BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until several weeks ago, my PC ran well. Like a dummy, I downloaded an infected file from a "friend" on Face Book that has intermittently screwed up my computer. I had Microsoft Security Essentials but it did not prevent the problem. I was also using Google Chrome as a browser. Since the problem occurred, searches on my browser get hijacked and redirected, CPU runs at 100% most of the times, it seems, because many (5-6) scvhost.exe files show up when I do a Cont-Alt-Del.

I loaded Malwarbytes and ran it several times. Trojan files and other malware were discovered and I think removed. Running virus checks on AVG found nothing. Getting rid of Google Chrome and replacing with Firefox helped. Seems that Microsoft Defender was corrupt, so I replaced it with AVG, but I still to have a messed up computer.

I have CA PC Tune up and that seems to fix some problems and I have tried Fix it by Microsoft. Everything I run to discover and try to fix problems seems to find things and repair, but problems still exist.

My PC is running windows Windows EP and Office. (I'm thinking about loading Windows 7 on the PC since I have a lite version of it on my netbook and it's a lot like EP) I have critical stuff backed up and can probably reload everything.

How do I get rid of everything on my computer and reload all of my software and know that the problem is still not residing on a file somewhere. If I format my hard drive is it completely clean? Are there any Silver Bullets or magic software I could run to really discover my problem?

Maybe it's time to finally make the switch to Mac?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Grab your XP CD and boot from it and do a clean install. Tell it to reformat the drive when prompted to fix/re-install.

Make sure you have saved all our important files somewhere off that hard drive before you do the format. Formatting your drive will erase everything off that drive.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It is possible to clean this but it will take talent and tools. Is it worth it to you to pay someone to fix it, or is it not worth the effort and expense because you are diligent in backing up your files?

NOTE: If it is your practice to do complete backups rather than just your stuff, and if you have recently backed up your computer, don't use that image; its infected.

FYI: I nuke and rebuild from fdisk all seven of my computers twice each year. I also use an arsenal of tools to prevent bugs. Too many years as a sailor taught me a lesson about bugs. :{0

PS: When you facebook your friend, you facebook with everyone your friend has ever facebooked with.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts

Did that six years ago, and I am still using the same mac mini with one Ram addition, and one operating system upgrade. Never looked back...

No viruses, no pop ups, clean e-mail, seamless I-phone syn'cs, and best of all: the few times I had questions, someone in California answered the phone and knew what they were talking about. The bad thing? Still have to use a PC at work :)

PS: Recently added two Apple TV units. Too cool and slick. Music, movies and pictures in the whole house.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wolfgang said:

Did that six years ago, and I am still using the same mac mini with one Ram addition, and one operating system upgrade. Never looked back...

No viruses, no pop ups, clean e-mail, seamless I-phone syn'cs, and best of all: the few times I had questions, someone in California answered the phone and knew what they were talking about. The bad thing? Still have to use a PC at work :)

PS: Recently added two Apple TV units. Too cool and slick. Music, movies and pictures in the whole house.
More and more software is porting into the Mac, it is nice. You end up with the security and multi-user friendliness of linux while retaining a lot of the ease of use that the PC enjoys. One mistake a lot of people make with Mac is that they use accounts with admin rights as a personal account. Create an admin account, create new user accounts that are not admin and then use the other accounts. It helps to protect the system from having unwanted software and spyware installed. As a home system, they are great.

However I have also supported them in the enterprise environment and I can tell you, they have a host of issues when it comes to solid management in an office. It's something Apple needs to fix if they ever want to make serious inroads into the office environment.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DaveDragon said:
Download Spybot Search and Destroy. It will root out the problems.
Dave,

I ran Spybot and it found what appeared to be lots of problems which I deleted. I still seem to be having problems. I did a search and it got hijacked! Guess I'll run the malware searcher again...

thanks all for the advise. I'm still digging..

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Wolfgang said:

+1 on going MAC to solve the PC problem. I bought my Powerbook G4 six years ago and it's still running strong with no problems. In that period of time, my wife went through 3 different Dell PC's with the story always the same. Worked well for a year or so, then became infected. Managed to clean it a few times, but then finally got to the point where it just wouldn't work anymore and replaced it. She finally saw the light about 4 months ago and bought a MAC. Shakes her head in disbelief as to why she didn't do it sooner. When she bought it, she also purchased a training package for $95 which gives her unlimited one on one lessons at the MAC store for 12 months. She is a VERY happy MAC convert.

·
Old Dawg
3,283 Posts
I would suggest a clean install of Windows as suggested above instead of spending all the time trying to run different programs that may never get rid of the bug.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
scottydawg said:
I would suggest a clean install of Windows as suggested above instead of spending all the time trying to run different programs that may never get rid of the bug.
+1

·
Registered
820 Posts
I feel your pain. Last night at 9:10 my AVG was interrupted while running a scan by Win32/Trojan. So far I have not been able to resolve the issue or even get rid of the red warning notice on the screen. I tried to run a scan but it was interrupted and stopped by (I assume) the same virus. Ideas? Also, I back up to an HP Simple Save. It was connected at the time the Win32/Trojan apparently inserted. Is the Simple Save infected too?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Maybe a group-buy of Mac's is in order... :rotf:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I format the drives and reinstall windows on my home notebook and the desktops at the office every 6 months or so.Regardless if there are issues or not.A fresh installation of an operating system and any programs runs so much better.It only takes about one hour,depending on the amount of data that needs to be saved and reinstalled later.No problem solving program is going to bring your machine back to a new out of the box state.

Regards,Rob.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Sounds like you've got rootkit activity.. www.combofix.org

Download and run a program called Combofix... This will get rid of the rootkits..
I had one the other day that infected the boot sector... Combofix found it...

1. Turn off system restore.
2. Restart computer in safe mode with networking.
3. Run Malwarebytes.
4. Run combofix.exe
Maybe run malwarebytes again.....
Then, Run your anti-virus..

Also, Check the hosts file and make sure it's not being re-directed..
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
The only entry it should have is...

127.0.0.1 localhost

Do a full reset on Internet explorer..

Also look in scheduled tasks in the control panel for anything that might cause it to reinstall itself....

Since you've already run the malwarebytes this will probably get you going......

Combofix runs at a really low level in the machine and can get rid of the pesky stuff the others can't...

I do this all day everyday and I can tell you this get's your computer back 95% of the time..
The other 5%.. Well, Backup the data. Blow it out and start again...

Good Luck

John

Good Luck..

John

·
Registered
445 Posts
JPSpen said:
Sounds like you've got rootkit activity.. www.combofix.org

Download and run a program called Combofix... This will get rid of the rootkits..
I had one the other day that infected the boot sector... Combofix found it...

1. Turn off system restore.
2. Restart computer in safe mode with networking.
3. Run Malwarebytes.
4. Run combofix.exe
Maybe run malwarebytes again.....
Then, Run your anti-virus..

Also, Check the hosts file and make sure it's not being re-directed..
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
The only entry it should have is...

127.0.0.1 localhost

Do a full reset on Internet explorer..

Also look in scheduled tasks in the control panel for anything that might cause it to reinstall itself....

Since you've already run the malwarebytes this will probably get you going......

Combofix runs at a really low level in the machine and can get rid of the pesky stuff the others can't...

I do this all day everyday and I can tell you this get's your computer back 95% of the time..
The other 5%.. Well, Backup the data. Blow it out and start again...

Good Luck

John

Good Luck..

John
Or buy a MAC, Once with the Mac you´l never look back

Sorry needed that. :dance:

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
DanDiver said:
Up until several weeks ago, my PC ran well. Like a dummy, I downloaded an infected file from a "friend" on Face Book that has intermittently screwed up my computer. I had Microsoft Security Essentials but it did not prevent the problem. I was also using Google Chrome as a browser. Since the problem occurred, searches on my browser get hijacked and redirected, CPU runs at 100% most of the times, it seems, because many (5-6) scvhost.exe files show up when I do a Cont-Alt-Del.

I loaded Malwarbytes and ran it several times. Trojan files and other malware were discovered and I think removed. Running virus checks on AVG found nothing. Getting rid of Google Chrome and replacing with Firefox helped. Seems that Microsoft Defender was corrupt, so I replaced it with AVG, but I still to have a messed up computer.

I have CA PC Tune up and that seems to fix some problems and I have tried Fix it by Microsoft. Everything I run to discover and try to fix problems seems to find things and repair, but problems still exist.

My PC is running windows Windows EP and Office. (I'm thinking about loading Windows 7 on the PC since I have a lite version of it on my netbook and it's a lot like EP) I have critical stuff backed up and can probably reload everything.

How do I get rid of everything on my computer and reload all of my software and know that the problem is still not residing on a file somewhere. If I format my hard drive is it completely clean? Are there any Silver Bullets or magic software I could run to really discover my problem?

Yeah Dano, I agree with that whole Mac, thingy! :D

Any who, wipe your HD and do a "clean" install of Windoz 7. "Home" version should be ok, unless you need more smoke and mirrors.

Dump AVG for Avast. Also install Spybot and MS Security Essentials. Those three together, all free, btw, have kept my pc virus-free. And i visit--ER--have heard of some shady sites! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Slammer said:
Or buy a MAC, Once with the Mac you´l never look back
So ... whenever anyone posts about a mechanical failure on their BMW (i.e. final drive, clutch slave cylinder, shifter linkage, etc...), the best thing to do is replace it with a Honda, Yamaha, or Kawasaki??? (FWIW, the Kawasaki replacement is working very well for me.) ;)

Apple owners crack me up. When someone doesn't belong to your cult, you go into recruit mode. :rotf:

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
.....(FWIW, the Kawasaki replacement is working very well for me.) ;)......
Well Joe, I think you just answered your own question. The "Kawi" replacement model MAY be superior to the "BMW!" Depending on your definition of "superior," of course. :D

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Dan,

You might want to try a couple other things before you blow it up and start over. Do a little reading at this site http://www.majorgeeks.com/ to get additional advice. I had a virus problem with Windows Vista while running the microsoft security software last year, got it from a Hotel wireless hotspot, and found using a couple different "virus" tools got the problem removed. One from Trend-micro called Hijack-this helped and major geeks had a couple tools you could also try. There are a couple more tricks you could try but those are a little more technical and I would only go there just before you blow it up and start from scratch.

Don't throw in the towel yet. :dance:

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn! I've been out for a few hours and looks like I got some work to do tonight. I'll try clean installation. Probably not a bad idea. Only problem is that Windows XP ( think I said EP earlier!) is about 6 years old and so is my version of Office.

Again, thanks for all of the good suggestions. A beautiful day in on the best coast of Florida for riding... Tomorrow morning, ride the bike to the big fish tank, dive with the big fishes for a few hours and then do a little more riding.... It just can't get much better...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts