BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 LT which I bought in June with 25K and have put about 3K on it. I noticed the clutch slipping in 5th so did my homework ordered the parts and took it into my local shop where a mechanic with pretty extensive BMW experience changed out the clutch. After they finished they couldn't get the bike to start (press the starter and nothing happens) and called me for any special tricks. I suggested checking the reverse gear etc sidestand emergency shut-off the regular stuff. Nothing work so they felt a connector must have came lose under the tank, which they checked to no avail. I called yesterday and they say that coincidentally my starter relay is shot which they proved by by-passing the relay and getting the bike to start. Does this sound right? I had no issues with the bike starting prior to taking it to the shop could it be the starter relay and if so do they just go all of a sudden with no reason? I am thinking they may have messed up and somehow burnt the relay, but I am not a mechanic and don't want to jump to conclusions they seem like pretty good folks etc.. also where can i get a relay quickly part # 6135-2305-889? Thank You

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
The alarm security system may need to be reset. This sometimes needs to be done when the battery has been disconnected. I've never had to reset mine so really don't know the process. I'm sure others will be able to give details.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
The biggest culprit is the two micro switches on the F-R shaft. If they pulled that off when they removed the transmission they most likely broke one of the switch actuator bumps. This switch removes the starter button "signal" from the starter relay and transfers it to the reverser controller. My money is on that set of switches. The relay is very reliable so I would not even consider changing it out.

There is a way to "jump" the connector and test the relay. It is located up near the coil block, it is white, and has four wires. You need to jump the Brown/green/white wire with the Brown/green/yellow at the bike side of the connector (disconnect it). If you do that and press the starter button it should work.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
RocketRon said:
John...you amaze me with your knowledge! Very impressive! (whether or not this is Scott's problem)
Every one has a "gift" that they have been given to share with the rest of humanity. I can't sing in a choir, dance a happy jig, or write an exciting novel. This is what I do and I share that with you.:) And it makes me happy!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
John, I agree, what you have and what is becomming harder and harder to find in this crazy shallow world is passion, and it comes from the heart of course, that's the happy bit. I see this (lack of real passion for understanding things technical) more and more in industry, and there are many inputs for that, but too political for this forum. keep up the great exchange of knowledge and we all benefit. To all,.... never be afraid to ask a question. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts