BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've put all of 250 miles on the 2006 K1200LT and I have some initial impressions. This is from the perspective of my other bike, a '98 GL1500 Goldwing with only 10,600 miles.

There is alot to like about the K1200LT and nothing I mention hasn't been mentioned a thousand times before here. I cannot tell you all something you already know. I am very impressed with the brakes. They are almost fantastic. The assist is great and you feel like you can stop on a dime. Haven't tested the ABS thankfully. The bike handles way better than a bike this size should. It defies physics I believe. I also think the bike looks great. Sure some traditional Harley guys may not like it but I dont like their bikes either! :) The wind protection with the stock shield all the way up(I'm 6'1") is decent. On the interstate running about 77 MPH I found it to be acceptably good. Whats not to like about all the gizmos such as Electro-hydraulic center stand, electric windscreen, heated grips and seats, alarm/central locking ect...

I'm going to flat out say it.....I LOVE the Honda flat six. There is nothing like it. The torque and smoothness is remarkable. It wasn't until I took a 200 mile ride today did I realize how much I love that engine. The BMW isnt bad but in comparison its as if there is a bucket of marbles in the BMW engine. While I found the BMW fairly comfortable, I think I am more comfortable on the Goldwing. I can flat foot no problem whereas with the Corbin seat on the BMW I cannot flat foot at all due to the seat. The Goldwing has significantly more luggage space. At least 30% more in my opinion(I'm talking GL1500).

Beginning to wonder if I should keep the Wing and sell the K1200LT instead.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I looked at the GW for a time it is a nice bike very comfortable, the engine is as you said is great. The thing to keep in mind with the LT is the need to run it at high rpm when you want performance as other have said run it like you stole it

I wanted something that I could tour comfortably with but at the same time get a little crazy with, there really is no comparison between the GW and the LT when it comes to handling at speed you try doing the same thing with a GW and you'll quickly find yourself in deep trouble on the other hand the GW handles far better at low speed then the LT.

I think for me the sports bike aspect is what keep me with the LT that and everyone on the road has a GW or Harley. I spent a little extra and bought a custom saddle and shocks for the LT and for me the bike is everything I want other then having a more powerful engine. I'll likely revisit the GW in a few years since the LT is no longer made and the current offering just isn't what I would call tour worthy by that time the need for crazy will have pasted.

Heck if you have both I would take advantage of it if that's a option.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Me? I couldn't dump the GL fast enough. Try as I might, I could not get used to the splay-legged riding position. Got really weary riding on my nuts all day. Not for me. Or two of my riding buddies, for that matter who also got rid of theirs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dragonwing said:
Me? I couldn't dump the GL fast enough. Try as I might, I could not get used to the splay-legged riding position. Got really weary riding on my nuts all day. Not for me. Or two of my riding buddies, for that matter who also got rid of theirs.
Are you basing your GL experience on your 1100 you used to own? have you tried a 1200,1500 or 1800?

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Keep the one that makes you smile!

We are all different and if one speaks to ya, that's the one for you. If there are just a few glitches that you don't like, there are probably solutions hear with a "search."

It took me about 30 minutes of riding to decide between the Honda and the BMW, and I never looked back. I put almost 50K on the LT in about 8 years and loved every minute.

There were a few things that I didn't like about the LT but was able to make the fixes. I started riding at 16 and never had a bike that I liked as well as the LT until the K1600 came out and I put about 1,000 miles on her. It did take around 5,000 miles on the LT till I was comfortable, but once that happen, I it was simply sweet..

One will speak to ya... Follow your gut.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As a floridian the GW is suited to long straight roads. Take your LT out on some twisties which are more prevalent in your area and goose it safety first and you will have your decision. For all it's bulk the LT is more like a sport tourer. I purchased mine in July an 03 and have enjoyed the ride. Have not been on a GW however I have great respect. I wish that Yamaha had continued the Venture Royale in its original configuration. The LT will grow on you give it some more miles, join a riding club if not a member already. The 06 was a transitional year with many subtle and significant changes over my 03. Please keep us posted as to your decision.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Although I don't have a GW, I do have an 01 Valkyrie and I also feel the seating on the Valk is far more comfortable than the LT ( I do have a custom seat on the Valk) and of course I love that flat 6 motor.
However I'm not all that sure that the LT won't out perform the LT. I am constantly amazed at how strong that 1200 is,even with over 103K and yes I love the amenities. Can't beat the electrical windshield, but my favorite thing about the bike is the fuel mileage. 32-34 with the Valk, my last 400 mile trip with the LT got me 56 mpg and while I usually run just over the speed limit I did hit 110 a couple of times. Next favorite thing is the handling on the road.
I think with the edition of a quality seat I might actually fall in love with the LT. For now, I'll ride em both and enjoy what each has to offer.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Craigmri said:
Are you basing your GL experience on your 1100 you used to own? have you tried a 1200,1500 or 1800?
No, the 1100 was an entirely different animal...and I actually kinda liked her. My not-so-great experience was on a 1500. Beautiful bike. But the flat engine configuration forced my legs sort of back under me to the point where I was really perched on the "family jewels" when I rode. I had to part ways with it. As I said, I had two riding buddies who traded in their HDs and bought really stunning 1800s. They both complained of the same problem, only more vocally than I. Both got rid of them within a year--one bought a Victory. The other bought a camper. The Victory owner calls his Vision "the best bike I ever owned" and he's not one to dish out complements.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Like Dan said, whatever floats your boat. No bike is perfect so the bike that annoys you the least is the one you will love. I have not ridden a lot of different models but I knew as soon as I test rode the LT that I had to have it. After 30,000 miles on my 07 LT I thoroughly have enjoyed it. If the bike makes you smile when you ride it you got the right one.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
gerhard said:
To me buy what makes you happy, that is why you have a bike not to make your neighbour, brother, friend..... happy.

