BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding with Clearwater Darlas on my bike I can honestly say it was the best investment I have made in bike upgrades. At intersections cars clearly see me better and wait for me before entering the traffic, and from a greater distance. Numerous times, I have noticed cars start to roll forward and then stop before they go because, I believe, the yellow lights offer a better depth perception (for the drivers in cars) of my distance over the headlight only.
When I initially had them installed the lights were so bright I was flashed repeatedly. I lowered the power to 20% (2nd level of brightness) and that did the trick. It’s the ideal level of visibility, without bothering drivers of cars.
Pictures of low beam and high beam are attached.
FBD

Attachments

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I feel the combination of the LED Halo lights, my white helmet and hi-vis jacket, and tipping off would-be ingressors by slight weaving side-to-side and rapid HB flashing there is no need for additional lighting. I also see the same thing w/ people starting to ingress then stopping, but even that is rare because start my weaving early enough and follow up w/ rapid flashing. I think in the past 80K miles since resuming riding after a long hiatus I've had a vehicle commence to ingress then abort maybe 3 times. Once was an elderly man who started to creep out of the alley at which point my triple-horn stopped him in his tracks. The exception for me would be if I routinely exceeded the speed limit going thru intersections where depth perception enhancement could matter more, or if I routinely road at night and then it would be for illuminating both sides of the road looking primarily for wildlife. I really liked the looks of the big Erikas hanging below the mirrors for that but decided it just isn't needed as I avoid night riding pretty much always. But yes they most assuredly increase conspicuity. My thumb is on my horn and high beam toggle always when riding thru traffic. As well my right index covers the front brake when riding thru wildlife-prone areas where fractions of a second can matter. In fact, at 60mph every 10th of a second equates to 9 feet of travel.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Well said. A great read is the "HURT" report. It was the best thing I could have done other than the MSF classes. The more you can make yourself be seen and separated visually from other vehicles the better your chance of staying out of accidents. https://firstcheckpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/hurt-report.pdf

·
Registered
170 Posts
What...loud pipes don't save lives??? lol

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200RT
302 Posts
I agree completely. The Darla's aren't cheap but I do feel like I'm being seen much more often then when I'm on my Magna which doesn't have them. I believe I've got mine set @ 30% and have never been flashed at. I do have a headlight modulator on the Magna but end up toggling it off most of the time because I'm more concerned with aggravating the already aggravated drivers on Long Island ;)

Reactions: BoulderGT3
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.