BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MODS - Please leave this here for a while so that everyone will see it, a lot of time when into compiling this info and it will get lost in the "battery" section!

Well, since my 2nd Odyssey PC680 left me rideless on a fine Christmas Day I decided to do some shopping for a new battery - and thought I would share some current pricing and resources. I did this based soley on price and specifications called for in the repair manual. Discussions of which battery is "best" has been covered many times before in many threads, and like oil, everyone has their favorite.

BMW Brand

It's a battery, not a chunk of gold. About $120.00, or more.

Odyssey PC680

I've given up on this battery and have tried hard to like them for the past several years - but it just did not work well for me. Sure, they have a flashy red case and marketing hype to go with it, but at only 16ah instead of the specified 19ah for our LT's it ain't gonna happen again. The prices seem to be hovering around $100.00 or more currently.

Panasonic LCX1220P*

This one is 20ah so it fits the bill and a solid brand. The least expensive price I found was at "U batteries" for $53.19 - BUT - it appears their web site is not working properly - even on Christmas you would think it would be functional....
http://ubatteries.com/cart/LCX1220P.html

* This is the same battery as the WestCo 12V 20P, (WestCo slaps their sticker on it) but it appears that since the WestCo is "specifically" for motorcycles they feel compelled to charge a MUCH higher price for it. More marketing hype.

Werker WKA 12-18NB

At 18ah it should werk, and it is made by Exide in the USA. This is carried by Batteries Plus but I've found their prices are ALWAYS high, either at the store or on the web. A big plus is that it comes with a 2 year warranty. Best price I found was $42.95 at www.replacementupsbattery.com/Product_pages/wka12-18NB.html

Universal Battery UB 12180

18ah, but right on the cover it says made in China, and at only $33.92 a smoking bargain, but I figure it probably WOULD be smoking in short time... You pays your money and you takes your chances. Not for me.
http://www.batteriesasap.com/46.html?gclid=CKnUsPbexJACFSD7iAodo1q2Og

Yuasa/Enersys NP18-12BFR

18ah, a respected brand that I've had good luck with over the years. It's probably made in China :( instead of Japan these days, hopefully in an ISO Certified facility. I found it for $24.99 on Flea bay, item no. 220166181378 from a 99.7% supplier. Ding, Ding, a winner! Add $9.50 Priority Mail shipping and it has a new home for the grand total of $34.49. Maybe in time for a New Years Day ride!

Almost all of the batteries had a shipping charge of $10.00, but I didn't spend much time looking at that. Freshness is an important consideration when buying batteries - and you are probably more likely to get a newer one from the big suppliers, but unfortunately there is no way to tell in advance. I sure do wish they were required to put a date on them that was not buried in some arcane manufacturer's "code." :alien:

I did find several other brands that I had never heard of before - and they were dirt cheap - they were probably just rebranded Chinese stuff like the UB mentioned above - they looked the same.

My take on batteries is that proper care and charging routines are critically important in gettting max life from them, once again fodder for another thread.

May all your Christmases be BRIGHT! ;) :sun:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Or.....

Bend the tabs at the bottom and sides of the battery box out of the way. Install a 20 Ah Goldwing battery from the GL1100-1200 series bikes. More amperage, less price ($40-50 locally), easily removed. My LT never started this well before. I personally like batteries I can add water too. In our desert heat batteries never last over 3 years, so why would I spend more for an expensive battery?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
suzbmwhnd said:
Bend the tabs at the bottom and sides of the battery box out of the way. Install a 20 Ah Goldwing battery from the GL1100-1200 series bikes. More amperage, less price ($40-50 locally), easily removed. My LT never started this well before. I personally like batteries I can add water too. In our desert heat batteries never last over 3 years, so why would I spend more for an expensive battery?
Very clever - what brand battery is it?

My wife's OEM Panasonic sealed battery lasted 6 years in her 2001 Honda CRV cage in Tucson. :eek: I was impressed enough to buy another one but when the dealer quoted me $140.00 (and not available anywhere else that I could find) I passed and got her the Everstart at Wally World - a Consumer Reports best buy - for $45.00. ;)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Westco

I had a Westco 3 going on 4 years and was thinking @ replacing it before I sold the LT just because I had gone through 2 BMW batteries prior.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Odyssey

The Odyssey in my LT went in at around 9-11K miles. Hard to remember that long ago, but it replaced the factory unit, when it died.

Same battery is still cranking hard at 37.6K miles, about 6 years later !

·
Registered
748 Posts
I bought the United Power Group AGM battery from www.ebatteriestogo.com last year and love it. My 99 starts after sitting for weeks even this time of year. Here are the three batteries that they carry for the LTs:

The following battery options have been identified for your application:

WestCo 12V20P Sealed AGM - 12 Volt - 275 CCA - 20 AH - $106.95.

United Power Group - Adventure Power UB22-12N Sealed AGM - 12 Volt - 420 CCA - 22 AH - $74.95.

Power Source WP20-12I Sealed AGM - 12 Volt - 325 CCA - 20 AH
$84.95

Special - FREE SHIPPING on ... all orders that total $50 or more within the contiguous United States.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
EzyMount said:
The Odyssey in my LT went in at around 9-11K miles. Hard to remember that long ago, but it replaced the factory unit, when it died.

Same battery is still cranking hard at 37.6K miles, about 6 years later !
I'm with you, only I have about five years and 80K miles on mine.

Cheers,
-joel

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
It may well be worth while to explore what these batteries are designed and manufactured for. I'm no electrical storage guru but I do know a 'start' battery sees quite a different life than a battery designed for standby lighting or UPS use.

The spec sheet for the NP18-12BFR shows:
LIFE EXPECTANCY:
STANDBY USE 3 to 5 years
CYCLE USE (approx.):
100% depth of discharge 250 cycles
50% depth of discharge 550 cycles
30% depth of discharge 1200 cycles
http://www.batterystore.com/Yuasa/YuasaPDF/NP18-12.pdf

No idea what starting an LT does as far as discharge depth - but something to consider. For all I know those may well be really good numbers for LT duty!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Battery Problems suck

Boy Ron, battery probs must be a Tucson thing. Went out today and the LT wouldn't do the Vroom Vroom thing. Worked fine yesterday. A short charge/jump start got it running and a trip across town charged it up.

Interesting though, I have recently been dealing with a lot of engine type static noise in the stereo/helmet headset speakers that has been inconsistent. Seemed to be louder today when I would slow or stop and the RPM's lowered.

Wondering if the battery is going out and the charging system is working harder and making engine static noises?

Anybody know if this is possibly connected?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Excellent info on the batteries, but one must remember that Ron K Miller is frugal at best. :p :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Frugal ? Is that what you call it ? I just thought he was cheap and couldn't afford to paint his head light the same color as his bike ! :histerica

Ron, what year is your little Beamer LT ( Little Tyke) ? :D

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's 4AM..do you know where your LT is? I do..

Zotter said:
Sounds more like a loose|corroded connection in the charging system to me.
Thanks for the positive lead (pun intended). OK.. So it's 42 degrees in the garage, 28 degrees outside and I am up at 4am because of an irritating little cough. So what else is there to do but go check out the leads on the LT's battery. Tried to put the charger on it but it kept turning off due to full charge.

The negative bolt did require several partial turns with the wrench to snug. The positive lead has an "L" bracket on it and the top nut was tight. But.... when I put the box end on the positive bolt down below, it also required tightening.

Almost excited enough to go ride it to check it out. But if I were to wake the sleeping beauty to get the warm clothes...well that's another story for another time.

I'll try out come daylight. Good tip Zotter. Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm glad I did a search and found this thread. I'm going to have to replace my battery and was going to the BMW dealer in the morning, but I believe it will be worth a couple, three four days wait to order one.

Not riding since August (Well, a couple of times) has killed it. Oh well. It was four years old or so, probably time to replace it anyway.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts