike and install the fog lamps. I called the GM yesterday, 10/14, and left a message stating the bike had been at the dealership since 10/8 and I had not heard a word from anyone about it. Two hours later the service manager called me and related the following: they have the brackets for the fog lamps and they will be installed; as best he could tell, the bolts holding the left side fairing onto the frame were either loose or missing and therefore the wind pulled it off; a new side fairing has been ordered, it is coming from Germany and is expected in one week; it has to be painted and that will take, perhaps, two weeks more. The service manager told me he would update me every week.

·
Premium Member
7,792 Posts
That is not good news. I was hoping Kissel was a good shop as the shop where I bought my LT new in 07 is now out of business (Country Rode Motowerks) as they had an idiot for a service manager and they had to send me a part in the mail after they forgot to put it back on after a service. Thankfully, it was only the reverse control knob so not critical, but still shows the lack of attention to detail.

I test rode a couple of K bikes at Kissel a few years ago and they seemed like good people, but that was sales and not service. They are my closest dealer so if I trade my LT on another BMW, they would be the most likely place I would go.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts