BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd through this out there. I've watched Curtis' video several times, and came up with this idea for securing and measuring my FD. Maybe it'll help someone else. Just a couple of cheap pieces of aluminium, the angle piece screwed to the wall, the flat stock bolted to the dial mic, then secured to the angle. I also put a carriage bolt though my bench, then pinch bolted the FD housing to that to make it more secure.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Nice setup.

I do think that the dial indicator works best when mounted directly on the FD (FP?) housing to eliminate extraneous movement. But if you get nice crisp repeatable measurements, that's all it takes.

Your setup reminds me of saddleman's, who sorta sets the standard for professional wrenching around here, him being a NASCAR engine builder 'n all.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=440261&postcount=13

Oh, my video.... it's full of mistakes and misinformation. Big DISCLAIMER. I keep saying I'll produce a corrected version, but haven't made much progress.

Now that you have a neat, specalized rig for rebuilding these, I'm gonna refer FP rebuild inquiries to you. :)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seriously, I tried to look at saddleman's photos, but when I clicked on them, they came in huge and sometimes blurry. Is that something I'm doing wrong? Or is there a specific size that we should be using when we take and post photos?
Anyone?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
fpmlt said:
Seriously, I tried to look at saddleman's photos, but when I clicked on them, they came in huge and sometimes blurry. Is that something I'm doing wrong? Or is there a specific size that we should be using when we take and post photos?
Anyone?
Click on a photo an wait for your 'puter to process. On my 'puter it will eventually downsize into a crisp high res pic. YMMV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts