BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year when riding my Saddle Sore 1000, my Montana 600 froze up after my first route change. I turned it off and rebooted it but it was still frozen. I pulled the battery and it started back up but I could not restart the route. Luckily, I had my routes listed on my tank bag and finished my SS1000 in time. I could get the map to work but the routes were unusable.
This past weekend I was running a rally from Pa to Vermont, Maine and back. After I hit my first waypoint in Burlington, Vermont the damn unit froze again. I pulled the battery and rebooted, but the screen was frozen. I could not even get the map top work. Since I lost access to my waypoints, all I could do is go home.

I need a recommendation for a reliable unit I can put on my beloved R1200RT. I have so many places yet to see.

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am narrowing my search requirements.

To replace my Montana 600, I need a Garmin but without all the bells and whistles. I don't need the audio. I am looking for a unit that is very reliable in routing and waypoints. The Montana has left me without any GPS on two rides and this past weekend I had to end a rally ride because I lost all waypoints and the map was frozen.

Your thoughts please.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I am narrowing my search requirements.

To replace my Montana 600, I need a Garmin but without all the bells and whistles. I don't need the audio. I am looking for a unit that is very reliable in routing and waypoints. The Montana has left me without any GPS on two rides and this past weekend I had to end a rally ride because I lost all waypoints and the map was frozen.

Your thoughts please.
So what are your needs other than you don't need voice. Do you use basecamp, google maps something else? Does it have to be new?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already have Basecamp on my laptop but it did not coordinate well with my Montana. Not all the waypoints would transfer.

I am so used to programing routes and waypoints on the unit that I just use Basecamp to check for best routes for timing.

I would prefer new even though the cost is high. I would consider a gentle used unit.

Plan on finishing my East Coast rally I had to abandon and next year do the 50 C to C. Already have my SS 1000.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My set up - 2013 BMW R1200RT, Montana 600 in their AMPS Rugged Mount. Last year I was doing my first Saddle Sore 1000 and about six turns into the run I was entering the Pa Turnpike when the GPS froze up. The marker and the map froze. I pulled over and tried to reboot but it would not even shut down. I pulled the unit from the mount and pulled the battery. On reboot it seemed ok but once I started the route option, the unit would freeze again. I pulled the battery again and used the map but kept off the routing. Since I had the total route typed and in my tank bag, I kept on going and finished the SS1000 in 20 hours. Long day but a blast. (using a Russell Day Long and I could have done another 1000 mi)
I contacted Garmin and they said that I needed a software update. I did that but did not do any new routes until about two months ago.
I was starting my north route of the Whispering Giants rally. Going from Pa to Burlington, Vt, my Montana 600 froze up again about an hour from Burlington. I did the battery trick again but even the map would not come back. Since I lost my waypoints, I had to quite the rally and go home.
I contacted Garmin and, even though my unit was out of warranty, they sent me a replacement. I made sure the new (refurbished) unit had the newest software, a microSD chip installed. Before I restarted my rally, I wrote a short route that would take about three hours and had almost 40 road changes. It was known roads so that no matter what happened, I could get home.
About half way through, the unit froze up just like my first unit.
I contacted Garmin again and they had no solution except they sent me a new Rugged Mount. They thought I was getting interrupted power to the unit which would cause a fault in the program.
Since I never had any issues with the map, compass or going to a single waypoint, I doubt their conclusion. I only had problems with routing shutting down the unit.

Anyone every hear of this issue and how I should deal with it?

Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts