BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've now done my first 1000miles on the RT and loving it....that is except one thing....my derriere is finding the standard low seat to be somewhat harder than my last bike :(
So it's a replacement seat of some sort, or more natural padding on me :rotf:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
mark-t said:
Well I've now done my first 1000miles on the RT and loving it....that is except one thing....my derriere is finding the standard low seat to be somewhat harder than my last bike :(
So it's a replacement seat of some sort, or more natural padding on me :rotf:
Yeah, it's one area most motorcycle manufacturers skimp on. the problem is that there is a lot of variation with people and what works for one doesn't work for another.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed here... about 1200 miles on the same low seat but no trouble so far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently picked up a new 2011 at South Sound BMW in Washington. Drove it that day to Rich's Custom Seats for a complete driver and passenger seat rebuild. The difference is astonishing. I've resisted installing custom seats for years, but after having one for 5000 miles now, I'll never have another bike without one. Worth every penny that I spent.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
You guys and your bony butts. I had to get a harder seat for my 2010. A touratech did the trick. All is well in the southern latitudes. :rotf:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Captdf said:
I recently picked up a new 2011 at South Sound BMW in Washington. Drove it that day to Rich's Custom Seats for a complete driver and passenger seat rebuild. The difference is astonishing. I've resisted installing custom seats for years, but after having one for 5000 miles now, I'll never have another bike without one. Worth every penny that I spent.
Can you post a photo?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
OU812 said:
Some of us done have a ass..... :D
Please DON'T post a photo of this one!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have only owned my RT since October of last year and all my riding has been commuting for an hour or less. For that, the bike is fine. On my old GS and GSA, that was about the limit. Rides that went more than an hour quickly went down hill until I bought a beaded seat cover. That $20 accessory was the best thing I ever used. I could ride for hours with that under me.

Yesterday, I had more seat time due to the need to run some longer distance errands. I think I had about 2.5 hours total on the RT, including a stretch of 1.5 hours of solid riding. I am happy to report that the seat was just as comfortable at that point as it was when I started. Maybe it will be bad on longer rides but for now, I'm happy with the stock seat.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My longest was 750 miles straight from Seattle to Central California. I learned long ago that the best prevention for numbnuts is to get off and walk around about once an hour (funny how rest stops on the interstates are spaced at about 60-75 miles). That, and wearing padded bicycle shorts under the armor, make the stock seat just fine for me even for longer rides. My regular commute is about 1-1/2 hours each way and I don't have any discomfort with the stock seat, even with street clothes under the armor.

JayJay

·
Registered
175 Posts
JayJay said:
{snip}...the best prevention for numbnuts is to get off and walk around about once an hour...{snip}
+1

Not only is this refreshing for the "southern latitudes", but it keeps one's mind rested and alert. And, as we head into warmer weather north of the equator, it provides an opportunity to rehydrate. I usually plan a break about every 1.5 hours or so, depending on the roadside opportunities.

This doesn't fit everyones' riding preferences, however, but regular breaks a some interval can be beneficial to one's mind and body. Lots written about this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I decided to order the Comfort seat, strange that shortly after that the Comfort Seat thread came back to life again ;)
My first good run out on Monday with the new seat and it's more comfortable for me than the stock low seat, so fingers crossed :) Now roll on the Holidays :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
beech said:
You guys and your bony butts. I had to get a harder seat for my 2010. A touratech did the trick. All is well in the southern latitudes. :rotf:
Hey Beech----Me too----Corbin on the Road King and soon to be on the RT. Tends to make me sit properly as well.
Dave :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts