BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the back. :( I have lost 60 pounds since Jan. this year. I guess I had more padding in my backside regions back then and now that I don't, going for an hours ride (if that far), is a real pain in the neck, er...back! Pain starts within a few miles near my backbone about shoulder blade level. In a few more it radiates around to the sides and working its way around the front. I have a stock seat on an '05. Yesterday and today, I added my Airrider and that helped on the morning commute, but not much in the afternoon.

I guess my options are to take my weight back up to 270 (don't ever want to be there again!) or buy an aftermarket seat. With so many manufacturers and models/styles, how do you know which one? ??? I can't buy them all for testing. I figure once you've bought it, it's YOURS!

Anybody ever had pain like this and what did you do to fix it? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Lee;

thank you, I have the same question. Just returned from a 3500 mile trip. Need a new / rebuilt seat. Need pros and cons. I know there is Russell and Kontour. Any others.

Jim

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a Corbin on the 2000 and it wasn't bad with the Airrider on it. Saddle man has the 2000 now, along with the Corbin which is off the bike. I asked him about borrowing it to see if it would cure the pain, but he said we tried it some time ago and it wouldn't fit. The body panels are different, so it takes a different seat pan. Why don't I remember trying this?? Stupid no-working brain! :histerica

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Lee,
congrats on the weight loss.

I am using a Russell Day-long on my LT since the stock seat did exactly what you describe. I believe that Rick Meyer (spelling) also rebuilds seats for LT's. If you where a few states closer I would let you try my Russell. I think you just have to remove the two side panels to try a seat from the earlier models.

best of luck on the continued weight control

Roy

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Dang, I can't even lose 10lbs!!

Congrats on the weight loss.

I had the same problem, I hated the stock seat. I couldn't figure out what seat to get, I took my chances on a used Corbin from this site and I really like it. It is however very hard, I don't know why that works for me but it does. People that sit on it are very surprised to feel how hard it is.

Wish I could be more help.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My advice is to get a Russell. There are other good makers out there as well...I had a Rick Mayer on my FJR and enjoyed it.

I got a Russell for my GTL at the beginning of the summer, and it has surpassed my most optimistic expectations. I suffer from bony arsed syndrome, and my Russell is the most comfortable thing I own to sit on, including all of the furniture in my house.

Sounds like your pain is higher up...your posture has probably changed...you might be sitting lower without your built-in cushion and having to reach up to the bars a little more. I know I had some shoulder and upper back pain when I first got my LT. The Russell might help, as it will sit you a little higher...and they can even raise you more if you'd like. I wanted more leg room and I'm now at least 2-3 inches higher than I was on the stock seat. If you have enough inseam to tolerate that, it might help your back. My $.02.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My back and shoulder pain disappeared almost completely when I put on a bakup(?) backrest.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I had read good things on this site about the Russell Day-long seats. I'll probably look into one of them. I just wish there was time to get one before leaving for CCR.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've got a Corbin heated front and rear with the backrest I bought as a package deal to get the **** o pegs and luggage.Anyone has any interest I'll run an ad for $300.00 plus shipping.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Newbuellertoo said:
My back and shoulder pain disappeared almost completely when I put on a bakup(?) backrest.
+1 on the backrest! I had the same pain and the backrest really helped.

Also, I sent my seats to Astech Seats (Jonesboro, IN) and they removed the cover, put the latest in gel and memory foam, and put my covers back on - both seats, $330.00! It was a fairly cheap try at getting some comfort - and it worked! If I had the money, I'd do a Kontour, or Day Long, though!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took a ride this afternoon, approximately the same as my commute to work and back. I changed from my Joe Rocket mesh jacket to my Olympia Airglide 2. With the hot weather, I'd been wearing the mesh. Since the Joe Rocket feels heavier than the Olympia, I thought that might have been causing the pain. It wasn't that! On the way home, I stopped and put the seat in the low position, still having the Airrider in place. I felt like the high position was causing a slight forward tilt. While that felt a little better, it wasn't the cure I'd hoped. DANG! Stupid uncomfortable seat!

