BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No not that, but my first time working on the LT.

Bought my bike back in Sept and have put about 4500 miles on it so I figured I would jump in and see what this is all about. When I drained the oil it looked awfully dark to me like it had been in there over 4500 miles. When I bought from a dealer in Va. they said all fluids had been changed, like I said looked old to me.
I decided to change Tranny and Final Drive, so after watching Paul Sayegh's video again I proceeded to change these fluids, I must say they looked a lot better than the engine oil..No big deal.
Well by the time I finished these projects figured I would treat myself to some adult beverages....long story short I got to thinking did I fill it to the threads on the tranny and rear end, did I tighten every thing, so Sunday morning before I took it out for a ride I opened both compartments to make sure all was OK....better to be sure

While I had the fairings off figured I would look and see why my PIAA lights are not working. The pics below are part of the wiring harness and I originally thought it was just a plug but after doing some research it a relay, correct? I know that we have a coil and we have switch legs, I can't find anything about this. I have 12vdc coming in but nothing leaving.
Well I do commercial HVAC and I had rather work on 460volts than work on a car/cycle wiring.....gets me all the time.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You betcha Frank. What you have there ids a genuine lighting relay. Google bosch relay and you will have a plethora of information telling you what each of the terminals are.

Easier or at least safer to work on this 12VDC stuff than the 3 phse stuff that will knock your d**k stiff if you get across it.

Good job on the maintenance. Normal for the engine oil to be seriously black by the time the 6000 mile change is due. Black means the gunky stuff is suspended in the oil which is a good thing!

Loren

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Call PIA. The nice people who answer the phone are clueless about relays but will cheerfully tell you it has a life time warranty, so they will mail a new one to you.

making sure the relay is the culprit should be easy for you. It could just be the green oxidation on one of the pins indicates the socket might have the same condition; could be that the green crap disrupted the electrical connection?

Best
Bob

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok....I took a jumper wire, after all what's a good service tech with out one.....and jumped across the 2 copper looking terminals and the lights came on.

took my multi meter and read the other 2 terminals which I would assume is the coil and I read like 98 ohms......which in AC land, I would say the coil is bad.

Loren did not see this particular relay....can I buy a replacement or is this been antiquated?

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
after further review not getting 12vdc to the coil.....need to figure out where that is pulled from....

looks like next Saturday is planned.

·
Registered
114 Posts
On mine there was an extra ring terminal/wire for my lights that wasn't bolted onto the positive battery post. Then my lights worked! LOL

Sometimes relays go bad but unusual.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You can take your relay down to NAPA and cross reference for replacement. You can also buy these from WW GRAINGER if you have one close. Any relay with comparable voltage and amperage will work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts