BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- Well finally after yelling, screaming, slamming the phones dealership agreed to deliver and install the AM/FM/Sirius-XM Unit for free of charge. So, that's the ONLY good news so far!

- Talked to BMW Motorrad and they said there are two types of radios as they call (Audio Control Unit) and they said one of those types is available if my bike requires that type but the other is not available right now and at BMW Motorrad USA they are waiting to hear from mothership in Germany! They were hoping they will have an idea within a week or two.

- I would like to have Clearwater lights (Erica) installed on my RT and I would like them to installed by the mirrors area. Because time to time I use my own bike at Police volunteer duties and I'd like to have two flashing lights at a higher level. The problem is Clearwater tech I talked on the phone mentioned their brackets doesn't work for mirror area anymore because BMW changed the design of the cowling. I was wondering if anybody is aware of any aftermarket light bar or bracket model for an RT so I will be able to do what I wanted to accomplish?

- Where can I find RTP style crash bars? Who makes them? Any idea?

- I guess Kisan does not make a headlight modulator for 21 RT... Anybody knows anyone does that or modulating brake lights or converting rear turn signals into driving lights or extra brake lights etc...

·
Registered
405 Posts
That is interesting as the wing mirror housing looks the same as on the 20 1250. I have the Denali wing mirror mounts on my 2020 bike and Denali seemed to think they would also fit the 21 model. I will have a 21 model fleet bike later in the month and will see if the mounts will still work as I'll have the panels off to fit the Illium front bars.

·
Registered
123 Posts
- Talked to BMW Motorrad and they said there are two types of radios as they call (Audio Control Unit) and they said one of those types is available if my bike requires that type but the other is not available right now and at BMW Motorrad USA they are waiting to hear from mothership in Germany! They were hoping they will have an idea within a week or two.
Can you expand on this at all? Or is that literally the bulk of the information they provided. Just asking.
I'm in the same boat and would like to have as much info in hand when I talk to my dealership.
Were there part numbers for the different Radios? Or maybe a VIN decode that says what radio you needed?
I preordered mine in Oct 2020, build sheet says everything was on there, Delivered With Radio Prep sans ACU mid June...

Reactions: CaptJDavis

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
513 Posts
I have not found any headlight modulator that works for the RT since the wetheads came out. So I think that'll be a no go, not likely to happen.
You can buy the Skene rear P3 system. You install the module in the back. Tap the brake wire into the one that goes to your trunk. You can get the turn signal model that will turn the P3 lights into turns as well. I'm not sure about turning those stock ones into running lights. But the P3's will be running lights already. And brake light modulator.
I spliced my P3 into the trunk brake light so that trunk light also operates as a running light. It doesn't by stock.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm also running P3s as extra brake lights. But I've wired to my Denali Cansmart, which also runs the Denali spots.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you expand on this at all? Or is that literally the bulk of the information they provided. Just asking.
I'm in the same boat and would like to have as much info in hand when I talk to my dealership.
Were there part numbers for the different Radios? Or maybe a VIN decode that says what radio you needed?
I preordered mine in Oct 2020, build sheet says everything was on there, Delivered With Radio Prep sans ACU mid June...
Well that was the bulk of the information from the BMW Motorrad USA. But as of today I talked to General Manager of the dealership I've purchased my bike and he said. He talked to BMW Motorrad USA and after giving my bike's VIN to them they determined which type of ACU my bike will take and they figured out BMW had one for me. I've been told within a week it will be at the dealership and they will install it for me.
My situation is a little different.
First of all I wasn't aware this missing radios due to global chip shortage issue. Didn't do my homework before jumping on a new RT. Very unlike me but it was a rush decision!
At the dealership I was told by the salesman that the bike was fully loaded and had a radio+Sirius installed and Sirius had 6 months free trial subscription.
Since my 2018 RT came like that I thought "oh BMW still doing it I guess" and didn't even notice bike didn't have an ACU on it.
So dispute with the dealership solved by them providing me a Free ACU and installing also will be free. Plus they offered me a free 2 piece BMW communication unit for helmets. I use my Sena 50S but whatever the BMW one is they are shipping it to me.

I have no idea how they figured out which type ACU my bike takes. My only assumption is VIN number played a role on that.
But dealership's General Manager was really nice gentleman and I am happy if everything happens as I was promised today!
So far so good!

·
Registered
123 Posts
@CaptJDavis Appreciated the response. I'm going to call my GM today armed with that info.

Reactions: CaptJDavis
1 - 7 of 7 Posts