A couple members have posted that they'd sell a Corbin and a Cee Bailey's seat. Both are from pre-'05 models. With all the changes to the body work, will the pre-'05 Cee Bailey's seat fit an '05? If the Corbin for Dave's 2000 won't fit, it's likely the C.B. won't either. Anybody have any experience with this swap?

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
A backrest made a BIG change for me. Prior to getting it I always felt as if the handle bars were about 2 inches to far forward.

Since the wx here is HOT, I went with a locally made seat, Kontour--nice and cool when the temps are 100+

Bob

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
Plus 1 on the Bakup Back rest. It made a big difference on my LT. After putting it on the bike all my back pain was gone. My ass would still hurt till I rebuilt my seat but the back pain was gone.

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,068 Posts
katnapinn said:
Plus 1 on the Bakup Back rest. It made a big difference on my LT. After putting it on the bike all my back pain was gone. My ass would still hurt till I rebuilt my seat but the back pain was gone.
I have a spare Backup Back Rest & it will be on Lee's bike when he leave's today.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave and I spent the afternoon trying to make the LT fit the reduced size me. Nothing we did worked. I rode in between each change and the pain set in within 5 miles each time. I rode farther than I should have with the Corbin and the pain was so bad I considered parking the bike and walking back to Dave's house. I put the stock seat back on and headed for home. It's approx. 15 miles from Dave's house to mine. If I had a trailer, I would have had my wife bring it to me. Too much pain for riding to be any fun. I was planning to leave for CCR next Sunday morning. Since I can't make 10 miles before the pain is almost too much, looks like I'm going to have to sit this one out. :( :mad:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I asked one of the trainers at my gym about the pain when riding. He knows my workouts, so I thought he might have some input. He asked if I had been working on my core/abs. I told him I had not. He said he is pretty sure that is my problem. If you work front muscles over back muscles, the front muscles get tighter and short, while the back muscles get weaker and longer. This can cause pain in the front. Same applies if the back is worked and not the front. This can cause pain in the back. Oops. Looks like I have some work to do. Either that or I could quit working out altogether. Hmmm. Nah. Took too much work to get where I am.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Lee510 said:
I asked one of the trainers at my gym about the pain when riding. He knows my workouts, so I thought he might have some input. He asked if I had been working on my core/abs. I told him I had not. He said he is pretty sure that is my problem. If you work front muscles over back muscles, the front muscles get tighter and short, while the back muscles get weaker and longer. This can cause pain in the front. Same applies if the back is worked and not the front. This can cause pain in the back. Oops. Looks like I have some work to do. Either that or I could quit working out altogether. Hmmm. Nah. Took too much work to get where I am.
Lee, I've been a gym rat for more years than I can remember - personal fitness trainer also. Up till now I thought you were talking about the typical back/butt pain one may experience from the seat. But, it sounds like yours is more than that. Where specifically is it hurting? Spinal erectors? Lats? Traps? Sounds like your trainer may be on to something - the core is extremely important to keep in shape - front, sides, and back. Let me know if I can help!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Core muscle strength is essential. I too am concerned your issues may be more than just a problem with the seat. It may have to do with your posture while riding. look up Master Yoda's Riding position. It has helped many. May want to try to duplicate the symptoms while off the bike by sitting and putting your arms and hands in a similar posture. If you can get the symptoms to appear elsewhere, probably not the seat. Other possibilities could include intercostal neuralgia , chostocondritis, imflammation or irritation where the ribs join to the spine. I would consult a physiatrist , orthopedist, rheumatologist or a chiropractor to be sure all is functioning as it should. Have them run some blood work as well if this has not been done in a while. While seat comfort can be an issue it is usually not this extreme nor is onset that quick. Good luck with it all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.