BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the phone call yesterday morning at 10:14 and was told something that made me cry. My long time friend and riding partner was killed in a one vehicle accident.
My friend, Merlyn Hartman was ridding back from a trip to the Arctic Circle and taking a slow ride back home. He was in Alberta, Canada and on a highway that had ruts in it. On a curve, he hit the foot-peg against one of the ruts and it caught the bike and sent it sliding. Merlyn was killed on impact with a broken neck. The lady behind him stopped to help but there was no pulse.
Those of you in the Texas area might remember him since we rode together to a few RTE's. He was a gentleman with good manners and rode a red Gold Wing, and was a MSF instructor and rider coach. Safety was always very important to him so I know he was cautious but just had an accident.
I will miss riding with him and the time we spent together. It's funny how someone who is in their 70's can be a close friend with someone 25+ years younger then himself but we were good friends.
RIP Merlyn...

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
Michael I am so sorry to hear this. Merlyn was a very nice person & I always loved the chats we had over the last 5 years.
Sammie & I will keep Merlyn, his family plus you & Rhonda in our prayers. If you just need to talk or If We can help in any way you have my Number. :(

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
Sad news indeed, Michael. I'm glad you were blessed to be Merlyn's friend and riding partner. I met Merlyn twice - the last time at Trattoria Lisina, I believe. As with many of our RTEs, parking lot time is usually at a minimum with folks who have ridden a fair distance - Merlyn definitely made the most of that chat time and I felt fortunate to be included in the conversation. Allow the grieving to take time, Michael - if there is anything anyone of us can do, you need only ask.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Dam I hate to hear this Bones......God speed Merlyn Hartman.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Bones really sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers for you all and the family.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Wow,what a shock! I'm so sorry. I'll cherish my memories of chatting with Merlyn over lunch. RIP Merlyn, prayers going out for his family & friends (esp. you & Rhonda). :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.