BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Christmas Eve

Today started out fairly normal for me....awakened at 4:45 AM to get ready for work. All
the morning preparations completed, I hopped on the trusty LT for my morning ride in.
Gerbings on.... and a crisp 39 degrees made for a nice ride with little to no traffic due to
the holiday.

I arrive at my favorite coffee shop for my morning cup and notice that the bike sure
seems to be leaning a bit more than normal on the side stand. Thinking not much of it, I
depart for work. I am a helicopter pilot for a local hospital. My daily routine requires
me to stop at the helipad and preflight prior to going on into the office several blocks
away. While at the helipad, I park on the sidewalk on an incline temporarily since
parking is at a premium here.

After my preflight, I get back on the LT and raise the side stand.....the side stand falls
off! Only hanging from the switch wiring.

There I sit...I can not get off the bike without dropping it.....I am on the side of a
hill blocking the exit to the parking lot. Since the switch moved...the engine will not start.

I waved down an employee that was leaving work and had her call security for me.
Security arrived with 5 guys that held the bike up so that I could get off and reposition it on a barely acceptable spot to put it on the center stand.

Anyone that has removed the center stand knows that the retaining bolt is a special bolt
with 2 different sizes of thread....one to retain the stand and the other that holds the
switch in place. The retaining bolt had broken in the threads of the large section.

My problem now is finding a bolt on Friday...Christmas Eve....250 miles from my dealer

This is where I get to tell you all the good things.

One of the medics on the helicopter owns a 99 LT that has been down for a while for a
rear brake issue. He lives 40 miles from here.

This gentleman , Craig Mattingly, offers to let me use the bolt from his 99 until I can
get a replacement.... Not only that, he drives it to me and helps me install it. Of
course while we are in the middle of the install I get paged for a flight and have to
leave. He completes the install and moves my LT to the office for me. Sitting where it
had been, it would have most likely gotten blown over with helicopters coming in and out.

I have 2 sets of new hardware on order for our bikes and all is well. I am an everyday
rider and can just imagine how much worse this could be....Like last week when I made a
SS1000 ride with a friend out to Pecos and back.

If you are riding a high mileage LT, you might consider replacing the hardware on your
next side stand lube job. I am at 134K on this LT.

Isn't it great to have the people we have around us when we are in need?

Merry Christmas everyone!

Ron

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Sorry to hear about the misfortune. But the help you received is what makes us believe there are still good people out there. They seem to fewer and fewer but they are there. I have 193 on mine and did replace the hardware for the center stand but not the sidestand, I will put that on the list. Have a great Christmas.

Zeke

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ron,
Glad to hear your story had a happy ending. There are a few of us out here that still know what good friend means, and it just so happens that a lot of us ride BMW's. Watch out for the reindeer during your flights today :)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Glad it ended well for you. Now enjoy the holiday.

·
Registered
349 Posts
250 miles from my dealer
So two hours in your helicopter? Nobody would notice four extra flight hours... And then you could say you have a $3000 bolt on your bike. Or more, depending on what you fly.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
How refreshing to know there are folks like your friend that came to help, especially on Christmas Eve. Glad you got it fixed and running again. I can just imagine how it must have felt, not being able to dismount.

Have a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Heart warming story, make sure you buy your buddy a couple of beers. You guys in the US look out for each other, bloody great!

Have a great Christmas, and a Happy New Year.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Hmmmmm - can you say EHCS? Knowing you, that'd be a snap to install. Might have to upgrade to Ohlins or Wilburs tho, if you haven't already. Maybe we could do a two-fer?!!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Great story, and a great outcome. Thanks for sharing it with us.

"God bless us... everyone!"

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Never even thought to check the bolt. It does support a lot of weight so a check is definitely in order.

You be careful in those helicopter thingeys. Unlike fixed wing aircraft God made helicopters inherently unstable. I don't trust 'em myself.

Be safe!

Loren

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Never even thought to check the bolt. It does support a lot of weight so a check is definitely in order.

You be careful in those helicopter thingeys. Unlike fixed wing aircraft God made helicopters inherently unstable. I don't trust 'em myself.

Be safe!

Loren
Hey Loren,

Ask Ron what the Jesus bolt is on a helicopter.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
"oh Jesus "

1 - 13 of 13 Posts