BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made my own 30MM socket, like others have, and thought I'd share my process. Just used what I had.
Bought the socket from Napa, and took my band saw to it. I made about 6 cuts over the distance I guessed I'd need (coincidently, the width of the grinding wheel on my bench grinder), and just cut the thickness of the blade. Beat a chissel in between each cut until the remaining metal popped out. Then put it to the grinder to clean it up. I used a breaker bar to hold the socket securely while in the band saw and on the grinder. That kept it from spinning on me.
I also had a 12 MM allen in a socket, which works well for removing that piece of the puzzel. You can pound the allen portion out of the socket for installation.
I used a ratcheting box end for the install, which worked really well because you can chase the cut around during torque, rather than removing a standard allen and resetting (see photos).
All in all, worked well, and not a scientific process.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Frank,
I like your bandsaw. I've been wanting something like that for a while.
Nice to be able to work metal, huh?

I have a DavidS 30mm cut out socket. He made a bunch for us on the site. After he did it, say he'd never do anything like that again. :histerica

So I have a very nice, limited edition tool. I didn't relish the idea of doing all the grinding I would have to do to fabricate one.

Thank YOU David!

Regards,

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Very nicely done! Most of us have the tools we need to make this tool according to your plan. I will have to sub a Sawz-All for the band saw but hey, at least I won't have to buy a plasma cutter.

With an impact socket like you used you the socket should have plenty of strength to support the 160 Nm (118 lb/ft) torque required to cinch the connectors down.

Thanks for sharing!

Loren

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
fpmlt said:
Made my own 30MM socket, like others have, and thought I'd share my process. Just used what I had.
Bought the socket from Napa, and took my band saw to it. I made about 6 cuts over the distance I guessed I'd need (coincidently, the width of the grinding wheel on my bench grinder), and just cut the thickness of the blade. Beat a chissel in between each cut until the remaining metal popped out. Then put it to the grinder to clean it up. I used a breaker bar to hold the socket securely while in the band saw and on the grinder. That kept it from spinning on me.
I also had a 12 MM allen in a socket, which works well for removing that piece of the puzzel. You can pound the allen portion out of the socket for installation.
I used a ratcheting box end for the install, which worked really well because you can chase the cut around during torque, rather than removing a standard allen and resetting (see photos).
All in all, worked well, and not a scientific process.
I was afraid it might require a band saw or something like that which I don't have. I suspect doing this with a hack saw would take years off my life. Time to find a machine shop.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
I used a 9" disk grinder to cut the hole in my 30MM socket . There were sparks a flying every were , but it worked .

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Patric said:
I used a 9" disk grinder to cut the hole in my 30MM socket . There were sparks a flying every were , but it worked .
Yes. A die grinder works very well or even a 4 or 5 inch grinder with a cut off blade. Used to use these a lot back when I worked. A sawzall will work, but a lot harder to control. I find myself cussing a lot more when I use it for stuff like that. YMMV. :D

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I used a cut off saw at a muffler shop and cut off the top portion. Then I ground it down to fit the side of the other piece 1.5" center to center and welded them together.......... :D

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
rattler50 said:
I used a cut off saw at a muffler shop and cut off the top portion. Then I ground it down to fit the side of the other piece 1.5" center to center and welded them together.......... :D
Picture, my kingdom for a picture! :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I took my socket to the machine shop at work. He said he wouldn't try it on the bridgeport and went for the surface grinder. Made a beautiful window in the socket for me.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have had success with a Dremmel tool with cutoff wheel on some pretty hard stuff. Don't know how it would do on something as hard as a socket? Just a thought.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dremel tool and a few disks worked just fine!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:
I took my socket to the machine shop at work. He said he wouldn't try it on the bridgeport and went for the surface grinder. Made a beautiful window in the socket for me.
Wouldja like to take one to work for me?

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
My socket is rather crude in comparison but functional......... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Jim, I think it's beautiful! What effect does the offset have on the torque value? Does the socket try to slip off the end of the (whatever you call the things)? Having done this procedure once this design looks like an improvement over the window socket as it would allow you to use a T handle hex tool instead of the usual hex key.

Loren

rattler50 said:
My socket is rather crude in comparison but functional......... :D

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Jim, I think it's beautiful! What effect does the offset have on the torque value? Does the socket try to slip off the end of the (whatever you call the things)? Having done this procedure once this design looks like an improvement over the window socket as it would allow you to use a T handle hex tool instead of the usual hex key.

Loren
None, if you orient the torque wrench such that it is at a 90 degree angle to a line draw between the center of the socket and the center of the square drive hole.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:
It would have worked fine but does require a carbide bit and is a serious pain as David discovered.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts