BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure hope I haven't done a stupid thing here so I need some comments on the overall package. This is our '99 LT in Basalt Gray Metallic. I also have a 2002 GoldWing that we had this '07 Hannigan trailer made for. It's been used probably less than a dozen times on the road and since I got the LT a little over a year ago, I just don't ride the GL or use the trailer much.

So with the new, to me, LT getting most of the riding time, I decided I'd have it painted to match the Basalt Bray Metallic and the Magnesium Metallic of the lower portion of the LT. After leaving it at the paint shop, I left to do the Ga Dash ride that is in another post here. Lots of the time while doing that ride, I was thinking I had done something I shouldn't have. Then again I'd think it's gonna be fine with the paint scheme pulling behind the LT.

I picked it up after lunch this afternoon and was impressed with the work the young painter at our body shop did in matching the colors up. It's right cloudy here today and these few shots may look a tad on the blue side. But this color can look from a blueish tint in shade to a more grayer look in direct sunlight.

Also most will notice the tail lights don't look BMW'ish because they were matching the GL's taillights at the Hannigan factory. And as I've put on the chromed trim pieces around those taillights, they probably stand out a little more.

But taking into consideration my LT is going on 13 years, bless it's heart, and the trailer is almost 5 years old... What do you guys and gals think of the look??

1) Do you like the two toned paint job?, 2) Do you think I should have left it the Basalt Gray all over?, 3) Do you think I should have left it the Champagne color and left it behind the GL, 4) Should I be refrained from making major decisions any longer, 5) Will any of this matter if I pass you right fast, and/or 6) Is this trailer gonna make my butt look big?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it looks great!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think it looks great. I also have a 99LT Basalt so I am partial to the color combo you have there.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
:yeah:

I like the lighter lower. Makes me want to tune up my ZZ.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wonderful job there! I love the two-tone; your guys did a great job matching the bike. Regarding making your butt look bigger - I've heard greys and blacks give a slimming look...so, all's good! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Pretty sure is will make your butt look bigger...

Other than that looks Awesome!!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
The rig looks great !! You couldn't have done better--unless you wanted something funky.
It looks like they were made for each other !

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tommy,

I understand your concern that the LT - trailer package may not be all that good looking or functional. You may well have made a huge mistake. As a good will gesture I'll be happy to take over the trailer rig and hitch for you.....so you won't loose any more sleep over this. I won't even charge for the help.

Here to serve.......
:histerica

JD

·
Super Moderator
1,410 Posts
WOW . . . :clapping:

Are you kidding me it looks fantastic - I especially like:

1. The black bra - transitions well with the black seats
2. The chrome tongue - flows well with the LTs muffler cover
3. The two tone paint job to match the bike

You have it together - actually makes the bike look younger - nice package!!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
1) Do you like the two toned paint job?, 2) Do you think I should have left it the Basalt Gray all over?, 3) Do you think I should have left it the Champagne color and left it behind the GL, 4) Should I be refrained from making major decisions any longer, 5) Will any of this matter if I pass you right fast, and/or 6) Is this trailer gonna make my butt look big?

Questions 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5:
I really like the paint job. Looks great. I don't think you could improve on it.
Unless you paint it Canyon Red and give it to me.... that'd be better. :histerica

Question #6: How big is your butt?

;)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
dfinazzo said:
WOW . . . :clapping:

Are you kidding me it looks fantastic - I especially like:

1. The black bra - transitions well with the black seats
2. The chrome tongue - flows well with the LTs muffler cover
3. The two tone paint job to match the bike

You have it together - actually makes the bike look younger - nice package!!
PLUS +!+!+! REAL NICE!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Tommy,

Looks fantastic - should make the heart pound every time you walk up to it.

Did you do the electrical links yourself. I am just about to wire up a trailer to do a trip around Australia next year, and would like to make the hitch removable when not using the trailer. This means having a plug / socket on the bike so that the wiring can remain attached to the hitch.

Have you made provision for a small fridge inside at all?

Barry
K1200LT 2002
R100R Mystic 1996

·
Registered
476 Posts
It looks awesome! Don't worry, just ride. OK so now you point out the tail lights of the trailer are GW, I wasn't even concerned or thinking that until you pointed it out, so while I would probably ask myself the same question if it were me (understand that I am finnicky and a nit-picker for details - my buddies all tell me that), I would still leave it as is and not worry about it - it truly looks terrific. All the best and nice job!

·
Registered
338 Posts
On second thought...I think this is just your suttle way to brag about the great looking trailer rig and you know what ?? You deserve to brag !!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
WOW,,, I'm really blown away by all the wonderful comments you guys posted. Man, I feel better all over more than anywhere else now and am back to my original feelings that it is a great looking combo. You know when you have too much time on your hands sometimes you start doubting yourself and I guess I had a case of that.

Main point here is... the wife liked it immediately when I rode up in the driveway and that's a large plus as any of you married guys can relate to. If Momma ain't happy... well you know the rest. So the GL is washed, polished and covered over under that white tent and might have to rest for awhile as this will be so much fun to pull.

One of you asked if I did the electrics. Yes I do it all on my bikes. I have had the Tupperware off this thing enough that I can put it back together in way less than an hour. As I've changed out the radio to a Jensen 2212 and totally rewired that into the BMW bundle, added the Air Temp sensor and the OnBoard Computer, Run-N-Lites into the blinkers, added the J&M CB/Intercom radio and Firestick antenna and mount, added the Sirius module into the Jensen and also a nice fuse block under the seat, I've had most everything off the bike but have yet to remove the tank. About the only thing I've had to 'have' done was installing the new throttle cables and I got a break on that price a bit. It's fun, but I'm about tired of taking plastic off and hope to get lots of riding time in now.

In the electrical wiring stuff, I have lots of hands on electronic experience so that comes pretty easy - Ham Radio, Radio Control nut, licensed pilot, etc. - its just getting these fingers to work on the small parts that takes a little time. The hitch I have is a Dauntless and came with all the necessary things to wire the hitch into the bike and also the plug into the trailer. I scraped the net for the Hannigan diagram and found the color code and so that went pretty well. The way the plug wired up took some doing with #12 wire that had to be stripped back less than ¼" and bent into a hole and screwed to the connector. Five wires in each the plug and connector, but I got it done and it worked. I also did the fix on the Speedometer by jumping the set of pins to get it even with the GPS, and all this has been fun. I'm a nut about things doing what their supposed to. Spedo is dead on at 70 - 80 with the Zumo GPS.

Thanks again all and isn't this a great forum to communicate with like mined folk!!

Later

1 - 20 of 50 Posts