BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not only am i a new k1200lt owner but also new to biking. i am glad to read that i am not the only one having problems at low speed - but i hope to overcome that obstacle with more practice. my first question will be about the multi function display: i assume that the vertical bar on the right is for temperature but i am not certain what the small "mark" about half way up is for. i could not find out anything in my manuals.

thanks for the help and support and apologies if i posted to the wrong thread

jx

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Welcome aboard!
I suspect you are talking about an 05 or newer LT.
The bar on the right is indeed the temp, and the mark in the middle is... the middle or halfway point. You will see the temp go way up, especially in Summer, until the cooling fans (yes, 2 of them) will come on and you will observe the temp go down quickly. This is normal behavior!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Congrats on your new LT! What year did you get? The right bar does represent the temp, yes.

Out of curiosity how tall are you? I've never had issues with the low speed handling, but I have been riding since a young age and can easily plant my feet being 6'2".

If you're new to riding then you'll find there is a learning curve to these bigger bikes, just get out and ride a lot. You'll find that at slow speeds keeping that rear break depressed while giving it some slight throttle will help you with handling.

Things to look out for: Make sure the mirrors are tethered because they can easily come off by accident. Use caution when trying to move the bike around when turned off. I recommend actually getting on the bike so that you have more control over it. A lot of people who have dropped it were trying to push it while not sitting on it.

Anyway, great bike! Cheers ~darren

·
Registered
805 Posts
John! Welcome, both to the LT (I'm sure you two have been introduced) and to this asylum (in the old sense of the word, a place of safety and help). I noticed you are in Ledyard, CT. Just a hop from me, I'm in Hamden. There is a great group of LTers in CT. Make sure to introduce yourself on the NorthEast forum (down under Regional Forums), and keep an eye out there for tech sessions, group rides (there's one forming up now for a 2 day run in Vermont June 23-24), and other happinesses. Drop me a PM if you want to get together to ride, wrench, have coffee, or just sit and admire the LTs. Ride safe.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome to bikes and to the LT forum.

I hope you will have as much fun on the LT as I have been having. Unlike you I have had several bikes prior to the beemer and it is by far the best of the lot, so congratulations on a good choice!!!

You will learn in time to handle her at low speeds and do not fear dropping her as she can more than take it as will be shown by the many on here who have layed her down. remember when slow and stopping do not brake with the bars anywhere but straight, certainly until you have a fair bit of time on her. Also look up and not down at the front wheel when going slow. Above 10 you will not have any trouble at all

Enjoy the ride and welcome to the best LT forum going.

Mike

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
John, If you're new to biking and the LT is your first bike, then you have taken on a mighty BIG challenge. Not one that can't be overcome , but it is going to take lots and lots of slow speed practice.

Here's how I would start.
  • find yourself a large open parking lot
  • practice slow speed stops keeping your front wheel straight
  • practice slow speed u-turns
  • get some tennis balls and cut them in half and place them about every 12 feet then practice weaving through them as slow as you can
  • also take the LT up to 35 miles per hour or so and then stand on the brakes and make the ABS kick in so you know what it feels like so you're not surprised the first time they kick in
  • after you've put about 1000 miles on the bike, take an Motorcycle Safety Foundation Experienced Rider Course, you'll learn a lot about slow speed riding
  • if it were me, I would also not ride two up until you have conquered the slow speed jitters
Once you're comfortable, you're gonna love your LT. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and to LT ownership. They are both one heck of a ride so BUCKLE UP!!! :)

Gee...seems like just yesterday when I made my first post! :D :D :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all

my 2007 was a surprise gift and i won't let my wife get on back until i have mastered one up. and i do have a parking lot nearby where i have been riding most of the time so far. thanks again and now i will look into those mirror tie downs.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
jx41138 said:
my 2007 was a surprise gift and i won't let my wife get on back until i have mastered one up.
That is the wisest thing you can do!!! You seem to be on the right track.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts