BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GS or RT. Typical dealer bs?

He also said the EPA won't allow air cooled engines in the near future so who knows what he's smoking. The water cooled thing came from a guy that seemed like he heard is from someone pretty high up.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
There is partial truth to his explanation.
The European emissions get stricter as time goes on. I believe they are up to Euro 5 emissions category. It does not mean that all vehicles must comply to Euro 5.
I read somewhere that motorcycles and scooters have to comply with Euro 3 as of the time I read the articles. It is possible that Euro 4 or Euro 5 might be mandated for Europe in the near future. It seems that air cooled engines are harder to maintain stricter emissions and maintain the same or improve on its performance. Water cooled engines are better managed in this respect than air cooled engines. I hate to see the air cooled Boxer engine go but we are all victims of our own doing. If you noticed all two stroke scooters and motorcycles for consumer use are no longer available. I have a scooter that is a four stroke water cooled engine. It states that it is Euro 3 compliant but Euro 3 requires a closed loop system. Mine is not. It has no O2 sensor. Some how it is classified as such. So exceptions are allowed.
So I know you must be saying what does Europe and USA have to do with each other? Well the two work together so they can sell each others products in different continents. BMW and many European manufacturers must comply with their emissions agency so we all adapt to them worldwide. There are exceptions of course. I am sure politics plays a big part as well. The 2013 RT boxer engine will be air cooled. I was told this by my dealer. I heard the same rumor and this is why I purchased a 2012 RT before they would be gone. But I could have waited another year. Now that I have my RT I wish I bought one sooner.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I too heard the other day the R1200GS 2013 will not be the anticipated water cooled version. (RT was never in question...was to maintain it's air/oil cooled status for now, the GS being first). Certainly don't want that punky K1600 water pump that leaks like a sieve. It will come. Machine tolerances can be closer on a water cooled engine and it warms up faster. Easier to control emissions and make more power.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I heard at a technical session at the dealer in Jessup, MD, from the guy whose name is on the dealership, that the move to the water cooled boxer was driven by emissions standards but at the time he did not know when the water cooled boxer would arrive but the days of the oil/air cooled boxer were coming to a close.

All fears aside I think it is going to be great engine once it arrives and BMW has had a few years to work out the earlier production run issues. There is a lot of carry over technology, even if it is just in terms of lessons learned, from the current engine that can be incorporated into the new engine. I understand people do not want to let the oil/air platform go but a liquid cooled boxer is better than having no boxer at all.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Yes liquid cooled are coming to the RT soon. But you have to remember that a water cooled engine is more maintenance. Water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, fan, additional electrical wiring and most have a wet type clutch. This adds up to more maintenance costs and a heavier bike. You also have to use Motorcycle oil with a wet clutch. That is an additional expense in itself. I am not doubting that BMW will make a fine machine but the costs and maintenance associated with a water cooled versus an air cooled engine is much higher. Not to mention that if you develop a leak or a thermostat failure you are kind of stuck on the side of the road. If an air cooled gets hot you can always shut it down and continue when it cools down or go faster to increase the ram air across the cooler and engine. The Boxer engine is such a wonderful engine too bad it must eventually go in the same manner as the two stroke air cooled motorcycles and Vespa scooters.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I agree that a water cooled engine means more maintenance, but a wet clutch is unrelated to the cooling strategy.
BMW already produced water cooled bikes with dry clutches in their 1980's K-bikes, so they know how to do this :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.