BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More correctly - my right shoe. I finally connected the dots - the few times I smelled fuel when getting into my office: tracked it down to the right shoe and to the fact that I rode the bike to work.
That's the side of the filler. I can't see any leaks; all I see is the vent tube by the filler. I hope I'm not leaking fuel!
Before you ask - nope, didn't stop for gas either time that this happened. Also, it currently has a quarter tank or so - not nearly full.
Stumperized... :confused:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Fuel tank quick disconnects are starting to leak.
Pull right side upper fairing & you can see them. It's a tight fit but they can be changed without pulling anything else.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Yup.. I bet you find some "tan residue" from the evaporating fuel. It leaks under pressure.. and vibration makes it fun... then you vaporize it going down the road... voilla!

Get metal QD's

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thank BMW for putting the cheap disconnects on the fuel line!
Everyone runs into this problem...everyone! (assuming they have the plastic disconnects)

If you want to go with the expensive route and put disconnects on them, check out http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=47556

The one's at Home Depot are not quick disconnects, just connectors. The QD's are not necessary, but nice to have.

Let us know if u need any more help w this!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, thanks guys. Good excuse for my first ever tupperware removal. Guess I also better quit lighting up a smoke whilst cruising... :eek:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, finally popped my tupperware-removal cherry and partially disrobed the beast. It's a 2003 - are the QDs still plastic for '03? They look like metal to me. Says 'CDC" on them.

In any case - ran the bike, rev'd it, idled it, long enough for the fan to kick in.
Nothing. No smell, no drip, no spray.

Tracing through the inside dust, it almost seems to come from the fuel filler area up top. I just blundered across another post that suggests the gas-cap seal as a possible culprit.
I'm also thinking the overflow tube - even though I don't ride aggresively, I do have some serious bumps on the way to work. :confused:

Just had another look - open mind once I looked past the QD's.
Looks like a fair bit of leaking around the...uhm...Immersion Tube Sensor. That's the big round metal cap, 6 allen-screws, and a wire connector.
If that's the culprit and I remove the unit to replace that gasket (if such is possible) the damn thing needs to be re-calibrated. GAH!!!
(Pic stolen from a different Beemer, but looks very simmilar)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Didn't recalibrate mine. It read the same when I put it back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts