BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going on a camping trip with bike in july.

Wife said I would have to pull the cd changer for more room..noway!

Anyways I had a pair of those brackets that go from a garage door to the track for the opener.
Can you believe the 4 holes under the trunk lined up with the holes in those brackets..they did..lol.

So I made a rack..but she said it didn't stick out far enough :rolleyes: so I extend it some more.
I have about 20 bucks in it.
I put a 40 lb bag of salt on it and hit the road and it held up fine.
Prolly just use it for sleeping bags anyhow but I could add some support brackets and run them down to either side of the plate.

Anybody else done anything like this?
I did have to get longer bolts.
And I painted it with that plastic coat paint that I covered up the banged up chrome covers on the bags.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
My first thought was eegad! way up there! and way out there!!
But the weight of a couple sleepin bag had not ought to be too bad.
Good luck and happy camping.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
phydough said:
My first thought was eegad! way up there! and way out there!!
But the weight of a couple sleepin bag had not ought to be too bad.
Good luck and happy camping.
Yeah I know..but I really think the sleeping bags will be fine.
I put a cooler with a 12 pack and ice on it,and it also rode fine!
Those garage door brackets are 1/4" thick.
I did have a thought of moving the trunk back on those brackets and storing stuff between the trunk and the passenger.
Not sure if the wires would reach though.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The wires will most definitely not reach, and please do not put the trunk back there. First good bump in the road and your front wheel will want to come up. That's in my humble opinion. And the LT is a touring bike not a wagon.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tconnell said:
The wires will most definitely not reach, and please do not put the trunk back there. First good bump in the road and your front wheel will want to come up. That's in my humble opinion. And the LT is a touring bike not a wagon.
I doubt it would wheelie..didn't with the 40lb bag of salt!
You have any idea of how much weight is forward,,plus the driver and passenger are ahead of the rear axle.
I really could not feel much diff,if any.
It's something I will use once or twice a season maybe.
I have the rv for most of my camping ..which I'm looking for the best way to haul the beemer behind.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't necessarily care for the "looks", but when I put a loaded bag up on top of my trunk on the luggage rack, it gets my weight up so high I can feel it. I'm sure yours would be better in that respect.

You could even make your rack bigger and attach wheelie bars to it!

A+ for your efforts!

·
Registered
241 Posts
That's a great job Bones! Keeps the center of gravity down, looks like a nice size to load enough, and not so obtrusive. The only problem I can see is if you need to get into the trunk when the rack is loaded. So, what are you going to sell them for? :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
palarimer said:
He said he only had $20 in it so in the BMW world that wold translate into a sale price of roughly $360 right?
Slap a BMW badge on it and you can mark it up even more!

I think I would add some kind of LED lights wired into your brake light just to make sure that people behind you have no chance of not seeing those brake lights. Plus, that adds another couple hundred to the retail price!

I have noticed that we are missing a very important emoticon on this site, a cash register or something to that effect. Maybe there was at one time and it was discontinued for overuse :histerica

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I keep coming back to this lookin at the photos and wondering if you are in traffic
and a semi or tall delivery type truck was behind you, would the stuff
in the rack hide your brake lites?? :eek:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
phydough said:
I keep coming back to this lookin at the photos and wondering if you are in traffic
and a semi or tall delivery type truck was behind you, would the stuff
in the rack hide your brake lites?? :eek:
Good point, too bad I was liking it... time to add a break light on the back of that Rack Mr. Bones

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol guys.

Believe it or not I welded it up with a 110 mig from HF.
The mig actually works great...not a very long duty time..but hey...I take a drink in between welds!
I bought it for working on karts and other lighter duty stuff and I'm very happy with it..some splatter because of no gas..but hey.
I have used 2000 dollar migs before..so I have been around them.

My work is not pretty enough to sell to anybody.
I bent the cross runs in a vise using the first one I did to check the rest.
I'm pretty much a *******..lol.

With it loaded with the sleeping bags you can see the lights fine ..I wondered about that too...but still not a bad idea to add some more..at least a led strip for the brakes ..would be cool...auto zone has one that pluses a few times before going solid on.

Is there a trailer plug on these bikes..I have not looked for one...if not tapping in seems easy enough.

Next one I make I'll drop the runs straight down the back after the stock clears the trunk.
Then put the rack around the plate area ..maybe move the plate up or mount it right to the carrier.

I only posted this cuse I didn't know if anybody has tried anything like this and just wanted to pass it along to other ********..lol.

And yes most times you will have to move whatever is on the carrier to open the trunk...unless you break the latch..lol.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thinking more about it I suppose if a semi was tailgating me he might not see the brake light..I'm going to get that led strip!
Thanks for the concern!

But normally nobody is close to my ass..I just twist the grip and go when they get to close for my comfort!
This think rocks after 5 grand ..i seen 130 on the gps on the park way..but don't tell nobody!

·
Registered
616 Posts
That's way clever...I always shuddered to think of adding more high weight on my LT by using the top rack (never did)...I had enough trouble with it as is. This looks like it would be a lot better.

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RonKMiller said:
Y'all need to have some sort of detachable charcoal basin under that bad boy. :D

Now, THAT would be *******! :wave

(Here's my boat):

https://picasaweb.google.com/MillerRonK/RonAndAmySMostExcellentTripToLakePowellAndBuildingTheYKnot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0IwHewPvEg
Took me a sec to catch what you were saying..lmao..grill going down the road..the wife could flip the burgers or maybe a big enough bump might do it!

Cool boat..very cool!
I'm going to look and read more about that when I have the time!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts