BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little over a month ago, I bought a 2021 R1250RT in Manhattan Metallic. I left it at the dealership, GO AZ Scottsdale, for installation of engine guards, bag guards and a new seat. It was ultimately completed and I picked it up last Friday. rode it a little bit on Friday and a little more on Sunday. Below is the email I sent to dealership Sunday evening:

"Before I got out of your parking lot on Friday the cover on the right side mirror fell off. I snapped it back on. I rode 25 miles on Friday with no issues. As you know I subsequently found the fog lights in the left side saddle bag. The service manager, whoever that is, should have told me about that. As you know, I never heard from anyone in service. And I did not mention to you that while the bike was being worked on I called the service guys twice, left messages, and did not hear back.

"Today I rode to Bartlett lake. I was halfway to the lake doing about 45 when the side fairing piece blew off. Fortunately there was no one behind me. I turned around and found it. It’s ruined. All scratched and a piece is broken off.

"Just before I tried to put it back on. Not possible because of the broken piece. I also noticed it needs some screws, which are missing. The right side seems to be fastened properly and tightly with its screws. It’s obvious to me that whoever put the engine guards on had to take off that fairing piece and did not put it back on properly, not to mention the fog lights.

"I’m sure it’s going to take forever to get a new fairing side piece.

"This whole situation is unacceptable. Please send me the name and phone number of the dealership manager."

I'm waiting for a call from the dealership general manager.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A little over a month ago, I bought a 2021 R1250RT in Manhattan Metallic. I left it at the dealership, GO AZ Scottsdale, for installation of engine guards, bag guards and a new seat. It was ultimately completed and I picked it up last Friday. rode it a little bit on Friday and a little more on Sunday. Below is the email I sent to dealership Sunday evening:

"Before I got out of your parking lot on Friday the cover on the right side mirror fell off. I snapped it back on. I rode 25 miles on Friday with no issues. As you know I subsequently found the fog lights in the left side saddle bag. The service manager, whoever that is, should have told me about that. As you know, I never heard from anyone in service. And I did not mention to you that while the bike was being worked on I called the service guys twice, left messages, and did not hear back.

"Today I rode to Bartlett lake. I was halfway to the lake doing about 45 when the side fairing piece blew off. Fortunately there was no one behind me. I turned around and found it. It’s ruined. All scratched and a piece is broken off.

"Just before I tried to put it back on. Not possible because of the broken piece. I also noticed it needs some screws, which are missing. The right side seems to be fastened properly and tightly with its screws. It’s obvious to me that whoever put the engine guards on had to take off that fairing piece and did not put it back on properly, not to mention the fog lights.

"This whole situation is unacceptable. Please send me the name and phone number of the dealership manager."

Ride safe.
Wow, talk about incompetent workmanship. Don't know your level of mechanical skill, but this sure makes a good argument for doing the work yourself! (Besides learning about your bike, it can be kinda fun if you're into it.) Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you can get them resolved satisfactorily.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
It's roughly 150 miles from Scottsdale to Tucson. I used to have a winter home in Tucson Estates.
I can strongly recommend Iron Horse BMW in Tucson. They did a lot of maintenance on a few of my bikes and never once did I have any issues with them. As a member of SEAT [South East Arizona Touring riders], I'm still in touch and never have heard anything but good about IH.

My dealer here in NM is Sandia BMW in Albuquerque - 400 miles from me here in Clovis, NM - round trip. They're generally okay but there have been some problems recently. In the past, very few issues.

The point is, select a good dealer, encourage a good relationship and generally you'll have a pretty good experience.

Good luck getting it squared away.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
299 Posts
Very interested on how your dealer responds. Please keep us posted

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
85 Posts

Ride safe.
Holy F#*k!!!! What a shit show! I'd go postal on them!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wow I so feel bad for you like the so-called predelivery sounds like it was nonexistent and not to have the LED lights fitted is slack they come standard on the new 2021 RT`s that alone should have raised some concern once they took the bike out of the transport/packing box. I would be emailing both the dealer principal and cc BMW Motorrad into the email I am sure you will get a fast reply and have this situation fixed by either replacing the bike or making sure they look after you as a priority with the run in service thrown in free of charge as a goodwill gesture.
I am so sorry to hear this and can not imagine how you feel about this bad experience. I like so many here wish you all the best in having a positive result in rectifying this for you as a matter of great urgency. Please keep us up to date.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
That's totally unacceptable. I'd be taking pictures and calling BMW. The only good thing, if you want to call it that, is you can still ride the bike. And again this is a compelling reason to own a service manual, so you know what goes where and how tight to install the screws, nuts, and bolts that hold it together.

Congrats on the new bike, even though you had a terrible start with it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
On a new bike or any bike that would piss me off. But I've had my '18 GSA serviced at GO AZ in Scottsdale 3 times and everything looked good when I got the bike back. Service reps have always been friendly but in the future I think I'll start checking everything out a little more.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
16 Posts
You should be getting a survey from BMW regarding the dealer's performance on the sale of the bike. Think I got mine about 3 days after I picked it up. Definitely take the opportunity on it to prove this exact feedback. Include a request that someone from BMW Motorrad NA contact you directly to discuss as well. I would ask the dealer for name and contact info for their BMW Regional / Area Rep too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to hear of this kind of P..s Poor service. Just curious as to what brand of engine bars you put on. I'm guessing Illium and they did not have the $110.00 extensions for the lights. Not that it matters really. Good luck on getting everything taken care of promptly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to hear of this kind of P..s Poor service. Just curious as to what brand of engine bars you put on. I'm guessing Illium and they did not have the $110.00 extensions for the lights. Not that it matters really. Good luck on getting everything taken care of promptly
Illium. But, they should have told me that another part was needed for the lights.

·
Super Moderator
1,425 Posts
I accepted my 2021 R1250RT back in late June and after riding home took off all the side panels, seats, windshields, bags and went over all the connection points - reviewed the battery connections, lug nuts and suspension components along with brakes connections & brakes. Found two screws missing on front bottom fairing that were missed by the factory - dealer did not see and has since replaced. Just trying to confirm and get knowledge of what goes where and how everything fits up.

You should ask your dealer what quality assurance and checking procedures they use!! Most often they don't have them and when it comes to safety and quality they can be lacking.
I cannot tell the amount of times that things go bad after obtaining professional trained dealer services when work is not checked.

Fortunately this is not the outcome of a majority of dealer services as good service results are not usually broadcasted.
Good luck in your folllow up with the dealer . . .:cool:

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
16 Posts
A little over a month ago, I bought a 2021 R1250RT in Manhattan Metallic. I left it at the dealership, GO AZ Scottsdale, for installation of engine guards, bag guards and a new seat. It was ultimately completed and I picked it up last Friday.
This is especially bad if bought all these accessories from the dealer. They really didn't sell you all the parts needed on top of not doing a great job.

One thing I'd consider doing is basically saying that you want to return everything from a complete refund. No wholly unreasonable given the circumstances.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting. I was planning on using GO AZ to get my 24K service. We're wintering there but live in Wisconsin. I even went in to visit the shop to see what was what. It's an impressive dealer. The people were friendly and helpful. I asked around on another forum and they got good feedback. It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience. Clearly inexcusable. I'll dig a little deeper before using them.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Ride safe.
This is terrible. What a disaster. I recommend you drive the bike back to the dealer, and let him know you want it in show-room condition before you will accept it back. Take picture, keep a log, and be prepared to go to BMW corporate and raise a stink. Sorry it's come to this. Unacceptable treatment

1 - 20 of 38 Posts