Just my thought

Gerhard
I'll have to keep that response in mind the next time I'm asked "Why didn't you buy a Harley?"

·
Registered
431 Posts
I agree that the feet are forced back on the GL1500. I got one after a GL1200 with only 4 cylinders and that was the first thing I noticed. Only when you get used to the LT do you also realise that the GL1500 handled like a bendy bus. I've now had 5 bikes with electric screens since the GL and I now couldn't live without one.

·
IBR# 366
16,568 Posts
It sounds like you really need to take a K1600GTL out for a spin . . .

All of the things you love about the LT, in a lighter, better balanced package, with a Slant/6 motor that is so smooth and torquey that it simply beats anything Honda has to offer.

Not only does the K16's Slant/6 beat your GL1500 in torque (by an extra 25 Nm / 18.4 Ft-Lbs), but it also easily beats the latest GL1800 as well. And the Slant/6 also carries a very healthy 160 HP, which no other Tourer can touch.

I'm sure your local dealer would let you take one out for a spin so you can see for yourself . . . :bmw:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Only 250 miles??? Honda does have a great motor in the GW, I mean it goes like a bat out of hell in a straight line....I'm still using my GL1800 luggage in the LT, they fit fine..but that 1500 whoa! it's got some big boxes there....If riding in a straight line is your thing, stick with the GL! :cool:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Get the LT up to 5k-7k rpms and you'll discover a whole new bike that the GL cannot match. While you're at, ride 2-up that way!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its really a moot point now. Just sold my Wing. Was a '98 GL1500 that a bought for $6,000, installed tires, cleaned the carbs and detailed it out and sold for $8,849. People love Goldwings!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Craigmri said:
Its really a moot point now. Just sold my Wing. Was a '98 GL1500 that a bought for $6,000, installed tires, cleaned the carbs and detailed it out and sold for $8,849. People love Goldwings!
You can't beat a deal like that, at least not as the seller. :clapping: I'm curious how many miles on your GW when it sold?
I'm surprised you're have issues being 6'1" trying to place your feet flatly on the ground. That custom seat must really have a lot of fluff in it. ;)
I'm 5'8", but I am using a stock seat on a '99.

So, are we to assume you like the LT better than you originally thought, or did the chance to make a quick profit sway you? :confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bikerj said:
You can't beat a deal like that, at least not as the seller. :clapping: I'm curious how many miles on your GW when it sold?
I'm surprised you're have issues being 6'1" trying to place your feet flatly on the ground. That custom seat must really have a lot of fluff in it. ;)
I'm 5'8", but I am using a stock seat on a '99.

So, are we to assume you like the LT better than you originally thought, or did the chance to make a quick profit sway you? :confused:
Jeff, the Goldwing had only 10,644 miles if you can believe it? Once a serious buyer was involved and a near "full asking price" offer was made I decided to part with it when I factored the original decision to buy the BMW. I want to give the LT a chance to grow on me. If it isnt for me I'll sell it and try something else. This is why I wont buy new bikes. If you buy good low mileage bikes at reasonable prices you can almost ride for free.

As for being flat-footed, the stock seat was easy to flat-foot but the $1600 complete corbin setup(that came with the bike) makes this difficult even at 6'1". Once underway the Corbin is extremely comfortable but at a stop, not-so-much.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Craigmri said:
...As for being flat-footed, the stock seat was easy to flat-foot but the $1600 complete corbin setup(that came with the bike) makes this difficult even at 6'1". Once underway the Corbin is extremely comfortable but at a stop, not-so-much.
Okay. that makes sense. To fix your problem, you just need to remove that $1600 stuffed into the seat, and then you'll be able to plant your feet on the ground. :rotf:
Hopefully, you're derrière will appreciate it. ;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts