BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring has sprung in the N Carolina mountains so it was time to ride the RT up from Florida. This was the first really long trip I have done on the bike since getting it last October. I was lucky and breezed through Atlanta only experiencing rain but not too bad. The roads and traffic on 85 north of Atlanta to Charlotte is horrible but I was still able to zip through with little fanfare. Overall it was a good trip, the only thing that bothered me was my knees. It seemed after about a 100 miles or so my knees would ache something bad. I would gut it out until I stopped for fuel then give myself about a 15 min break and walk around.
I covered 548 miles in right at 9 hrs. Not to shabby. Now it’s time to play in the mountains.
A couple of pictures from the ride.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Window

Speedometer Motor vehicle Car Trip computer Automotive design

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Glad you were able to get out on a great bike. You may look into lowering the foot pegs or raising the seat (if your height allows). I use the Knight Design pegs and adjusted the foot controls. A sheepskin or bead seat cover can also make a difference. Good luck with your efforts.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
That Atlanta traffic can be kinda narly... is that a word... yes, narly at times. Been through there headed to Charlotte and back on work too many times.

Really like the pic with the window dressing composition. Glad your trip is going well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That Atlanta traffic can be kinda narly... is that a word... yes, narly at times. Been through there headed to Charlotte and back on work too many times.

Really like the pic with the window dressing composition. Glad your trip is going well.
Ha that was my view from the window of a Mexican restaurant I stopped at about 10 miles from my destination. I was celebrating an uneventful trip with a meal of pollo con creama.
:)

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Ha that was my view from the window of a Mexican restaurant I stopped at about 10 miles from my destination. I was celebrating an uneventful trip with a meal of pollo con creama.
:)
A perfect way to celebrate!

·
Registered
5 Posts
RTMike thanks for building up my excitement. I'm heading to Charlotte from Pittsburgh next Friday. Meeting my brother there. He's giving me a 2 day tour of the mountains where he and his recently deceased wife loved to ride. Then back on Monday. I am using Google maps, no highway option, with Butler maps to lay out the route up and back. I did about 600 miles after getting my new to me 14 RT last fall. Some stiffness after a couple hours. I put the Corbin seat in the high position which was better but can't latch so seemed a little unsafe. Putting in the backrest which pushed you forward was better. I bought some highway pegs. I am hoping being able to change positions will be all that is needed. It already had floorboards and handlebar risers. Other than the occasional stops, it is a great way to tour.

·
Registered
K1200LT 2005
247 Posts
I stand up on the pegs to stretch (not in heavy traffic, as a rule.) WD40 on the knees no longer works. If I were 20 again, I could probably do nine hours w/o knees locking up, but I got the same issue as you. My first bike, 1970 Honda CB175 had a bench seat which allowed one to slide up and back. Possibly the fact that I was 20 made it seem the most comfortable seat ever. Sounds like a great ride!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I stand up on the pegs to stretch (not in heavy traffic, as a rule.) WD40 on the knees no longer works. If I were 20 again, I could probably do nine hours w/o knees locking up, but I got the same issue as you. My first bike, 1970 Honda CB175 had a bench seat which allowed one to slide up and back. Possibly the fact that I was 20 made it seem the most comfortable seat ever. Sounds like a great ride!
Funny what we could do when we were twenty! Reading your comment I was trying to decide if I thought I was invincible at twenty or just completely clueless.... may have been both! Hah, at twenty I was riding a 1964 HD Sportster that was "kick-start only". I think my knees are bad from kicking that thing everyday!

Reactions: djmellor and Fast1

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RTMike thanks for building up my excitement. I'm heading to Charlotte from Pittsburgh next Friday. Meeting my brother there. He's giving me a 2 day tour of the mountains where he and his recently deceased wife loved to ride. Then back on Monday. I am using Google maps, no highway option, with Butler maps to lay out the route up and back. I did about 600 miles after getting my new to me 14 RT last fall. Some stiffness after a couple hours. I put the Corbin seat in the high position which was better but can't latch so seemed a little unsafe. Putting in the backrest which pushed you forward was better. I bought some highway pegs. I am hoping being able to change positions will be all that is needed. It already had floorboards and handlebar risers. Other than the occasional stops, it is a great way to tour.
Riding around Blowing Rock, Boone and Lenoir you will not find a boring road. Maybe I will run into you two next weekend. Have fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
RTMike15 maybe we will see you. Sunday we are heading from Maggie Valley up to Hot Springs then Mountain City then down through Boone, Blowing Rock and Lenoir back to Gastonia where we start Saturday morning. I'll look for a Blue RT. The previous owner of my black RT added a lot of bling so if you avoid me I will understand.😎

·
Registered
3,784 Posts

Gnarly! You're welcome! LOL

Reactions: Remy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts