BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello vets and fellow riders, as some of you might know that, my LT is up for sale. I would like for the next owner to get a bike that’s running smooth and have better experience buying it, than my experience as it was horrible.

That said I been watching lots of Illinois Motorad videos and reading here and decided to do an oil change, even though the shop said they did one but, there’s no way in 1200 miles of riding, oil can be that low and dirty. My bike is leveled on the center stand and the sight glass have dirty oil below half. I haven’t ride it for two days and I ordered this oil & filter from Napa, delivered for $45.

once they arrive I’ll go to the shop where I work a do an oil change.

is this oil of choice is adequate enough to use in the K12LT? 5 quarts of 20W50 conventional Napa oil, and Napa Gold 1348 oil filter.

is it okay to ride the bike 21 miles and then do the oil oil change, since all my tools is at the shop or should I top it off first and that’s why I got 5quarts as opposed to 3.75-4 Quarts.

I appreciate all the advise and inputs in advance. 🍻

Font Camera Camera lens Screenshot Material property

Reactions: CaliCruiser

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,510 Posts
The fresh oil in an LT will go black in one day of riding as it has to do with the trapped oil in the rocker cover. This does not mean it is dirty. The only time I can see "clean" oil is when I fill it from an oil change. Don't know about Napa Gold - look as the MSDS for how much zinc is in it. I do know that Castrol 20W 50 has enough zinc for the LT's solid lifters.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Kirk Johnson said in an old post that he adds in some Valvoline VR1 to his regular dino oil for it's zinc content.

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT, 2003 K1200LT Hannigan Conversion Trike
118 Posts
Hello vets and fellow riders, as some of you might know that, my LT is up for sale. I would like for the next owner to get a bike that’s running smooth and have better experience buying it, than my experience as it was horrible.

That said I been watching lots of Illinois Motorad videos and reading here and decided to do an oil change, even though the shop said they did one but, there’s no way in 1200 miles of riding, oil can be that low and dirty. My bike is leveled on the center stand and the sight glass have dirty oil below half. I haven’t ride it for two days and I ordered this oil & filter from Napa, delivered for $45.

is this oil of choice is adequate enough to use in the K12LT? 5 quarts of 20W50 conventional Napa oil, and Napa Gold 1348 oil filter.

is it okay to ride the bike 21 miles and then do the oil oil change, since all my tools is at the shop or should I top it off first and that’s why I got 5quarts as opposed to 3.75-4 Quarts.

View attachment 179702
I have been using that same filter on my LT for the last 50K+ miles with no issues. I also run the Valvoline VR1 oil with it. I change my oil at 5K intervals and it is always a little dark after it runs for a while. Some old oil is always coating the engine parts and some pooling, but not enough tho contaminate the fresh oil to any extent.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It won’t hurt to change the oil though considering the level is low. Im trying to confirm the oil weight is correct?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, 20W50 is the standard for normal climates.
Thank you sir for your input, I opted out free delivery from Napa vs $10 for 2 hours delivery. Should be here today. And do it tomorrow

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
Be extra careful to remove the large round washer on the bottom cover and extra careful when you tighten back the three small screws that hold it in place. They should just be finger tight. They are made of a soft metal and can eaisly snap. Many have replaced theirs with stronger screws.

·
Registered
312 Posts

View attachment 179702
I would NOT ride the bike 20 miles on low oil. Top it off before you go. It is not going to kill the bike but why risking doing even minor damage to the engine?

·
Premium Member
8,075 Posts
I would NOT ride the bike 20 miles on low oil. Top it off before you go. It is not going to kill the bike but why risking doing even minor damage to the engine?
If the oil level is in the window, it isn’t low and riding will not cause any engine damage minor or otherwise.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,510 Posts
Yeah the torque on those is 10 Nm which is just a hair above finger tight and the yield specs for the stock screws is 12 Nm.

• Helpful
Reactions: CaliCruiser

·
Premium Member
8,075 Posts
Yeah the torque on those is 10 Nm which is just a hair above finger tight and the yield specs for the stock screws is 12 Nm.
I generally use 80 lb-in which is just a tick over 9 Nm. I almost always drop back 10% or so on most BMW torque specs as they generally seem to push them to the limit compared to many other manufacturers. I’ve done probably 20 oil changes now and have never had one of these cover bolts break, strip or come loose.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your input, I did the oil change on Wednesday using the parts mentioned above, i only dropped the 3 screws for the filter door and left the drain plug alone, since I was tight on time and didn’t have a chance to get a washer or the rubber gasket for the oil filter door/cap.

I used an oil filter cup that’s was laying around in the shop to unscrew the filter and it was dead on like a glove fit. it had an mahle filter in a silver color and I cleaned the door with brake fluid and clean that grove were the gasket sit, with a clean shop towl and a pick and sure enough, there was some debris trapped in there that could cause a leak.

wiped the gasket real well then lubed it with a touch of oil and snugged the oil filter just good enough and the bolts I noticed they were really light so just tight enough with hand. Started it and let it run and topped off and guys!!!

bike runs a lot smoother and sounds a lot quieter and I’m starting to enjoy it more . Still afraid to ride it through the rain or winter weather in Dallas. So it’s still up in the classified but the longer I keep it, the more I enjoy it and get attached to.

I just have to have a car beside the K12LT and I refuse to pay this insane car prices that the car market is currently at. So will see how that goes.

I would like to thank you all for the great info you provide and replies to my questions.

ride safe and shiny side up ✌

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
The more I ride mine, the more I love it!
I think it works that way.
I need to change all the fluids again since I put on 10k since the middle of April.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts

View attachment 179702
Buy the BMW oil, like JZ said that NAPA oil may not be the correct oil.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buy the BMW oil, like JZ said that NAPA oil may not be the correct oil.
Kirk from Illinois bmw motorAD uses Napa and that’s why I got it, I changed oil and th Ebike is running great with the NAPA oil and filter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cleaned the door with brake fluid and clean that grove were the gasket sit

Brake fluid to clean? :unsure:
Brake cleaner, it’s a can of spray that we use at the shop to clean brake parts, I’m sure I just used the wrong term

1 - 18 of 18 Posts